Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playback glitching/ sounds like broken record on iOS (iPhone SE)

Playback glitching/ sounds like broken record on iOS (iPhone SE)

As I'm playing a downloaded song on the app, at some point the playback will glitch out, loop and repeat over about a half second of audio, akin to a broken record. For example, I just had "Talk tha-Talk tha-Talk tha-Talk tha-Talk tha-Talk that talk baby" blasted into my ears. The songs are downloaded, and will play fine sometimes (so it's not a streaming issue, and the downloaded files themselves aren't corrupt). It happens regardless of if they're playing through headphones, phone speakes, or bluetooth speaker. The number of times it repeats the same section also varies, if that helps.

Any ideas?

13 Replies

This has started happening to me too! Really weird! Ruining the listening experience! 

Out of curiosity, did you recently get an apple watch?

No,I’ve not got an Apple Watch. I have never had the problem before but it seems to happen more often. Need to see if I can record the issue on video.

Hello Theonejzzo!

I've personally never experienced this behavior before, but it I can imagine a few causes.

For additional information,

Are you using your Iphone SE when the glitching happens? (Is it unlocked?)

Are you watching/playing any other media on your phone when the glitching happens?
Does the glitching occur when Spotify is in Offline mode too?
Is your phone doing any resource-heavy tasks such as downloading a large file, rendering, etc. when the glitching happens?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Gilbert

Hi Gilbert,
It’s happened even when Spotify is in offline mode, the phone is locked, and there aren’t any other apps open.

Hi All,

It may be that this was a problem with Apple's iOS 11.3, and not with the Spotify app. Apparently multiple iPhone users reported "audio skipping/stuttering" on multiple audio apps with  iOS 11.3. 

The iOS 11.4 update is reported to fix this, BUT I have experienced the glitch since updating.

EDIT: I have experienced this bug with iOS 11.4, despite Apple claiming to have addressed this glitch.

I have experienced this glitch with iOS11.4. I do not experience a glitch like this when listening to Apple Music.

Yeah, I have also experienced the glitch. Hopefully someone from spotify will work on this. I find Spotify's support dreadful, especially for premium members.

Very counter intuitive right? I have been a premium member for 4 - 5 years. I am currently in a free trial of Apple Music. Its close to being a great alternative. Hopefully they give some updates during WWDC conference that make it a bit more appealing. If I wanted to be frustrated by music skipping, I would get my CDs from high school out of my closet.

To update this issue, I have been listening recently to Apple Music and the issue carries through to Apple Music. This does not appear to be a Spotify issue but rather a 11.4 issue. Spendid \s

1. **bleep**, think I was the only one with this specific issue, my iPhone SE have the same problem and the iOS update is not solving anything about it. 😕 

Everybody, quick, to the Apple Forums! I'll bring the pitchforks if you get the torches.

Side note: Even though Spotify likely isn't the cause of this bug, I'm still annoyed that they have so little support for even paying members.

Hey Community,

have the same issue with my SE and Spotify, feels like for 3 to 4 weeks now. Have 11.4 and i am located in Germany.

First i thought its a streaming issue but i noticed this occurs with downloaded songs as well.

What i noticed: The song stops for one second at a random spot and a few second later the glitch occurs.

Found no useful hints on the internet. What I tried so far:

- Changed Streaming Quality from Automatic to low and to high (high is the quality for downloaded songs)

- Closed all apps in background

- Restarted the iPhone

I just write to up this thread and stay informed.

Greeting!

Edit: Noticed that the glitch is sometimes random but i can force it by locking the screen. After lock a few seconds later the music stops and then there is the glitch.

Suggested posts