Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile] Rearrange songs in a playlist

Solved!

[Mobile] Rearrange songs in a playlist

Plan

Premium

Country

USA 

Device

iPhone 6

Operating System

iOS 12

My Question or Issue

I’ve had this app for maybe 2 years now and I have never been able to rearrange my songs in a playlist. When I look up a solution it says to click the three dots on the top right, hit edit, then drag with the three dots next to the song. I do not see it next to any songs on my playlist. I really want to move my songs.

E427B54F-0E84-4F2C-B7C6-AC79933CF510.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Here's how I am able to do this on with the Spotify app on iOS (note that this only works on Premium with playlists that you created).

To change the sorting of your playlist:

1. Open your playlist and swipe down - the sort & filter options should appear at the top (if they don't, check if Smart Shuffle is enabled and toggle it off).
  2. Tap the Sort button and select the order you'd like to sort the playlist in.

To manually rearrange the songs in your playlist (i.e. change the Custom order😞

1. Swipe down on your playlist, tap the three dots menu and select Edit.
  2. You'll see three bars on the right of every song in your playlist. Tap & hold the three bars to drag the song and drop it to the desired position in the playlist.
  3. Tap Save in the top right corner to save your changes.

If you have the Free version of Spotify, then you won't be able to do this in the mobile app - you'll need to use the desktop app or the Web Player instead. More info here.

View solution in original post

40 Replies

Hey @mrogowski62, welcome to the Community.
Hope you're doing great!

I can’t change the order of my playlists that are using a sorting filter.

In other playlists it works just fine.

If you would like this behavior changed I’d suggest starting a new thread in the Community Ideas Exchange.

This’ll allow users, Stars, and Moderators to vote and comment on it.

Have a great day! 🙂

The Spotify iOS app allows re-organizing song order within personal playlists, but the steps changed.

Here's how to do it within iOS app version 8.4.95.

1. Open the playlist that you want to re-organize the song order.
2. Drag down the window so 3 dots appear in the upper right, and pull down a second time so the "search" window now appears.
3. Touch the 3 bars that appear to the right of the "search" window.
4. Touch "custom", which returns you to the playlist window.
5. Touch the 3 dots (upper right) and select "Edit".
6. Touch and hold the 3 bars the right of the song you wish to move within the playlist.
7. Drag the song to the new location and release it.
8. Touch "done" in the upper right.  That's it!

When I go into the playlist I am following all of the steps and it appears spotify removed the edit button what do I do?

@nehlslowe wrote:

The Spotify iOS app allows re-organizing song order within personal playlists, but the steps changed.

Here's how to do it within iOS app version 8.4.95.

1. Open the playlist that you want to re-organize the song order.
2. Drag down the window so 3 dots appear in the upper right, and pull down a second time so the "search" window now appears.
3. Touch the 3 bars that appear to the right of the "search" window.
4. Touch "custom", which returns you to the playlist window.
5. Touch the 3 dots (upper right) and select "Edit".
6. Touch and hold the 3 bars the right of the song you wish to move within the playlist.

I have followed those steps and there is no edit option to use so I can chang the order of songs. The way that you suggested doesn't work.

I rechecked these steps for Spotify iOS app version 8.5.32.808. While there have been a few minor changes with the interface I am still able to use the “custom order” sorting filter for reorganizing songs in my own playlists (this does not work for playlists created by another user).

1. Open your playlist that you want to re-organize the song order.

2. Drag down the playlist window so the search box (“Find in playlist”) appears at the top.

3. To the right of the search box touch “Filters”.

4. Select "Custom order", which returns you to the playlist window.

5. Touch the 3 dots (upper right of the screen) and select "Edit".

6. Touch and hold the 3 bars that now appears to the right of the song you wish to move within the playlist.

Thank you!!!

This only works in playlists created by the user. How can I reorder the playlists that Spotify creates for me? This method doesn't work with them.

That does not appear to be an option.  Let everyone know if you figure it out.

Hey @1251541525 and @nehlslowe,

We just wanted to confirm that it's currently not possible to reorder the songs in Made for You playlists. This includes Release Radar, Discover Weekly and Daily Mix.

A workaround for this would be to save the songs from the above playlists to a new playlist. However, if you'd like for this feature to be considered by Spotify, feel free to submit a new idea for this.

You can find out how to go about submitting a new idea in this Spotify Answer.

Thanks!

You are amazing! Thank you you saved the day 😊

This doesn’t work fit me on iPhone in a playlist. Pulling down the playlist windows shows no amendment dots or lines.
It only works on the playlist Home Screen for liked songs - is anyone else experiencing this? Am on the latest versions.
Marked as solution

Here's how I am able to do this on with the Spotify app on iOS (note that this only works on Premium with playlists that you created).

To change the sorting of your playlist:

1. Open your playlist and swipe down - the sort & filter options should appear at the top (if they don't, check if Smart Shuffle is enabled and toggle it off).
  2. Tap the Sort button and select the order you'd like to sort the playlist in.

To manually rearrange the songs in your playlist (i.e. change the Custom order😞

1. Swipe down on your playlist, tap the three dots menu and select Edit.
  2. You'll see three bars on the right of every song in your playlist. Tap & hold the three bars to drag the song and drop it to the desired position in the playlist.
  3. Tap Save in the top right corner to save your changes.

If you have the Free version of Spotify, then you won't be able to do this in the mobile app - you'll need to use the desktop app or the Web Player instead. More info here.

Doss not work .  Absolutely horrible interface and what kind of music app makes it a chore to order the songs you like in the order you like. Amazingly bad.  

Just checked the most recent Spotify app Version 8.6.74.1541 (iOS 15.2).  I went through all the steps in my post of 2021-11-08, and it still works for me, but only with playlists that I created.

Hey folks,

Thanks for posting here.

@RFabs Could you restart you phone, log out and log back in again? Then you can give the steps @nehlslowe a go to see if anything changes.

If you've already tried this or some additional troubleshooting steps, let us know. That way we'll able to avoid any repeating steps.

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Not trying to put too fine a point on it, but Spotify’s focus on licensing over UX is tearing its platform apart. Fix this, now. You ignored my incorrect track reports - multiple times for the same track. I gave up and bought the track from Amazon. You ignored my account issues. I gave up and went to Apple Music. As a 10 year subscriber, I entreat you: you have 12-18 months to beat Apple, at best. Thanks for all the music, but also fix your stuff. If you keep ignoring your users we’re going to jump ship. I used Apple Music for 4 years; their recommendations sucked, but at least their stuff worked. I don’t even care about AirPlay 2, but now I’m reading in the literal paper newspaper that you can’t support it. What’s going on with your management team?

not intuitive at all. Think of the drunk Spotify users

Can do all this but in step 7, the song doesn’t stay in the new location. Just pops back to the original location. Tried a million times, on iphone and on iPad. Super irritating.

Hey @Ex-dubber,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and welcome.

As a new update was released recently, we'd first recommend checking if the app has any pending updates. If not, we'd suggest  performing a clean reinstall of the app. This is often an overlooked step, but it’s more thorough than a regular one and can be helpful to get rid of any cache that might be causing trouble. 

In case that the issue persists, make sure you're not in Offline mode and that you’re hitting Save on the top right corner when finishing the changes. 

However, if the issue is still persistent after the troubleshooting, could you record a short video where we can take a better look? You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. You can also upload it to Google Drive and share the link with us (make sure the video has the permissions for anyone to see it)

We'll be waiting for your response.

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts