Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ringtone for iphone takes place of song

Ringtone for iphone takes place of song

(First off please move this topic to appropriate thread as couldn't post in issues.)

I want to listen to 'Enter Sandman' by Metallica however can only listen to a 21 second segment of the song, the chorus. This is the same segment I have recently saved as a ringtone on iTunes so can use as a ringtone for my iPhone. The whole album of Metallica is on spotfiy and works properly (apart from enter sandman) so of course Metallica is not the problem. The problem is spotify is choosing to play my rightone over the song on spotifys database that we normally stream, if thats how spotify works. 

How can I get spotify to play the proper, full 5:32 version? If this is a problem specific to my computer settings what do I need to change? Or is this  a general problem with spotify? 

Maybe it is significant to note that the ringtones are saved with the same properties as the original songs (eg. artist, track name etc.) The main distinction being the difference in length of song in document, as well as instead of being saved as mp3 they are .m4r. This is the type of file a iPhone ringtone needs to be. 

Cheers for your help.

15 Replies

I have about 20 ringtones saved on my PC. AC/DC do not have any songs on Spotify however I have a lot of them saved on my local files. I have a 29 second rightone for 'Rock or Bust' off the new album Rock or Bust. Unlike the other songs displayed in my local files of that album this song is greyed out, not the full length - of course only 29 seconds. The other songs all work fine, are white and so hyperlink to a page for the album, artist etc. depending on what I click on.

This is a different scenario to the Metallica ones because I have the full AC/DC album saved on my PC whereas I did not for the Metallica ones.

I have also changed my prefences so spotify does not include local files from windows. This has not solved the problem, despite the ringtones being saved as normal files in windows. To be sure of correct terminology by windowns I mean the normal place documents are saved on Microsoft Vista. This was unlikely to help however as the ringtone files do not appear in my spotify local files anyway.

Same here on OS X, latest spotify version.
I have "I mean it" by G-Eazy locally as a ringtone with all the tags (artist, album, ...) set and spotify won't play the full song, just the ringtone

I had this same problem and it was solved by going to Spotify > Preferences > Local Files and unchecking iTunes, Downloads and My Music. Not sure which one of those did the trick (probably iTunes) but it worked, Spotify now plays the full song instead of just the ringtone. 

This is the worst feature ever. Who would want this? And from time to time it resets and it happens again. Then I need to google for the answer again. 

Thanks!

Ok, I'm not able to find the solution on iPhone or even MacOS App. Can you guys please verify where is this setting? I want to hear the full versions of the songs and keeps on chosing the shorter ringtone version. I repeat: why would anyone want that?

Hey guys!

It sounds like Local Files are turned on on your devices. You can turn that off by heading into: 'Spotify > Preferences > Local Files'. Just turn off all sources. Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 11.15.29.png

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Have a nice weekend! 🙂

HuboSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi, I've tried it and there is nothing there enabled. Tried on both machines that I have (Windows and Mac). Is there a way to check those settings on my iOS app?

Thanks!

I am still having this problem. I have unchecked all the boxes on the prefernce page too.

I tried changing the name of my 'Enter Sandman' .m4r file to 'Enter Sandmann'. After restarting Spotify I now cannot play this song at all. I get an error message saying 'This song is not avaliable. If you have this song on your computer you can import it.'

I do not have another file for the song, ie. a mp3 version of the full song, (or any other non-music file with the name 'Enter Sandman' or 'Enter Sandmann') saved anywhere on my computer.

Interestingly I can listen to the full version of the song when using Spotify on my phone app. Although, when I try to play the full song on my computer through my phone I cannot play it. I get the same error appear on my computer screen.

Hey @tomwolf!

Alright, could you play the song by clicking this link? The old file is probably still in some of your playlists or in your library (you can replace it with the above link). Let me know how it goes! 🙂

Have a nice day!

HuboSpotify Star

Hey, thanks for your reply.

I can play the song on the web player by clicking that link. 

Unfortunately I still cannot play it on my desktop app. (Apologies if I seem petulent about this issue but I have quite a lot of my favourite songs saved as ringtones. I am using the 'Enter Sandman' song as one example.)

I have deleted the file for the ringtone (and actual full length song) off my computer and have made sure the song is not included in any of my playlists. I have also tried restarting spotify since making these changes. 

And I still have the same problem. My question remains: how to disable that option on the iOS app? I want to hear only (!!) the Spotify music, no local files whatsoever. How can I disable that?

Thanks!

Hey @tomwolf!

Alright, that shouldn't happen. You still get a message from Spotify telling that the song is unavailable. If so, are you searching this song with search on Spotify? Let me know.

Have a nice weekend! 🙂

HuboSpotify Star

Hey @rrrooooddd!

That's not cool. I've explained this in a post a few posts back. Take a look there for more information! 🙂

Have a nice weekend!

HuboSpotify Star

@Huib you didn't actually explain at all how to remove those files from iPhone once they somehow magically take over the full songs on Desktop Spotify.

i still have no idea how to disable it on my phone. i even deleted and reinstalled the app. 

Suggested posts