Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Podcast episodes in Queue not playing automatically

Hey everyone,

We're receiving reports about podcast episodes not playing automatically one after the other in Your Episodes, playlists, Queue and the show itself. If there are 2 episodes queued one after the other, the second one gets skipped. If there are podcast episodes queued when playing songs, the podcast episodes are getting skipped. Some users report that when there's a podcast episode in the queue it will get skipped and will break the queue.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue!

We’re happy to confirm that this should now be fixed for everyone! Just make sure your app is updated to the latest version.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!

Comments
Jeremy

Hi there @acan2468,

Thank you for your reply and for the video.

Podcast episodes play form old to new (bottom to top).

If your start playing an episode and change sorting afterwards - the queue will not change.

This is expected behavior and works the same with songs in playlists as well.

Just to confirm - do you want to play the episodes in reverse order?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

acan2468

Yes, I’m trying to play the episodes in reverse order. Is that possible? 

CarlosE

Hey @acan2468,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

That should be possible as long as you don't change the sorting while already playing the podcast. You can sort the podcast as you like and then start playing it, and the episodes should play in that order.

We'll be right here in case you have any questions.

Cheers!

acan2468

Here's another video. In the beginning, I'm playing a song in one of my playlists. Then I decide to go to a Podcast. Before I select an episode, it's sorted from Oldest to Newest. Then I play the episode Pot it Like It's Hot, above that episode is Sprouting Lists Of Tips To Keep Your Plants Alive and below the episode I selected is It's Hard Out Here For A Slug. I then check the queue as see that It's Hard Out Here For A Slug is going to play next. Okay... So now I decide to go play some music again. And then I want to go back to my podcast. Since the episode isn't playing, I go and change the sort to Newest to Oldest. Once the episode starts playing I check to the Queue. And again, even though I changed the sorting the next Episode is still It's Hard Out Here For A Slug. Is this expected behavior to not change the direction in which episodes are played in a podcast?? Please help.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18pG9NMkOXVmfUE-hlDZGz9BSsmdNeEWm/view?usp=sharing 

CarlosE

Hey @acan2468,

Thanks for keeping in touch and for that info.

Sorry for any confusion. We can confirm that it's expected that the episodes will play from oldest to newest in the mobile app disregarding of the sorting selected.

However, you can choose the order of the podcasts you want to listen to by manually adding them to the Queue from the 3-dot menu > Add to Queue. That way, the episodes will be played in the order you added them to the Queue.

Hope this clears things up. We'll be right here in case you need anything else.

foxmidnight3

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

OnePlus 6

Operating System

Android

My Question or Issue

When queueing podcasts in the "up next" or into the actual playlist, the player skips over any podcasts and proceeds to the next song. All audio is downloaded to my device. Will not play a podcast unless I open the queue and select the podcast manually.

This used to be an occasional glitch I lived with and now is occurs every time. Attempted restarting application and device, attempted using offline mode.

Very frustrating for someone who prefers to mix in their daily podcasts with some music, as inspired by Spotify's own Daily Drive auto-mix.

im_xavy

Hi, I am also having the same issue now. I tried everything - restarted the phone, logged-out then in, cleared data/cache, uninstalling and re-installing the app.

Eni

Hi there folks! 

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

@foxmidnight3, first up, it's well worth running a clean reinstall to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. This one is more thorough than the usual one. If this doesn't do the trick, it's also a good idea to exclude the app from any Battery optimization software that might be active on your smartphone.

@im_xavy, you mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, but would you mind going through the steps of a clean reinstall, as it's more thorough than a normal one? Also, could you let us know if this happens across devices or only on your phone?

We'll be on the lookout for your replies.

Alex403
This is happening to me as well. The queue for the podcast is not working. I will add podcasts to the queue, then once the current episode is over, the queue gets reset, and nothing plays. I have done a clean reinstall. I've restarted my phone. I do not have anyone with spotify that I know. I tried to create a new account, but could not test the podcast queue without getting premium for a second account. What should I do moving forward? I have an Android and the app is fully updated.
Hettar7

Plan: Premium

Operating System: Android

Phone: Samsung Note 8

I am having this issue and none of the "solutions" has solved it. Prior to this, i have added episodes of various podcasts in random order to the "your episodes" playlist and just let them play through. Now, it only plays whatever episode in the "your episodes" playlist i hit play on and then stops and does not play the next one in the list.

I have done a clean reinstall complete with deleting the spotify file from the data folder on my phone.

I made sure autoplay is on

I am attempting to play the podcasts in the "your episodes" playlist that you all created rather than going to the individual shows. 

I jave tried adding podcasts to a new playlist but it still will not automatically play the next episode.

This is only an issue with podcasts. Music playlists will automatically play the next song in the list.

With each "update" spotify is less user friendly and more difficult to use. If this issue is not fixed i will not be able to continue paying for this service as i listen to podcasts driving to work and it is extremly dangerous for me to take my eyes off the road to have to hit play on the next episode when one podcast episode ends.