Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Shuffle play is not random

Solved!

Shuffle play is not random

Shuffle play was bad before the update and now its worse. On my 442 song playlist, the same 30 or 35 tracks play over and over again and the other 400 songs I have barely heard once. I have had to delete songs because shuffle play was choosing them everytime I would listen. Spotify developers say shuffle play is random but how is repeating the same 35 songs over and over random. For some reason there is a higher probability of certain songs playing than others. This is a major flaw in the system. The shuffle play programs needs to be totally overhauled, it is awful

523 Replies

Spotify LOVES supertramp..  Loves.  Those are pretty much the go to songs for my app.  Once it starts playing one, that's all I get when I skip for the next half dozen songs.  Drives me mad.  Sometimes you're just not in the mood..

Same problem. Now it jumps out of playlists!

Mines semi-shuffle! Plays a whole bands songs in a row (ie. all my AC/DC in a row) then shuffles bands and goes through all their songs in a row haha

Over a year later and it still does the same thing. Playlist of 150 and it plays the same 30 songs every time I turn on the playlist.

I cancelled my premium account because of that. I'm paying google play music now... good job spotify.

I cancelled my premium account because of that. I'm paying google play music now... good job spotify.

I have the same issue we created a work play list with 100 songs and in 2 hours we herd the same song 3 times

surely its simple to just randomise the order and play all of them then do the same again and so on 

would not want to hear the same song until all songs are played.

Dear Santa, I know what i want for Xmas.

I have 170 or so songs downloaded into a playlist on my Android phone. Same songs play all the time.

Santa, what would be REALLY REALLY good is that on shuffle play, it will play songs randomly, but not repeat any that have been previously played until all 170 have been played. And if I stopped my session, it would remember the history on my play list, and resume randomly working through the remaining songs. Once all 170 songs had been played, it would start the whole process over again.

Likewise, if I choose to shuffle play an artist with a big back catalogue, I want shuffle play to randomly work its way through every single song for that artist until all have been played. And again, if I interrupt shuffle playing the artist but come back later, I want shuffle play to resume where I left off.

I've been a really good boy Santa. Could I have a brand new shuffle play algorithm for Xmas please? That is applied across all platforms, including, please Santa, my Android phone?

Attached is my current queue.
I can not listen to Orgy anymore now.
Ok sure I have a lot of songs by them in my folder, but the far majority of my folder is not by Orgy.
The majority of the queue is by Orgy though (even if I scroll down as far as I can go).... In fact... I just noticed that all of them -ALL OF THEM- are songs I added in the last two weeks or so.
This is on PC. On mobile I seem to get more songs that are older as well, but a lootttt of songs are still repeated again and again every time I shuffle play. Once I just pressed the shuffle play button 10 times and 4+ of those presses resulted in the same starting song.

[EDIT: I just realised this is apparently the iOS forum but whatever, found this through Google and my answer is still relevant to the topic even though I use Windows and Android]

Screenshot (7).png

Currently my play history and next tracks:

If you check my history (history.png) and then the next tracks from #18 (next track further.png).. It's exactly the same songs in the same order..

How is that a shuffle?

history.PNG
next tracks.PNG
next tracks further.PNG

My problem is that certain artists/albums never play while others play constantly. Fortunately I don't have the repeat songs problem. However I just added about one hundred songs by two different artists that have not played once in the last three days! I keep restarting shuffle to refresh the queue but no dice yet. Sucks. 

Happened again... Same songs playing again in the same exact order... On both of these occasions i queued some random songs in beetwen these repeats.. Maybe that causes shuffle to mess up..

Had this happen during this week as well.  I tried closing & reopening the app (android user) and rebooting the phone, only to see the same songs in the queue that I had just heard.

I ended up uninstalling & reinstalling the app, which appears to have solved the issue for now.

When I try to shuffle the new Beatles library, Spotify plays The White Album and Abbey Road over and over and completely neglects virtually everything else rendering the Beatles catalog useless to me.

I use my Spotify at work in an office with 300 people! 3500 songs on!! Worked fine until around Xmas , now it's the same 50 songs! I'm having to play one by one!! So annoying!! What's more annoying is Spotify don't care and don't help in any way !!! Useless

I thought I was the only one.  I also have a lot of songs on my playlist, but it only plays about 25 of them throughout the day.  This really sucks. Especially at work work where I have to use my phone's data and I hate wasting data on songs I've already heard 3 times already.  I like many different genres of music and my playlist refects that, but its nothing but the same songs all day with Spotify "Shuffle" play.

I'm also a Pandora listener and I do like the randomness of it at times.  But one thing I like about Spotify is that it lets me choose the songs I want to hear and sometimes I just want the hear the tracks I choose, but Spotify is useless if it continously plays the same songs over and over.   

I don't understand what is so hard about making it completely random.

The worse thing is that Spotify is not responding to the critique. I have been a member since it was started and they should be ashamed. I wont change platform but I do feel ignored.

The logic is clear. They want you to play whats "best" for you. Well whatever will keep new members paying. But how would they know what everybody prefers? Human beings are diverse. If I click away a rock song in my mixed list(I don't use lists, I use the 'plus-function') then they think I don't want to listen to rock. Its stupid!! I use my list as a radio station of good music in my taste (I don't pay attention to categories), so sometimes I klick the song away because I'm used to it (it has to rest). But it might be interesting tomorrow.

I perfectly well understand the idea of controlling people's preferences to keep customers hooked. But please remember that all customers are not the same. Common Sotify, do something fresh!! Build in a new function that no other platform has - build several styles of shuffles.

Any however you chose a solution - let there be a natural shuffle!!! I want to enjoy all om my 7000+ songs in my song list. Let no song be repeated until all have played. Otherwise as it is now - the best shuffle on Spotify is going to be unshuffled playing.

(Ps, my sister says that Spotify staff is responding to critique on social media - twitter etc - even though she did not ask for it. So how would we understand this forum then? No Spotify employee has said a word in response to the critique that "we refined" users have put forth? Is Spotify locking us into this forum???)

This is bull crap...

I have a masters degree in statistics and I'm well prepared to show that a trial of 1000+ rotations in a song list of 200 is not random using statistical methodology.

I can't believe this has been going on for so long, I want to listen to something else other than the same 50 songs every day.

when i shuffle my playlist it plays them in the exact order every time

How has Spotify ignored so many complaints about shuffle and radio for so long?

Suggested posts