Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Shuffle play is not random

Solved!

Shuffle play is not random

Shuffle play was bad before the update and now its worse. On my 442 song playlist, the same 30 or 35 tracks play over and over again and the other 400 songs I have barely heard once. I have had to delete songs because shuffle play was choosing them everytime I would listen. Spotify developers say shuffle play is random but how is repeating the same 35 songs over and over random. For some reason there is a higher probability of certain songs playing than others. This is a major flaw in the system. The shuffle play programs needs to be totally overhauled, it is awful

523 Replies

I had enough of this so I finally just got rid of Spotify. It's pointless to save hundreds of tracks you love and not being able to hear 85% - 90% of them. Maybe sometime this century Spotify will get over their arrogance and listen to their users and give them a shuffle feature that actually works.

I have also now left Spotify for that exact reason and gone to Apple Music. Much much better and Spotify just don't seem to give a **bleep**.

I may have found some of the contribution to the problem.

I went down a large part of my list and a lot of the songs I have added are currently not available. There is no indication that it wasn't available until I tried manually playing each of them. They still appear on spotify as if it was available, you can still visit the artist page, they still show up on the artist page, but cannot be played.

When the songs are randomly playing, these songs will still be on your list but obviously won't be played.

Not to say this is the only reason, but I would say I have found a relatively large amount of songs that couldn't be played.

How many kudos do you have to get until spotify actually does something to fix the problem

Hey guys, Spotify did take feedback into consideration and pushed an update out for the shuffle algorithm last month.

This new algorithm keeps a list of tracks played (also between sessions) and does lower their weight in the weighted shuffling, effectively moving them to the bottom of the play queue.

If you're not noticing these sorts of changes, please post a comment here. https://community.spotify.com/t5/Implemented-Ideas/Implement-an-actual-shuffle-function/idi-p/27607

It helps us to get a clear cut idea of issues occurring before and after the algorithm update.

Thanks guys!

By all that is holy, the randomize sucks out loud!  Same song 3 times in a row...

Stop pushing updates to the «shuffle algorithm» and just make it RANDOM. Please?

I was listening to my playlist on shuffle. My phone died and when I started it up again 15 minutes later and started to listen to the same playlist on shuffle, the same exact songs started playing again. Shuffle play still stinks

yep, when I choose shuffle play for all my songs on my spotify app, only about 30 songs are chosen, once those 30 songs have been played, it just starts the list over again. that's not shuffle at all..I have over 1000 songs on spotify and all I want is what I've been able to do with every other program and app since the days of winamp back in the 90s lol. what's up spotify? why are you so behind the times and won't do anything about it? I pay a monthly fee for premium and I can't get a simple feature that shuffles all the music I have downloaded. getting close to just dropping premium and probably not using spotify at all anymore. it's absurd that this is even an issue, it's such a simple feature.

Same Here. When I hit shuffle play on a list of 50 songs it goes through the first 6 or 7 and then starts right back over again. How hard is it to get something like shuffle right. Using the latest version of spotify on iphone 6 and this happens on several playlists.

Hey guys, I've raised this with Spotify again, and they have confirmed they are definitely aware there are still issues with shuffle since the last update to the algorithm.

Please continue posting your feedback here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Implemented-Ideas/Implement-an-actual-shuffle-function/idi-p/27607

SPOTIFY FIX THE **bleep**ING SHUFFLE!! 05/20/16 ANDROID USER.

if this is some **bleep**ing marketing scheme I hate the living **bleep**ing out of you, do you understand how much we are already advertised to a day? we can't **bleep**ing take anymore of this repetitive **bleep**ing, you already have purchased money fix it!! it's simple the songs shuffle until all the songs have been played through then the playlist ends.... that **bleep**ing simple!!

I'm using it on desktop. It doesn't work at all there either!

Nothing new to add here, but very annoying that my playlist of 1200+ songs always plays the same 30..

I agree, at the moment Shuffle is still not working how it should. Last night I was listening to an Artist which has 8 albums and it repeated the same exact song 3 times in 10min, not good. This happened with iOS and Desktop App.

On my Samsung its the same damned thing!!! 😠😠 over 400 songs and it picks the same 30! FOUR HUNDRED. What the hell is wrong with this POS that I pay for?!

Experiencing the same thing with the desktop app - tired of listenting to the same songs over and over.

Will be ending my premium account and will make the move to Apple Music. Shame, Spotify has had plenty of time to get it right.

Same hère.

Always the same songs.
22h30 of potential music in à playlist but 30mn of actually playing
Last mobile version. Same for webplayer

How come a company that manages to elaborate the most complicated algorithms cannot manage to set up a function that is so darn easy??

I can't believe this conversation is been active for 2 years and that Spotify still didn't not anything about it..

I got a very long playlist, more than 1500 tracks, the random mode is just wandering the list jumping tracks 50 by 50..

Spotify, I love you but please, just do something to sort that out..

Thanks,

Suggested posts