Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
yakimant

Spotify team,

Can you please reply, at least, is it possible techincally to have offline playlists on Apple Watch without iphone around?

What's the point of hiding it?

You can either tell, that it is possible and you are working on it, so I will wait calmly or you cat tell, that there is no technical posiblity - so only Apple Music can have such a feature - then we can blame Apple and make it loud, because it is unfair play.

For_chaza

Spotify, 

This how Fitbit lost me as a customer, I have an Apple Watch now and I'm not going to change things any time soon. I don't want to leave Spotify but It's time that you supported, what a lot of customers are asking for. 

Its time for for at least an update!!!!

Ruthboy03
After trying both the free trial for Spotify and Apple Music I decided to go with Spotify because of the playlists and Spotify has music that is not on Apple Music. However after buying an Apple Watch and just assuming a big music company like Spotify would have an app for the watch, I found out to my disappoint that they do not. Hopefully an app is in the works because I do not want to go back to Apple Music but with the watch it just doesn't make sense to stay at Spotify. Hopefully Spotify will hold true with that is on their website and really allow you to "play on all your devices". I am very skeptical that Spotify will come to the Apple Watch because this is the 2nd gen of Apple Watch and still no Spotify. Please bring Spotify to Apple Watch or I guess it is back to Apple Music.
IMG_0487.PNG
FergiDotCom

It turns out that when you are playing Spotify on your iPhone, a Spotify watch application appears magically in the watch dock, where the Apple Music app normall is. This app lets you forward/ pause, control the volume and vote thumb up or thumb down. Then sometimes the Apple Music app is in the dock even though I don't want it there and I cannot find the Spotify app anywhere, even if I reboot the watch. Getting closer but not there yet! 

Anybody have any insight on where the Spotify watch app comes from and how to get it back when the Apple Music app gets its hooks into the watch?

bandtank
That's not a Spotify app. You're seeing the Now Playing dock app. There's also a Music dock app, which still isn't for Spotify.
FergiDotCom
I am not sure what it is, but it sure looks like a Spotify app and it definitely does the job. See the following screen shots.

bandtank
I don't see any pictures, but you might be using the Joy app. Just guessing...
xcrunner529

Premium cancelled and went to Apple Music because it fully works with the Watch.

remremrem
I cancelled my Spotify premium membership only because of this : the unability to sync playlists to Apple Watch. Other than this, i found that Spotify was perfect, what a shame!
I dont think i am alone in that case, so move on quickly Spotify or you'll eventually lose a lot of customers to Apple Music!
noreason4
Same here.. thinking of switching to Apple Music. It's no joy carrying an iPhone 6s Plus with me while running. I want to use the watch only. Please Spotify Devs..