Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlist including songs already stored on ipod

Playlist including songs already stored on ipod

I've been really enjoying being the "offline playlists" feature on my ipod, however, I've only synced playlists of songs on spotify and not also the songs already on my ipod imported from itunes. While using my laptop it's no problem as I can make a playlist including both songs from spotify and songs that are already in my local files. However, if I want to play this playlist on my ipod it asks me to "publish offline" so that I can listen to the local files, despite them already being on my ipod. I assumed this to mean that an additional copy of the local files would be synced onto my ipod rather than spotify just playing the files straight from my ipod. Is this the case?

Sorry if this is a little confusing, I'll happily clarify anything.

2 Replies

@tg1413 wrote:

I've been really enjoying being the "offline playlists" feature on my ipod, however, I've only synced playlists of songs on spotify and not also the songs already on my ipod imported from itunes. While using my laptop it's no problem as I can make a playlist including both songs from spotify and songs that are already in my local files. However, if I want to play this playlist on my ipod it asks me to "publish offline" so that I can listen to the local files, despite them already being on my ipod. I assumed this to mean that an additional copy of the local files would be synced onto my ipod rather than spotify just playing the files straight from my ipod. Is this the case?

Sorry if this is a little confusing, I'll happily clarify anything.

Don't worry, I think I understood 😉

I don't actually think the iOS/Android app can detect music on your device, which is stupid. 

You could try a test, with one imported track in a playlist and publish it offline and see what happens 🙂

That would answer your question,

thanks and sorry I couldn't help more!

That's really irritating, I think (apart from this of course) the spotify app is pretty brilliant for being able to listen to and sync any song, so being able to include my own tracks in that would be the icing on the cake. Let's hope that kind of integration is something they include in a later update of the app! I'll give that a go. I've noticed that there's a playlist called "local files" on my ipod, but it only contains 8 songs, which happen to be songs that I have on locally on my laptop which I've starred and therefore automatically get synced to my ipod. But yeah, as far as I'm aware, these are just copies of the files on my laptop rather than the original tracks that are already stored on my ipod, as some of the tracks I don't actually have in my itunes.

Suggested posts