Shuffle play is not random

Solved!

Re: Shuffle play is not random

nucka574
Casual Listener

Shuffle over the last month or so has been playing the same songs for me as well, literally played the same song twice in a row for me and I started noticing it much more.  It is not as bad on PC but I am about to dump the pay service if it keeps doing this.  Please fix this.  You should be able to make it so it does a complete loop through the playlist before repeating any tracks.

Zinganator
Casual Listener
My shuffle play does this too. And I have a playlist with 200 songs and I've noticed that whichever songs I listen to most often or listen to through, will get played more... Making it so that if I hear a song a lot.. The shuffle play continues to play it more and more. It's ridiculous, it needs to be a completely random list of my songs, no repeats and no filter by how much I listen... Many apps have figured out an easy shuffle play, why can't spotify ?

Zinganator
Casual Listener
In addition to that, I use a radio of my playlist to find new music I should put in my playlist.... The radio literally just plays what I already have in the playlist without suggesting new music to me... So spotify radio function is next to worthless for me, when I could just use pandora.

user-removed
Not applicable

Best way to ruin my favorite music, it's like I am listening to the FM radio. Except this the reason I don't listen to traditional radio- I hate repeats. That's why I have gone out of my way to add more than 1000 songs to my playlist, only to hear the same song (and 10 songs) within minutes of each other.

Seriously? Why doesn't Spotify stop adding bloated features that slowdown the load time, cause continual crashes on my Android- instead focus on a better user experience?

dondellinger
Casual Listener

If this isn't solved I might end my payed subscription too. But for now I don't have time to build new playlists. 

796 songs in the playlist I listen to most and the song at the top of the playlist plays every time I listen. If I listen an hour it is likely to play twice. It got so annoying I deleted the first track. Now the newest first track is becoming annoying.

In a multiverse where there are an infinate number of universes going in and out of existence, chances are there is a universe where spotify has a truly random shuffle function that coincidently behaves unrandom. Maybe we are in that universe. If this is the case, maybe there is a way to ensure if a track is played it will be removed from the shuffle until a specified number of tracks have been played. That would be cool.

Either way, if this is a common coincidence or there is something wrong with the randomness of the shuffle, it would be nice to see the track removed from the shuffle until a certain number of songs have played.  

ws1482
Roadie

i have been using shuffle on apple music and it does tend to play certain songs more than others, but nowhere near as bad as spotify

Colach
Music Fan
As I can remember, all the "platforms", including old mp3-players, that I have been using have had this issue.

But that doesn't mean that it cannot be changed.

As I have proposed earlier, I think the solution can be found in an algorithm which uses something that constantly changes (no need in logging, ticking of the listened tracks in a list). So the Clock was my suggestion, it could be used within the algorithm to generate new outcomes every time. For example: number of tracks in a list X(times) current second count X present track number = a number which would play a song in the list.

Simple and always random.

Can Spotify please consider the magnitude of the problem. People here have mentioned recurrence when playing tracks in lists containing around 1000tracks. I use mainly the "Your music - Songs" (old starred), in it I have 6000+ songs, so I'm constantly adding tracks. And believe me, I am rather tied of "Scar tissue". (And I'm not insinuating that the system is preferring some artists, as I earlier have stated, also "unknown" tracks are repeated.)

It would be nice to at least see Spotify comment on the matter. Why is this unresolvable, as it seems?

FD_

Same issue on my side. Playlists with hundreds of songs, yet Spotify keeps on playing the same 20~50. Really frustrating, 

okidian
Casual Listener

i'm also fed up with trying to feel suprised while listening to the same tracks with the same order. it's ironic that i'd get a better experience if i just play the list in its default order.

you should just acquire the winamp's shuffle code which was working quite well.

Highlighted

Colach
Music Fan
@Okidian is right, playing the list as default is the only way of shuffling Spotify.

We could refer to this as "The Spotify Default Play Shuffle Paradox"

---

Another thing: have you guys noticed that if you go from default playing to shuffle, you'll hear the same tracks... Guess it has to do with the phenomenon: shuffle algorithm plays lasts added tracks.

----

Would be nice if we backtrack the faulting algorithm behaviour. Any other strange issues you guys see?

SUGGESTED POSTS