Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Premium Subscribtion cannot be selected in iOS app

Solved!

Premium Subscribtion cannot be selected in iOS app

None of the banners in the ‚Premium‘ section of the app can be tapped in order to select one of the Premium plans. 

Plan

Free

Country

Germany

Device

iPhone 8

Operating System

iOS 13.1.3

App Version 

Different issue: .jpeg attachments are not supported here. This doesn’t allow me to add a standard iOS screenshot. A classic issue from ancient times 🙄

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

It’s not possible to subscribe to premium within the app. It’s not a bug, it’s working as intended.
The reason behind this is that Apple takes 15% or 30% cut from in-app purchases so either the developer has to lose that amount with each in-app purchase or raise the price by Apple’s cut. Also Apple doesn’t allow links in the app that forward the customer to a web page to pay for the service like that.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hey @Kriiiii, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear this.

Could you try getting Premium here

Let me know how this goes!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi there @Kriiiii,

thanks for posting!

Please try this help page which provides the right steps on how to subscribe to Premium.

Let me know if it helped 

Hi folks. Thanks for the suggestions. Of couse there are alternative ways of subscribing to Premium. I had already found these myself. 

I posted this issue as a bug report specifically for the iOS app - the latest update of the app did not fix the issue and I thought this might be a way of raising attention to it. There might some users (including myself) that would appreciate a flawless user experience without much leaving the app if not necessary. 

Cheers

Marked as solution

It’s not possible to subscribe to premium within the app. It’s not a bug, it’s working as intended.
The reason behind this is that Apple takes 15% or 30% cut from in-app purchases so either the developer has to lose that amount with each in-app purchase or raise the price by Apple’s cut. Also Apple doesn’t allow links in the app that forward the customer to a web page to pay for the service like that.

Thanks AeroZ — thanks explains. I guess that is the sacrifice an app developer has to make when using a platform Apple. I would suspect that conversion rates for iOS users suck with this behaviour. But I guess Spotify is paying many clever people to think about stuff like that every day. So if you think that is the clever choice — your call. I for myself haven't subscribed yet — mainly due to this messed up conversion flow. But that's just me... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Cheers.

Suggested posts