Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlist can't be played even though available in Spotify, app crashes when song is re-added

Solved!

Playlist can't be played even though available in Spotify, app crashes when song is re-added

So it seems like other people have experienced this too and that reinstalling the app solved the issue, but it didn't for me.

Some of my playlists have songs that are available in Spotify greyed out. When I click on them, it says I have to add them locally. (Example: the entire Explosions in the Sky catalog.) Also, the songs that are greyed out are totally random. I have a 100-song Bob Dylan playlist. Just now, I opened it up and only 57 songs were playable. I closed Spotify and re-opened it, and 69 songs were playable.

The only option I seem to have is to manually add the missing songs, but when I do that, the app crashes. Also, when my wife logged into my account on her iPhone, it worked fine. We both have iPhone 5s with the latest Spotify update installed.

I've uninstalled and then re-installed the app and nothing changed.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

You aren't the only one who has reported iTune local file issues recently, in fact I think another one of the super users did escalate it as an issue to the Spotify staff. 

For now remaking the playlist with any missing tracks is all I can think to do!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hey! 🙂 

Those files you are having issues with, do you have them stored as local files (like mp3's or downloads from iTunes) on your main computer? 

Peter

Peter

Yes. So I've thought about completely unsynching Spotify from my main computer and just using the cloud.

@mercuriocavald wrote:

Yes. So I've thought about completely unsynching Spotify from my main computer and just using the cloud.

Yes that is where your issue will be coming from. 

If you added any tracks as local files to playlists, Spotify will try its best to match them to ones in its catalgoue but it really expects you to sync your local files to your device, which you can do following the steps here.

Peter

Peter

But I had no issues at all until a couple weeks ago. I'm only talking about local files that Spotify already has in their catalogue. Not local files I added myself. So in the past, Spotify was able to match them and now not anymore? But the matching seems random too. Like I said, some songs work one minute and then they don't the next. 

So as a solution, I should unsync Spotify from iTunes on my main computer, then remake my playlists from Spotify's own catalogue?

Marked as solution

You aren't the only one who has reported iTune local file issues recently, in fact I think another one of the super users did escalate it as an issue to the Spotify staff. 

For now remaking the playlist with any missing tracks is all I can think to do!

Peter

Peter

Awesome. Thank you! 

Suggested posts