Premium

Country

USA 

Device

iPhone 6

Operating System

iOS 12

My Question or Issue

I’ve had this app for maybe 2 years now and I have never been able to rearrange my songs in a playlist. When I look up a solution it says to click the three dots on the top right, hit edit, then drag with the three dots next to the song. I do not see it next to any songs on my playlist. I really want to move my songs.

E427B54F-0E84-4F2C-B7C6-AC79933CF510.png
40 Replies

Is the ability to change the order of songs in a playlist that I created a feature available only to premium subscribers?  I'm guessing maybe that's why I can't change the order of songs.

Hey @jsuppal,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and welcome.

Since the feature to listen to songs in order and to pick the song you want it's a Premium feature, changing the songs order within the playlist it's available only on a Premium subscription in the Mobile app

However, this only applies to the Mobile app. You can change the order of the songs in any playlists that you create using the Desktop app or the Web Player (from a PC) by dragging the song to the position you want.

Hope this helps. If anything else comes up, the Community will be here for you. 

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

In Windows, click, hold and drag the song you want to move.

Totally amazing! Thanks!

The fact that this needs to asked should tell you something Spotify.  Where TF are the UX designers with the most basic of all basic basics.  

It should be easy as any easy app that has lists.

1. Select and hold title of song 
  2. Hold and drag song to preferred location in list

What is wrong with you guys?  It's actually a serious question.  Can you answer that?

Hi there @atam,

Thanks for your post.

It is possible to hold and drag songs to their desired location inside a playlist, both on Desktop and Mobile. If you're having trouble with this, please let us know what device you're using and if you're on the free or Premium plan.

Note: rearranging songs on Mobile is only a Premium feature, since all playback is shuffled on Mobile on the free tier.

Looking forward to your reply.

AlexModerator

Ily for this

I have the same issue - can “grab” a track but it won’t stay in place. Please don’t brush this off as “reinstall the app” - something looks to have broken this functionality and I don’t think it’s on the paying end user to “fix” it..!

Hi there @Wiredfire,

Thanks for the post.

Can you let us know on which platform you're having trouble re-arranging your songs? We'll do our best to help.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

iOS, iPhone SE2 on iOS 16 also iPad 2019 on iPadOS 16 both have the same experience. Spotify uninstalled and reinstalled, no change. Devices rebooted, no change. Playlist order set explicitly to “custom” but no dice. 

Hi @Wiredfire,

Thanks for the reply.

On Mobile, you can arrange the tracks in your playlist like so:

1. Open the playlist.
  2. Click the 3-dot menu.
  3. Select "Edit".
  4. You'll see a 3-line icon appear on the right side of your tracks. Click that and drag the songs to their desired places.

Note: This feature is only available on Premium.

More info can be found in this support article 🙂

Hope this helps.

AlexModerator

Sigh 

yes that’s what I have been doing , as I mentioned in my comment. I am a premium user, as mentioned in my comment.

I’m sorry for coming off as brash, but why reply telling me what I’ve already said I’ve done and sweep an issue reported by multiple users on multiple devices away?

having no reply would have been better. 

this is a genuine issue.  acknowledge it and raise it with the relevant team. Stop trying to tell users they are wrong. It’s insulting and it is infuriating. 

I am on custom order but they’re not showing up. Do I need Spotify premium to do this? Also does this work the same with podcast episodes?

Hi there @Coco-PopsCharlie,

If you're on Free you won't be able to edit the custom order of your playlist via the mobile app, but you can use the desktop app / Web Player instead! The same goes for podcast episodes that you've added to your personal playlists.

@Wiredfire, are you still experiencing this issue? If so, please share a short screen recording so we can get a clear view of what's happening on your end.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I normally play my music in LG TV but since adding new songs there is almost impossible, i use my PC to arrange those playlists to my liking. And this time i had to use my android phone to place the newly added songs where i'd like to see them but i just couldn't figure how. Looks like that drop-down bar thing next to the song is missing on my android and this is why i can't drag and drop them in their appropriate positions. So my suggestion is make it an option to change songs' positions in android phones.

there are no 3 dots next to the song only a. remove button this doesn’t work on the latest version and i have premium i think this is for desktop only 

Yea it doesn't work if you don't have premium its pretty dumb that they
don't let you do that

Plan

Free

Country

Uk

Device

iPad 9

Operating System

ipadOS 17.1.2

Hello,

I am unable to edit the order of my playlists. I hold the track I want to move and I can move it around, but the screen then scrolls erratically and when I let go of the track it just goes back to its original position.

I initially tried logging out and back in but this only made the issue worse as then the shuffle button within my playlists disappeared. So then I did a complete uninstall and reinstall, and whilst my shuffle button has reappeared, I am still unable to change the order of the playlist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Go to playlist.

2. Select the three dots below playlist name.

3. Choose ”Edit”.

4. Now you are able to move tracks up/down with press and hold on hamburger menu to the right on respective track. 

mine doesnt say edit

Suggested posts