Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Someone else's music has taken over my account

Someone else's music has taken over my account

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Iphone X

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

About 3 months ago someone else's account took over mine in the middle of playing music and started playing theirs. It is always the same for some reason. It says 'listening on Mrs S Echo. I initially thought it was something wrong with my Amazon echo but then it started happening when I was miles away from the house. I have 'chatted' to Spotify support and followed their instructions of logging out all devices, and i have changed my password 3 times but it still appears in my connected devices and takes over my music... Sometimes I disconnect from that device, play my music and 10 seconds later their music is back on...

I have family premium account and none of my kids are having the same issue. Only myself... Its driving me crazy. The only thing I can think of is to close the account down and start a new one or migrate to Apple music... 

The second time i went to Spotify support they did not have any other answers except to change my email account password which i thought was clutching at straws. 

Any help greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

3 Replies

Hi there!

Sorry to hear that you think someone else has gained access to your Spotify account. Check out this Spotify Answer for the next steps to take, sorry if they may sound repetitive if you've already tried as you said in your post 🙂

I'd also highly recommend picking a strong password and probably changing your wifi password to see if that helps!

Thanks!

Thanks for your post. I will try the info in the link and reply with how I get on. Thanks a lot

SOLVED!

So after months of trying to work this out it turned out to be an amazon Echo issue. My wife has an amazon account and I am liked to that. It turns out that my wife purchased my mother in law an amazon echo for her birthday and my daughter must have setup my mother in law via our account. As my amazon echo is linked to my Spotify account when my mother in law was accessing music it was overiding my account. This totally accounts for the terrible taste in music..  so to solve I simply deregistered the in laws devices in the Alexa app and now I have no issues with Spotify..  probably quite a random solution which won’t be useful for those who have genuinely been hacked but I can certainly say that Spotify support never offered me this solution even when I told them the name of the ‘intrusive device’ had echo assisgned to the name.. hope it helps.. thanks 

Suggested posts