Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Shuffle play is not random

Solved!

Shuffle play is not random

Shuffle play was bad before the update and now its worse. On my 442 song playlist, the same 30 or 35 tracks play over and over again and the other 400 songs I have barely heard once. I have had to delete songs because shuffle play was choosing them everytime I would listen. Spotify developers say shuffle play is random but how is repeating the same 35 songs over and over random. For some reason there is a higher probability of certain songs playing than others. This is a major flaw in the system. The shuffle play programs needs to be totally overhauled, it is awful

523 Replies

I have a 2000 song playlist that I especially like. Recently it has stopped randomnizing on my Mac and was playing the same 50 or songs over and over. Frustration! But I think I have found the answer, at least for now. We'll see how long it lasts.

Here it is: Reinstall Spotify. Look up the procedure under "help" for your pc or device. Currently the url is  https://support.spotify.com/us/learn-more/faq/#!/article/reinstallation-of-spotify/?in=search

Basically, the instructions tell you how to delete all traces of Spotify on your device and then tells you to download and reinstall Spotify.

I use the spotify app, but if I were using a browser, I would try deleting caches. Maybe that is al lthat is really necessary on PC app. Next time (if there is one) I'll try that.

Hope this helps.

By the way, you will not lose your playlists by deleting Spotify. When you log in with the reinstalled app, your playlists will still be there but not your preferences.

Shuffle play is still bad. Can we finally get this fixed?

Shuffle should be random. It's not random at all. Some songs play multiple times, some never play.
I noticed that rebooting the device or doing something similar "resets" the shufffling method and then different songs start to play often and the other ones rarely come up.

It seems not as Spotify don't seem to be remotely bothered.

Ofcourse, they're more interested in adding new features and getting more new people to use their service instead of fixing the current problems.

Spotify on Mac has still this problem and playing same songs over and over.

Can we have this fixed?

This problem has been going on so long, i'm thinking spotify doesn't want to fix it. I don't know why though. I don't think its that difficult to fix

Randomness is just too hard to code I guess 😛

Maybe it has to do with how they calculate how to play songs where they have to pay the least?

yeah like other people have said it could have something to do with how much they have to pay to play certain songs. it could be about money but im not sure

That would explain why they won't fix or even say "Can't fix it" in the forums... [if they have to pay per certain track]

I'm also having the same problem, please fix it! It's really irritating... Can't stand it, some songs are seriously never played. Shuffle is worthless.

Dear Spotify,

I quote http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/shuffle

Verb

shuffle

1. To put in a random order.

With some emphasis on the word "random", it seems it doesn't means what you think it means.

Pretty please with sugar on top, make shuffle play actually play the songs in a random order.

It's a reasonable expectation.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I always listen to my music on shuffle and it is incredibly irritating to constantly hear the same 5-10 bands over and over and over again. I have over 3300 songs saved and I miss out on at least 80% of my music because the random/shuffle feature is terrible. It wasn't bad before, but something happened a while ago and now it is just awful. Please re-define your algorithms to get a more random sampling of individual songs. Please!

yeah shuffle play is still not working properly

Spotify still absolutely blows at shuffling. Song 1 played, then song 2, then song 1 again! What is this I don’t even…

I just used shuffle play today and it played the exact same 2 songs in the same order that they played in yesterday when I used shuffle play. That can't be right

It has been this way since the beginning. I've been with Spotify for years now but I'm thinking about switching because of this and the lack of an Xbox app

I listened to to my 155 song playlist today for a total of about an hour and I heard the same song 3 times

The problem is shuffle play justs queues up the same 20 or 30 songs everytime from a playlist of over 150 songs. 

Suggested posts