Shuffle play is not random

Solved!

Shuffle play is not random

ws1482
Roadie

Shuffle play was bad before the update and now its worse. On my 442 song playlist, the same 30 or 35 tracks play over and over again and the other 400 songs I have barely heard once. I have had to delete songs because shuffle play was choosing them everytime I would listen. Spotify developers say shuffle play is random but how is repeating the same 35 songs over and over random. For some reason there is a higher probability of certain songs playing than others. This is a major flaw in the system. The shuffle play programs needs to be totally overhauled, it is awful

523 Replies

Colach
Music Fan
@esquice I guess, as long they are making more money then loosing the "**bleep**ty shuffle" will continue to make stains.

The only way to hear all songs is to not shuffle for now.

niklas_hiddenge
Did any of you ever consider the possibility, that spotify isn't just using some math.random method to choose the next track but tries to analyze which songs you like to hear? I'm thinking that spotify plays the songs I like to listen to. For example, songs I skip while shuffling won't be played as often as songs that I don't skip and songs I manually select from a playlist.
By the way, i've been using apple for some years and their random play isn't random either (or at least that's how I experienced it). iTunes even counts, how often every song is played and I would bet that this influences how often one title is played.

In my opinion, those big music services try to play the songs you really want to hear to satisfy you and therefore keep you using their service.
But nevertheless it happens that songs aren't played at all and this is something that has to be changed.

esquice
Regular

I agree with you Niklas, but as far as I'm concerned, when I want something to be "random", I expect it to be actually "random".

If I wanted to play my playlist "based on what I've listened" so be it, but call it otherwise... What's more, if you make a playlist, it's not to keep tracks that you don't like? How can you achieve "curation" if it keeps playing the same tracks on and on...

I had the same experience on iTunes, as you describe, after weeks of shuffling, the player was only playing something like 15% of the playlist, that was quiet anoying...

bloomnookem
Casual Listener
I think Spotify tries to figure out which music you prefer and plays more of that, I don't think it's the randomness algorithms but rather the preference algorithms overriding randomness, also I think this "same 50" phenomena has something to do with the fact that spotify's queue size is 50. The whole system needs a rethink.

esquice
Regular

well said

caiofragoso
My opinion about Spotify has changed ever so much since I first became premium, thanks to the crappy and ridiculous random feature.
I experience this kind of problem here: I try to listen to random Kiss songs, for example, and it only plays songs from the 90s and 00s, though the band has several (and, IMO, better and more relevant) albums in the 70s and 80s that never play when Spotify is random for the band's discography...
It gets me so frustrated that I'm considering not paying for it anymore.
My songs repeat themselves too much, I'm getting angry from listening to my favourite songs, thanks to the app's **bleep**ty algorithms.
Please, Spotify, solve it so I can have an experience that is worth my money!

bloomnookem
Casual Listener
I don't know what apples music costs but I heard its shuffle is much, much better than Spotify's

TheAdmiralAleho
Music Fan
It is and it has better sound quality and wider catalogue and is exactly the same price.

besweeet
Regular

@TheAdmiralAleho wrote:
It is and it has better sound quality and wider catalogue and is exactly the same price.

Its multi-platform support is garbage compared to Spotify's. For me, that's a big part of why I stick with Spotify. It also has crossfade playback, which Apple Music doesn't (at least on mobile devices).

nijolas

2 YEARS LATER THIS STILL SUCKS

Holt
Casual Listener

I don't know how this happened but right now I'm flipping through my 2600 song playlist on shuffle and the last 20 songs have been from the most recent 50 songs I added. It really sucks.

Littlebeech
Casual Listener
One thing I have noticed, don't know if it's the same for anyone else, if I change the filter, it shuffles different songs but then just plays those songs. Change the filter again, different songs played constantly again.

Casual Listener
What do you mean by filter ?

Bionuke
Casual Listener
Shuffle is still garbage. I have 980 songs in my playlist. It only plays the songs i must've listened to most. Super irritating as this playlist is intended so you don't hear the same thing twice in a session. It should be mathematically impossible.

Littlebeech
Casual Listener
How it lists the songs as in by Artist, Album, Song name and recently added.

Bionuke
Casual Listener
I think changing the sort to custom makes it completely random. Looks like it is so far. Ill keep testing.

Bionuke
Casual Listener
Nope it didnt work. Shuffle does however relate to your filter. Which is super stupid. -sigh- like fix this **bleep**. How hard is it to be like play a random song as long as it hasnt been played in this session. If repeat all is on then if all songs have been played reset and start again with a random song.

Littlebeech
Casual Listener
Right, I have had it on for 8 hours and the best way I have found is too create a random order for your songs and turn shuffle off. Every time you start that playlist again, just pick a random song yourself and leave it to play. Hopefully not a permanent solution (ahem...Spotify devs) but at least its always different. Hope this helps a bit 😄

Jassu
Casual Listener

Same problem with Android - the Shuffle is just useless.

How can it be so difficult to do proper shuffle?

user-removed
Not applicable

It's sad that people have been complaining about this for so long when it seems like such an easy fix. We did not have this problem years ago when technology was even simpler. All songs would simply be played in a random order before any was played again. It seems like Spotify is creating a mini playlist within your songs based on songs that are close to the first one played. This is fine but make it a separate option named mix or something, and give us an actual shuffle feature. Stop over thinking it!

Seriously considering ending my suscription 

SUGGESTED POSTS