Premium

Country

Australia

Device

iPhone 11 Pro

Operating System

iOS 14.3

My Question or Issue

If you’re playing a song in a group session and then scrub/slip forward in a track (e.g. by 1 minute), the song starts from playing from the correct pace (1 minute ahead), but the timebar in the Now Playing window sometimes goes backwards (e.g. 30 seconds back, instead of 1 minute forward).

Please don’t ask me to reinstall the app or update to the latest version. Already done.

11 Replies

Novy

Hi there @LarterStyles

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community. We'll do our best to help you sort this out.

Would you mind sending a screenshot or a screen recording where we can see this specific behavior?

Also, let us know if this happens when you start a Group Session, or if it's only when you join one. We'll take a better look.

Keep us posted!

NovyModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

LarterStyles
Roadie

See recording of issue here: https://share.icloud.com/photos/0DBUCVG5RZeNckNHfig5SitqQ

I joined this particular group session.

CarlosE

Hey there @LarterStyles,

Thanks for getting back in touch and sending the video.

Could you let us know if this also happens when using a different connection, such as a WiFi network?

Also, try from a different device and let us know if the same happens there.

We'd also like to know if all the other members of the group session are experiencing this issue.

Keep us in the loop.

CarlosEModerator

LarterStyles
Roadie

Hi,

When I experienced this issue in the recording, my phone was on 4G, but the iPad I was connected to was on a wifi connection.

I’ve been seeing this same issue since group sessions were first released in beta, and I’ve seen it on more than one of my own devices.

CarlosE

Hi @LarterStyles,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

We want to confirm, does this happen to all the other users within the group session? This would help us determine if this is account-related.

We'd also like to know if this has an impact on the music playback itself, or just in the progress bar.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

LarterStyles
Roadie

This just happened again, but I probably can’t confirm one way or the other as there’s only two people in the group session. Notice in the images below (that were taken about 3 seconds apart), that the times on the progress bar are very out of sync:

The ‘host’ device, showing correct progress bar:
29FDA0C6-805A-4604-8AF4-F5368DB7AAA3.jpeg

My ‘guest’ device, showing incorrect progress bar:

7D6E8C46-9909-4E67-8C91-D7823488CA78.png

Note: in all instances I’ve joined my iPhone to someone’s else’s iPad, and my iPhone always seems to the one that’s lagging behind.

And no: if you scrub backwards or forwards, the music still plays from the correct spot, it’s just the progress bar that’s FUBAR.

Novy

Hey @LarterStyles

Thanks for keeping us in the loop and sending this info. 

Would you mind starting a Group session from your iPhone and let us know if you notice the same behavior?

NovyModerator

"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

LarterStyles
Roadie
The iPad in this instance is bolted to the wall at my office (and locked so that you can’t send text messages from it etc.), so I can’t actually test joining a group session from that device, sorry 😞

Jeremy

Hey @LarterStyles,

Thank you for your reply and for the confirmation.

We suggest that you perform a clean reinstall of the app. This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If that doesn't do the trick, can you log in with another account - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persist?

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

LarterStyles
Roadie

Hi Jeremy.

I tried a clean reinstall before logging the issue initially, to no avail unfortunately. I’ve also managed to repro this issue on multiple devices (admittedly all mine).

With all due respect, I’ve added a ton of info to this thread (screen recordings, photos, etc.), which is hopefully enough to demonstrate that is a real/persistent issue, so at this point I’m hoping Spotify will now step in and try diagnose, reproduce, and remediate the issue on our behalf 🙂

CarlosE

Hey there @LarterStyles,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

We appreciate the time you've taken to troubleshoot this with us and all the info you've shared.

The Group session feature is still being tested. We can't commit to a timeline for when this will be fixed, but rest assured, we'll pass your feedback on to the right folks to be looked into.

If you have any questions or need anything else, give us a shout.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

SUGGESTED POSTS