Premium

Device

iPhone XS

Operating System

iOS 12

My Question or Issue

Steps to reproduce:

1. Navigate to any Artist's page

2. With a single flick of your finger, scroll downwards with enough momentum that the list continues to scroll automatically.

3. While the list is scrolling, tap on a song in the "Popular" subsection

Current behavior:

The list stops scrolling immediately. The song that I tapped starts playing.

Expected behavior: 

The list stops scrolling immediately. Nothing is selected and song does not play.

Rationale:

Compare the touch interaction on this page with that of any other list view in the app. On the Songs tab for example, when I tap the list while scrolling, the scrolling stops immediately and no song is selected. This is the standard interaction pattern across all iOS list views.

This inconsistency is unintuitive and often causes me to accidentally select a song while browsing the Artist page.

3 Replies

Hi there!

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps. I'd recommend to update to iOS 12.0.1 and I tested in my end and the behaviour is as expected, the scrolling just stops 🙂

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

iOS Version 12.1

Spotify version 8.4.79.933

Bug is still present after restarting the device. Bug also affects ALL list items on the Artist page, including the "Artist Playlists" and "Appears On" sections.

I’ve been having the same problem for a couple of months. The popular list responds to scrolling in an unintuitive way. In addition, when I scroll ovet a small enough distance the song I’m on starts playing even though I didn’t tap it. While it’s a small issue it’s quite obstructive as it unexpectedly causes another song to play.

My iOS and Spotify version are the same (iOS 12.1 and Spotify 8.4.79.933)

Suggested posts