Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Shuffle all music on mobile device not working

Shuffle all music on mobile device not working

Hi everyone!

I have over 3k songs in my entire library, and I was able to listen to all of it in my car (2015 Honda Civic) until just yesterday, when I saw that it was only playing the first 200 songs from my library. Even when I shuffled it, change the filter from "title" to "recently added" and back, it's still shuffling the first 200 songs or so. I checked to see if that was the case for Spotify on my laptop and that shuffle appears to be just fine. Only on my iphone X did this happen. 

Does anyone know a solution? I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app, turned the phone on and off, and still doesn't shuffle my entire library.

Please let me know if anyone knows anything to do!

Thanks!

10 Replies

I have the same problem too. My shuffle was working perfectly fine up until a couple days ago. I've done everything I could possibly do: restart my phone, log off and then log back in, undownload and redownloading songs, and even deleting the app and then downloading it again, but nothing worked.
If I go onto my mac and play from there, the shuffle works perfectly fine. But if I go back and listen on my phone the same problem persists. 

The only thing that I could think off was to put all my songs into a playlist and listen from there. But I'm disappointed that I have to even do this in the first place. 

Not sure if there's a solution... my friends have their own Spotify subscriptions but their's work fine. Not sure why mine suddenly started acting up.

Same problem for me. It’s annoying. Please give us a solution. 

Playlist idea doesn’t work anyways, as it does the same thing, only plays 200 or so. 

Recent code change to the iOS app, and it was intentional, so they aren’t going to fix this. Just switch to Apple Music or google play.

What do you mean by recent code change? Honestly, I might move to Apple Music because it’s pretty annoying that I can’t listen to all my music. 

Has anyone figured out a solution yet? This is very frustrating. Also, there’s absolutely no way that this was intentional. This is clearly a bug of some sort, proven by the fact that shuffle will still work fine on other devices.

I mean recent updates to the Spotify mobile applications on iOS and Android, this is also a problem for smart devices like Alexa or TV's, Receivers etc. 

To the guy who doubts this is intentional. They have been limiting shuffle on Carplay and Android Auto etc to 200 songs for the last year or more. You could actually visually see it up until a few days ago, as those interfaces would show the Song count. For example Now Playing Song 23 of 26,923 if you shuffled through the app itself, but Now Playing Song 23 of 200 if you shuffled through the vehicles interface. Now just like those vehicle interfaces, you only get 23 of 200 on *any* mobile interface. 

Spotify will not fix it, because it's not "broken", it's intentional. It's by design.

You didn't really answer the question - all you said was "it is intentional" and "it is by design" which mean the same thing. I have noticed the behavior you described, but that doesn't mean it is intentional.

What do you propose would be the benefit (to Spotify, increased safety, etc.) to limit shuffle behavior this way, especially since that's the normal behavior for non-paid listeners (who also get to hear ads)?

FWIW, I'm a paid subscriber.

Having the same problem on my IPhone 8 Plus and 5th generation iPod Touch. Starting to **bleep** me off!

Hey Bud, so I just confirmed through Spotify developer support directly, that this change was intentional for all mobile/third-party interfaces. 

They say they did it to reduce the amount of load that shuffling large playlists/song lists causes on the devices directly, and on their servers. 

Also I don't like the attitude I got from your reply, and I don't care at all how this affects paid/non-paid customers or you specifically. 

Don't like it? Switch to to Apple or Google.

Cuz,

I had no ill feelings toward you; perhaps you should learn to not be so sensitive. If you reread my post, I was merely inquiring as to the logic you used to arrive at your conclusion. I only added the bit about being a paid customer to shortcut any discussion of what one gets for free.

<Sincerely> I appreciate you passing on what you learned from the support group. It'd be nice to know how you reached them. Though my search was not exhaustive, I didn't see any obvious links to request support.

<Sarcastically> I also appreciate your advice on alternatives to Spotify. I guess I never expected those two companies to provide such a service. Perhaps you should start a blog. Would you like me to give you kudos? (THAT was Attitude.)

Signed,

Bud

Suggested posts