Announcements

Songs from Local Files not showing up on iPhone

Solved!

Re: Songs from Local Files not showing up on iPhone

Regular
That should work, homie. Try creating a new folder for your local files.

Hey guys if you’re having trouble with syncing from the computer to your iPhone like I had try going in to your iPhones setting scrolling to the bottom clicking Spotify then enable Local Network that instantly fixed it for me 

Casual Listener

I have tried everything suggested above on my Mac and nothing works.  Spotify synced parts of some playlists in the past but not now. I tried the suggestion to fire up Spotify on both mac and iPhone, select listening on iPhone and then play a song I get a message saying song not downloaded (it was on my Mac); it then gives instructions on how to sync.  Unfortunately instruction 3 says to "mark that playlist containing this song for Offline Sync".  I cannot find "Offline Sync". Nevertheless, I hit the download button on the phone, and, voila, it sort of worked, syncing part of two playlists. I then tried this on my iPad, it worked again for almost all songs in two 1000 song playlists, but all the newly downloaded songs disappeared from the iPhone!?!.  I haven't been able to replicate this on any more playlists, iPhone or iPad. The iPad shows a line indicating it is downloading the correct # of songs but they don't show up. I also tried renaming a playlist on the Mac, and the new name appears on both devices, but the playlist is empty. All my playlists and songs show up in the Apple Music app on both iPhone and iPad, so syncing does work.   

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your replies in this thread.

We suggest that you double-check that the devices are on the same internet connection when syncing.

It would also  be great if you can let us know the exact troubleshooting steps you've tried so far.

We'll keep an eye out for your replies.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Casual Listener

Jeremy

Please note what I had written in my previous post.  I saw a post in another thread that provided a solution, after many hours of fiddling:

1. Uninstalled Spotify from my Mac

2. Deleted caches and anything else labeled Spotify on the hard drive

3. Deleted Spotify on iPhone and iPad (this doesn't actually do much as it's still in the App store ready to download and files that were there before are still there).

4. Re-booted all devices and the Mac

5. Reinstalled Spotify on the Mac

6. Downloaded Spotify on both devices and deleted caches

7. Assured that all three were on the same Wifi network

8. Enabled local file sharing in Spotify settings on devices

9. Disabled "hide unplayable songs" in device settings

10. Rebooted both devices

11. Pressed down arrow on playlists I had downloaded on Mac

Playlists on the iPhone all synced, regardless of down arrow press, on either Mac or phone.  iPad still was not synced.  Waited overnight to calm down, rebooted Mac and iPad, reinstalled Spotify on iPad, and everything synced, again with or without download button press.  When I first did steps 1-11 I can't say for sure that I did both devices in the exact same order but can't see why it matters.  

It appears that the most likely fix was deleting everything on the Mac and starting over.  Whether steps 6, 8 and 9 matter is hard to say as I won't redo the experiment.  If anyone at Spotify is actually interested in this problem, some other info may be helpful.  I'm fairly sure that syncing worked two years ago as I made a new playlist which synced to both devices; it's the old ones that didn't.  Since then I got a new router and updated iOS twice, either of which could have confused Spotify. Nevertheless, syncing playlists should be seamless, as it is with iTunes/Apple music; at the least they should have this fix somewhere in the support site. The other issue they should look at are the incorrect instructions in Spotify and from the "Moderators".  As noted in my first post and by others, the instruction to "enable offline sync" is impossible as there is no button. A moderator post said to go to iPhone or iPad Storage - there is no such thing.  As noted the download arrow doesn't seem to do anything, except sometime returning the erroneous instructions on how to sync. And if they are looking for bugs to fix, when having trouble syncing I renamed a playlist on the Mac, the new Playlist title showed up on my devices but without any songs in the playlist.  So it wasn't a problem with communication as was suggested, but rather accessing and/or syncing songs in the playlist.

If it's a cache problem it should be a relatively easy fix but it should be addressed.

Hey there @peterisakson,

Thanks for keeping in touch and sharing all the steps you've tried.

We're sorry for any mix-ups and to hear that your experience hasn't been the best. Rest assured, we're here to help.

Just to make sure, did you also try to sync your local files using a different Internet connection? That would help us narrow down the cause of the issue.

We'd also like to confirm if the new playlist you created did sync alright with your iPad and iPhone and if it has all your local files showing or there are some missing.

Lastly, we'd like to know the Spotify version you're running on all your devices so we can further investigate.

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

THANK YOU!!! 

Casual Listener

Carlos,

It's not clear why I would try to sync on a different internet connection; the guidance I saw from another moderator was to be sure to use the same connection...  My router has a regular and a 5G line and I may have inadvertently tried syncing the iPad when computer and device were on separate lines and it didn't work, but I'm not sure when that was.  

Version on both iPad and Phone is 8.5.86.739.  Computer is an absurdly long string: 1.1xxxxxxxxxc717.  It's whatever came when I deleted then re-downloaded the app.  My assumption was that all are most current given what I had done.

To re-iterate, when playlists were not syncing songs, I had some playlists partly populated apparently from an old past sync, but new songs did not sync.  When I created a new playlist (imaginatively called Playlist 3) and populated it with songs, the playlist name (Playlist 3)  synced but without any songs.  Only after I went through the steps above, mainly deleting then restoring Spotify everywhere, did songs sync. So, yes, the playlist synced, as I noted in the post. And Apple music synced them all instantaneously and without issue - but, it's Apple...

Some variation of this problem seems to have been happening since 2013 based on various threads. I would have thought that Spotify could have solved the problem by now.  

SUGGESTED POSTS