Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Recommend how to discover music?

Solved!

Recommend how to discover music?

Hi there,

Just got Spotify premium for ipad- it's great! Got a Q about browsing and finding new music: how do you guys do it?

I understand that you can:

- search for a specific artist or song

- and you can find nice user-created playlists

But I want to:

- discover new music related to my tastes

- browse a genre of music instead of having to search for specific artists

Is there a way to do any of these things?

Thanks for your time, fellas!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Do you only use the iPad, or do you use it on the computer too?

On the computer, there are a number of apps you can install in the Spotify program that are good for music discovery/recommendations.  There is also a radio option.

On the iPad, the in-app music discovery options are pretty limited.  There is the related artists feature, other people's playlists, and that's about it.  There are quite a few external websites that can interact with Spotify and give recommendations.  I have always liked Spotibot for generating playlists based on your last.fm account or whatever artist you type in.  There used to be links to a bunch of different sites on Spotify's site, but I can't find them right now.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

There an ipod for Ipod called Spotilicious and playes music based on which Genre you pick It has alot more than I ever knew of existed. It's on Ipod. App store. Hope that helps. 

Marked as solution

Check out SpotOn in the App Store.

7 Replies
Marked as solution

Do you only use the iPad, or do you use it on the computer too?

On the computer, there are a number of apps you can install in the Spotify program that are good for music discovery/recommendations.  There is also a radio option.

On the iPad, the in-app music discovery options are pretty limited.  There is the related artists feature, other people's playlists, and that's about it.  There are quite a few external websites that can interact with Spotify and give recommendations.  I have always liked Spotibot for generating playlists based on your last.fm account or whatever artist you type in.  There used to be links to a bunch of different sites on Spotify's site, but I can't find them right now.

Marked as solution

There an ipod for Ipod called Spotilicious and playes music based on which Genre you pick It has alot more than I ever knew of existed. It's on Ipod. App store. Hope that helps. 

Marked as solution

@Jimtowner wrote:

Definitely.  I forgot about this one.  Very good app.

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate the help! I suppose we'll have to wait for those features to appear in the official app- but in the meantime, SpotOn!

Cheers.

I discover music in Spotify by listening totally random albums or singles.

For example I search with keyword "summer" and press play in Search view. And then I listen. You can also try more exclusive words like drink, cat etc.

The apps integrated into Spotify tend offer a lot of music suggestions - Pitchfork, We Are Hunted, so on.
Airhorn Enthusiast

Suggested posts