Step 1

NEXT STEP

Shuffle play all downloaded songs

Shuffle play all downloaded songs

Plan: Premium

Device: iPhone 8

Operating System: iOS 12.3.2

My Question or Issue: 

Prior to the latest update, I could play or shuffle-play all downloaded songs. The new Liked Songs category does not have a filter for dowloaded songs only. Is this featured buried? Your interest in pushing podcasts is interfering with the usability of the app. 

13 Replies

So come on, Spotify. Let's have an answer. I just switched from Deezer (because there were some albums I couldn't get). In Deezer, it's one click for downloads, and another click to shuffle all tracks in all downloaded albums. Thats what I want. (It's like your personal radio station.) I'm about to switch back. This is a deal-breaker for me. The workarounds offerred are ridiculously tedious. If theres a Spotify tech reading this, please say if and when this will be implemented.

After years with Spotify, I've now cancelled my subscription. They confirmed to me this is no longer an option. 

I don't know what was more annoying, the fact that they removed probably the most basic function that a music app should have, or if it was that they treated the request to put it back as being feedback, or a new idea.

The process they advise to simply 'shuffle all' is absolutely mind boggling. I'd suspect a large number of users do so via a mobile device. We simply want to open the app and hit shuffle and be done. LIKE WE USED TO. Why is there a need to add every single song or album into a playlist and then shuffle that? And they still won't answer why they removed it in the first place.

And then they come back at you with some scripted answer about the updates are designed to make the user experience better. 

Spotify, let me be clear. Removing the ability to shuffle all downloaded music, and then hiding behind 'it makes a good user experience' is downright insulting.

It's like removing a wheel from my car, and saying that it improves my experience. 

Completely agree. This extremely basic function is gone and a nightmare when traveling. I don’t want to listen to only albums or even playlists. Sometimes I want to shuffle all my Downloads. In fact this is one of my most common behaviors and now it’s gone. A smart playlist feature that handled this would also be welcome.

So is it still not there? Was thinking of going back to Spotify as Google Music doesnt work with Alexa-enabled Sonos speakers. 

Hello!

Unfortunately not 😔

They seem too focused on podcasts at this particular time.

Hey there folks, 

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

Spotify constantly strives to improve the user experience with its features and the easiest way to achieve this is by regular app updates. This might also include new features or getting back the old ones. 

We appreciate you taking the time to share your suggestion with the Community. If you think other users might also like it, go ahead and create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work.

We also suggest checking this help article for useful tips on how to submit an idea. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented 🙂 

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Jesus!

Canned responses are so so poor.

This isn't a new idea. Not a new suggestion. It is a request to put the shuffle all feature back.

Incredibly simple

Fully agree.

It is just to give a backward to the shuffle function to all downloaded songs. 

In august, I finally decided to replace my classic ipod with a spotify subscription, as i figured all the music that i want to listen to is on Spotify, and I can keep better track of new releases. Now, into the second week of the first month of my paid subscription, I find myself on a road trip, and have been trying to figure out for five days how to shuffle all the albums that i downloaded to my phone pre-departure. It never ocurred to me to make sure such is possible, cos it seems such a basic function of a music service - and a paid one no less! And to add insult to injury, the function apparently used to exist, but got removed? Seriously, wth?! Seems like I'm doomed to spend my road trip listening to music like we did in the 80s - only whole albums, back to back. And the first thing I'll do when back home, is cancel my spotify subscription....

It brings to mind though, according to recent financial advise relating to the stock market, spotify is aiming to increase their profits by focusing more on podcasts where the margins are higher, than on music where most of the money flows to the record labels. So this is how they want to become bigger and better?! What a way to alienate your user-base...

Hey @user-removed, 

Thanks for your message. 

We totally understand where you're coming from. While at the moment there's not an option to play all downloaded songs, other users also think it would be a good idea.

In this case, we'd suggest adding your +VOTE and subscribing to this idea. That way you can stay up-to-date with any relevant news about this.

As a workaround, you can add these albums to a playlist and download it so that you don't have to play them one by one.

Hope this helps. If anything else comes up, the Community will be here. 

Cheers.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Good evening Novy,

First and foremost, thanks for taking the time to write a reaction and suggest a work around. However, as I'm on the road with just my phone (using the android app) and a linux computer (not supported by spotify), the workaround is extremely tedious. Every album has to be added separately (there's no option to add multiple albums at once, and there is no smart playlist where I can say "just add all the downloaded albums"), which means 5 actions per album: select the album, open the menu, select add to playlist, select the playlist, and go back to the album list. Also, there's no indication if an album is already added to the playlist or not. So by now, I've added I think 30 albums with i don't know how many still to go, and I lost track of which still to add and which not.

As for liking the idea, I'm sorry to be cheeky about it but that's just a way to keep people thinking that you are actually considering it, isn't it? People have been requesting the return of this very basic functionality for years now, and it's just not happening. I would be a fool to think that my like suddenly will make the difference. It's obvious that Spotify removed the option in the first place for a reason, and I hereby argue that that mysterious reason is also why the option still hasn't returned to the app, despite persistent malcontent over it's disappearance. A like or idea more or less is obviously not going to change that.

So for now I'll just ride it out, until the roadtrip finishes. After that, I'll explore alternatives to Spotify that do have the basics, and that are more geared towards how I like to experience music. Cos after all, what's the point of paying for a service that doesn't serve me?

Suggested posts