Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Songs in Multiple off-line playlists

Solved!

Songs in Multiple off-line playlists

If I have a song that is in different off-line playlists, does it only take up space on my phone once or does it take up space for each off-line playlist? In other words, if I have 5 GB of songs synced off-line to my phone and have each song in two playlists, does it take up 5 GB of data or 10 GB of data on my iphone? Thanks!
Jon

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Interestingly, this came up recently and from user testing it seems that only one copy of a track, whether local file or a download from spotify, is stored in the cache. So the answer is 5GB.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

@Joe is correct. I performed those tests and it only appears to sync once. Ultimate proof is if you sync an offline playlist, then force your application into offline mode you can play tracks from that offline playlist from another playlist (which isn't available offline) even without a connection. Therefore the application must know that track is downloaded in another playlist (therefore only once).

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Interestingly, this came up recently and from user testing it seems that only one copy of a track, whether local file or a download from spotify, is stored in the cache. So the answer is 5GB.

Thanks!
Marked as solution

@Joe is correct. I performed those tests and it only appears to sync once. Ultimate proof is if you sync an offline playlist, then force your application into offline mode you can play tracks from that offline playlist from another playlist (which isn't available offline) even without a connection. Therefore the application must know that track is downloaded in another playlist (therefore only once).

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts