Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sharing with friends who don't have Facebook accounts

Solved!

Sharing with friends who don't have Facebook accounts

I have sent a request twice now to an inability to send music to a friend that has spotify but doesn't want a Facebook account. I am following him on my app but it shows now songs or artists on his profile page. It's empty and has no info. I have to text him songs. This is half of the reason we pay for your app. We want the social aspect of the app to work. We are willing to switch to rdio or another company that is willing to listen to there customers. I also hate that I have to search for the non edited album versions. The app has no setting to not default to non edited lyrics. Please change both.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

HERE IS THE SOLUTION!!!!

1. The user that does not have a facebook account, must follow you. (You can't just follow them.)
  2. Uninstall and then reinstall spotify.

I'm not sure if you have to uniinstall and reinstall everytime you get a new follower, but it worked for my one friend that doen't use facebook.

View solution in original post

19 Replies

Sorry to hear that you aren't able to share the way you want. When you press on the song you want to share, you press the share button and there are several different ways to share other than just facebook.  If they have spotify you can find them via their spotify name or, twitter, email, sms, or even copy the track link..is there another way you want to share?

Spotify is considering updates and making changes to their social networks with each new release, and I only know they are going to get better! Hope that is some kind of help!

Yes, i have a similar problem.  I have been a premium member for some time, with one of the major appeals being the ability to share music.  Yes, i can share a song or a playlist with spotify friends from my desktop (those that dont have a facebook account), but i cannot send those same Spotify friends a song or playlist from my mobile device.  I'm not always sitting on a dektop (hence the premium pack) and would like to be able to share when on the go.  

I also have a another related issue on my ipad, where i try to share a song or playlist with a spotify friend (without facebook) and  it doesnt work.  So i try to send them an email link, however, it sends the link via my wife's email account, not mine.  It is my email that forms part of my spotify account, not my wifes.  I acknowledge that we both send our email from the same ipad, mine via the Gmail app, and hers via the in built iPad mail app.  Does spotify send email automatically by default to the iPad mail account, not the spotify account holder email account?.  Is this something i can rectify?.

Despite these issues, i still love Spotify.

Spotify does send from the account which is part of the default mail application on iPad, unfortunately I can't think of a way to get it to gmail unless you:
- Copy the link from the iPad app into gmail manually.
- Since you can specify the outgoing account (if you have multiple accounts set up in default mail), add your email as an outgoing account in the default mail app.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I have read your suggested solution to sharing tracks with spotify friends who do not use Facebook however when you select Spotify People the list is unpopulated and the search returns no results. I have been with Spotify since day 1 and do not expect special treatment however I do feel as a premium member I should be provided with an accurate explanation as to why this feature does not work on either the iPad or the iPhone.

Please escalate this query to the CEO office at Spotify and kindly request that an answer be provided. Simply put I am paying for a service and I am not receiving the service I am paying for.

Thanks

Rick

LOL. You can use the contact form to get in touch with Spotify direct. This may work better than asking another user, who doesn't work for the company, to do this on your behalf.

If you get an automated response directing you back to the community or to the help pages, make sure to reply to it directly to speed things along.

Thanks

Even this....I cannot share, as the way you describe, a song with the name of a spotify user (without facebook)...nothing appears and the button "send" doesn't work too. Bug? Please solve this issue. Thanks

PS: I have no facebook account too and I WON'T have one.

I have a Facebook account and am a Premium user and I am trying to share with a friend who does not have a Facebook account but is also a Premium Spotify member. I have tried typing in her Spotify username as well as the email address associated with her Spotify account. I tried this approach both when selecting the share option on an individual song, as well as in the "filter by name" search tool under Main > Follow > "Find Friends". In both situations this seems limited to strictly returning results of my facebook contacts. You said in this response that you can share to someone using their spotify username, but this doesn't seem to be the case. How do I find and share with a Spotify member who is not on Facebook? I looked on her account and she can't even share with anyone. All searches for her don't return any results, even when she searches me by my username as well as my email address associated with both my spotify and my facebook. It seems strange, and it seems to me like she shouldn't be punished for not having facebook. It's genuinely just strange to me. Hope this changes soon.

So, again, I ask, just in case I am missing something: Is there a way to find and share with a Spotify member who is not on Facebook without leaving the Spotify application that we are both paying for.

They've just added whatsapp sharing support.. Which is an alternative to copy track link, email, and SMS.
Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

Same problem here. 

I recently deleted my facebook. I have had a premium account with Spotify way before I linked it with facebook. Now I cannot send my friends anything from the app or on the desktop. This is the best part of Spotify, the social aspect. Please fix this! I tried the spotify:user:<username> , This works to find friends and follow or unfollow them, however, inserting this into the "enter friends" column when I select "share" returns a "sorry no results can be found." I can't send anything, unless I send the link to my email and email my friends now. The results cannot be found  is clearly not the case when I can search and find them that way, but cannot send them anything.

Please allow us the CHOICE to find friends/use Spotify's social setting and not force us into having a Facebook account. When I first started using Sportify, all I had to do was search someone's name and I could send them things. No Facebook.

Thank you,

Thanks for your comments. I am just a user too with a similar concern.. I
cant fix this. This is a blog to discuss things, not a place to suggest
fixes. Sorry.

To clarify, there is no way to share with spotify users, through spotify, unless your linked through facebook.

You have to copy urls, and them email them links?... That's lame!

So, just to clarify the problem we all have... When you click "send to" it does not specify "send to facebook friends".

After that, where it says "enter a friend's name", it would seem obvious and intuitive to be able to type the name of a follower or a person you are following.

Marked as solution

HERE IS THE SOLUTION!!!!

1. The user that does not have a facebook account, must follow you. (You can't just follow them.)
  2. Uninstall and then reinstall spotify.

I'm not sure if you have to uniinstall and reinstall everytime you get a new follower, but it worked for my one friend that doen't use facebook.

.... It took me about 8 emails back and forth with spotify customer service, but finally resolved the issue.

Brian, does this solution work for a user who does not have fb and is trying to send to another fb user?

Also, do both parties have to uninstall and reinstall first?

Finally, is this on mobile, or on desktop?

Thanks

nomadj1s, you don't have to uninstall, just shut them down. This is what worked for me. (I'm not a Premium member either)

Find and follow the (non-Facebook) friend I wish to share with. 

Get my friend to find and follow me. 

We both close our Spotify apps (in this case was Spotify on the Mac)

Open my Spotify app again, I can now share with my friend by using Share, Send To... , and starting to type her username.

What if we both have Facebook accounts but we're work colleagues and don't want to be friends on Facebook?

OK? Care to share??? LOL

Suggested posts