Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Podcast Episode List Scroll Location Resetting to Top

Podcast Episode List Scroll Location Resetting to Top

Premium, US, iPhone 11 Pro Max, App, iOS 15.7

Spotify is not remembering where in the list of episodes I was scrolled to last. So every time I open the app, I have to scroll through hundreds of episodes to get to the one I was previously listening to.

I have tried completely deleting and reinstalling the app. Though this is Apple so who knows what that really does. Once reinstalled I didn’t even have to log in again so obviously it didn’t “delete all data” as it claims.

I have tried logging out and closing the app twice in a row.

I have tried a different podcast and the issue is NOT present. Seems to only happen to Armchair Expert.

I have a video showing the issue but it is 122MB and the attachment limit is 5.

Top Answer
Novy

Hey folks, 

If anyone's still experiencing this issue, make sure to let us know and send the full and updated info requested by @Lyubka above. 

We'll be on the lookout!

Top Answer
Lyubka

Hey there folks,

Could you please let us know if you're navigating from shortcuts or from Home or a specific shelf? 

Any additional details (such as device's make, model and OS, Spotify version ) will be very helpful to our investigation as well. Sending us a quick video of how the issue looks like would come in handy. 

We'll be on the lookout for your replies. 

30 Replies

Hey @sageRJ,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

Could you upload the video to YouTube or Google Drive and share the link? Also make sure to have a recording of how it works versus how it doesn't so we can get a clear understanding of what is going on on your end.

We'll also need the Spotify version you're using.

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Thanks for the response! This video shows it not saving location for the first show and then saving correctly on the next one tried. Then finally I go back into the first show to show it has again reset to the top of the episode list. I have no “sort by” preferences used/saved either.

Spotify Premium version 8.7.68.568

https://www.mediafire.com/file/2nzda4ltg7gbwq9/IMG_5149.MOV/file

Hey @sageRJ,

Thanks for sending over the video, we really appreciate the effort!

We've tested this on our end and we were able to reproduce the issue. Before we forward this to the relevant team, can you please let us know if there are any other podcasts that behave the same?

Looking forward to your reply.

Take care,

MihailYModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I only listen to these two shows. 

I find myself not listening to podcast episodes on my mobile (where I do 95% of my listening) because you have to scroll through sometimes hundreds of episodes to find the "last played" episode. It would be amazing to have a function where you can find your "in progress" episodes, or a "continue where you left off" type thing when you click into a specific podcast, where the episode you were last listening to is listed at the top and then you can carry on from there. Saves endless scrolling.

Hey @sageRJ,

Thanks for your reply. 

We're afraid we couldn't open the video because of security reasons. Would you mind trying again? You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. You can also upload it to Google Drive and share the link with us (make sure the video has the permissions for anyone to see it).

On another note, would you mind sending us the podcasts' URIs? We'll take a closer look. 

Additionally, sending us the exact Spotify version of your phone would come in handy. 

We'll be on the lookout. 

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi there @sageRJ,

Thanks for the info and the video.

We've reported this to our internal tech teams handling podcasts. We'll get back to you here as soon as we have more information on why this might be happening.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Hi Alex,  was there ever a solution found to this issue.  My Spotify app on iPhone has started doing this recently with my podcasts specifically Behind the Bastards.  Very frustrating as I have to scroll from the beginning of the episode list each time I reopen Spotify.  There are a lot of episodes and I’m still working through 2020’s list.  Hope a solution has been found.

Cheers 

Drew the hoser  🇨🇦 

Hey there folks,

Could you please let us know if you're navigating from shortcuts or from Home or a specific shelf? 

Any additional details (such as device's make, model and OS, Spotify version ) will be very helpful to our investigation as well. Sending us a quick video of how the issue looks like would come in handy. 

We'll be on the lookout for your replies. 

LyubkaModerator

Mine seems to be remembering location again but only if I scroll down to “Your shows” on the homepage. Or when going to “Your Library” in the bottom menu. It does not remember when using one of those six shortcuts up top when you first open the app. I tried to attach a picture to show what I mean but it says “the file type .jpeg is not supported. Valid files types include jpg” ..etc. Should probably have the engineers fix that too..

I came here looking for a solution to the same issue. It specifically happens for me with Armchair Expert (every single time), but not other podcasts, and I listen to several different podcasts. Version 8.8.1 (but also happened in previous version).

This happens to me with all the podcasts I listen to (Making Sense, EconTalk, etc). At a minimum, there needs to be a "jump to the top of the list" button.

Hey folks, 

Thanks for posting here.

Can you please also provide the other info that @Lyubka has requested above along with a short screen recording of the issue, so we can pass it on to the team investigating this?

Thanks!

MihailYModerator

Hey folks, 

If anyone's still experiencing this issue, make sure to let us know and send the full and updated info requested by @Lyubka above. 

We'll be on the lookout!

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

This also happens to me. I primarily listen to JRE. If I go back and listen to an old podcast, it’ll set me in the list to that location lest I go and play something immediately new. A “go to top” feature was sorely missed on  all gigantic lists in the app. That would be a user friendliness feature.  

ios 16.3.1 — has been a problem across multiple versions and iPhones for me.

iphone 14 pro. 
 I’ll work on getting the screenshare later. Don’t feel like jumping through hoops because this doesn’t support .mov upload. 

Issue was resolved for the last few months but now is back for armchair expert as of last week. 

It's absolutely frustrating as there's no other option than to scroll for an eternity on the podcast page until I get back to where I was. I can't reliably use the unplayed sorting option as sometimes I fall asleep while listening and have to backtrack to 1 or 2 episodes before the one the app think i'm at, but those episode won't appear with this option on. 

Just to be clear : This on the android app on a samsung galaxy phone, so when I click on one of my podcast in the listened recently section of my homepage (not the icon at the top right), without fail, for some podcast, like Behind the Bastards, it will always remember which episode I was at and the page will be scrolled to the right episode when I click on the BtB icon on my homepage. But when I listened to, let's say, Planet Money, it will NEVER remember which episode I was at and the page will load at the top with the podcast description everytime.

I could use the listened recently icon at the top right of the app to get back to the episode, but stupidly it will loose the queue and only play this specific episode and not the one that comes after, so it's completly useless for podcast, especially ones like Planet Money that are only 20-30min per episode.... (also with the latest spotify update this button has disapeared, I only see a lighting bolt icon)

Is there a solution to my problem that I haven't found? I gave 2 exemple, but it's really inconsistent, it's about 50/50 between podcast that remember which episode I was at and other that don't. Also, it would be a lot easier if spotify simply  added a big button that simply play the last podcast episode you listened to at the timing you where at, and without loosing the queue of episodes from that show, how hard can that be ? Thanks for the help guys. 

This is still an issue. Just want to continue listening to a podcast where I left off, not scroll back hundreds of episodes each time. Spotify has to be the worst platform to listen to any catalogued or episode based media. Just non existent product management attention given to their podcasts. Why do they even host podcasts at all. 

Suggested posts