Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Press 'shuffle' to play a song but a completely different song plays

Solved!

Press 'shuffle' to play a song but a completely different song plays

Hi I'm a free subscription user I have several playlists some with only one song. When I press 'shuffle' to hear a song, a completely different song plays, even when skipping the original song never comes up. I tried the Premium free trial and downloaded these playlists but after it ended I have to use wifi to listen to them. But now I can't even listen to the songs I want to listen to whereas I could before. This problem occurs when I search for singles and press 'shuffle'

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

When you are a "free subscription user", you don't have the same privileges as a premium user.

If you are using Spotify on a mobile device, it is only possible to:

• shuffle-play playlists or artists catalogues (note: Spotify does not allow playing a playlist with only one song, as it would be an exploit; similar to playing any song on demand - which is a premium feature, resulting in Spotify playing another song to prevent exploiting) 
  • create your own playlists.

However, if you use Spotify Free on a computer, then it is possible to play ANY song, on-demand - without creating any strange playlists.

But if you want to play any song on-demand on a mobile device, then you would need a premium subscription.

To conclude; what you are talking about is not a problem/bug/error on Spotify, but just a prevention against exploits, and a marketing trick to compel free users to buy a premium subscription.

Simon.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Marked as solution

When you are a "free subscription user", you don't have the same privileges as a premium user.

If you are using Spotify on a mobile device, it is only possible to:

• shuffle-play playlists or artists catalogues (note: Spotify does not allow playing a playlist with only one song, as it would be an exploit; similar to playing any song on demand - which is a premium feature, resulting in Spotify playing another song to prevent exploiting) 
  • create your own playlists.

However, if you use Spotify Free on a computer, then it is possible to play ANY song, on-demand - without creating any strange playlists.

But if you want to play any song on-demand on a mobile device, then you would need a premium subscription.

To conclude; what you are talking about is not a problem/bug/error on Spotify, but just a prevention against exploits, and a marketing trick to compel free users to buy a premium subscription.

Simon.

Suggested posts