Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone 12 Max Pro, iPhone 12 Mini

Operating System

iOS 14.3

Spotify will no longer connect to Sonos.  The Spotify App shows that the music is playing and its "connected" but it does not work.  When the app is only playing on the phone, no issues.  I've rebooted both phones, the router, Sonos, reinstalled Spotify and nothing works.  I dont know what else to try, this stuff all worked fine and suddenly nothing.  The iPhone Mini will work but only when after one connection attempt times out.  Any ideas? 

22 Replies

Hey @mlwearem,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

Just to confirm, have you tried a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your device? We recommend the steps in that guide, as they’re very thorough and make sure no damaged leftover files remain. These changes tend to solve issues like the one you're experiencing. Give your device a quick restart as well before you open the newly installed app.

If that doesn't fix things, we recommend unlinking your Spotify account  from the Sonos app, reinstalling the Sonos app and linking them anew. That way the connection will get built anew from the ground up. You can use this guide.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.  

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I followed all of your instructions and it made no changes to the problem. I did the clean install for both Spotify and Sonos and it still will not connect on the first try and it used to. What is the next step to escalate this bug?

Hey @mlweare,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

It's a good idea to check if the firmware is up-to-date. In case you're using any battery optimization or power saving apps, you can deactivate them for Spotify.

We'd suggest you also try with another account. Are there any changes?

If the issue persists, we'll need the Spotify version that is running on your device. We'll investigate this further.

Keep us in the loop! We'll be right here if you have any questions.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I tried another account and I'm still having the issue. 

Spotify Version 8.5.86.739

What are next steps?

Hi @mlweare

Thank you for sending this information. 

Could you confirm if it only happens on your phones or if the issue persists on other devices too?

It would also be great if you could try with another internet connection if it's possible.

Let us know how it goes!

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

The Issue is specific to the phones, also I tried a new internet connection and same issue. 
The only way I can get the music to play is if I “forget” the Sonos device and then try to connect again. The first attempt always times out and then the second will usually connect. However, this takes like 2 and half minutes when it used to be instant.

also, the Spotify app becomes un-responsive and the play/pause button is sometimes grayed out and won’t work at all. 

Hi again @mlweare

Thanks for keeping us in the loop 🙂

Could you let us know if this started happening after a specific event such as an update?

Just to make sure, have you already checked if your Sonos device's firmware has any updates available?

We'll be waiting for your reply!

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Yes she started happening sometime around the release of iOS 14 but it’s not just iOS related because my other device which has android has the same issue

Hey there @mlweare,

Thank you for your reply.

Can you double-check so that your Sonos device's firmware is up to date?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

That was the first thing that I checked and yes it’s up to date

Hi again @mlweare

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Just to confirm, have you made sure to have Spotify added as a music service on your Sonos system?

We'd also recommend making sure that you have enabled ‘Control Sonos from Spotify’ in the Sonos app under settings. 

Let us know how it goes.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Spotify the only authorized music service.

I don’t see Control Sonos from Spotify as an option anywhere in the Sonos app

I still can’t get music through the Spotify app to my sonos. What is the next step?

Hey @mlweare,

Thanks for bearing with us and for the info provided.

Could you try unlinking and linking your accounts again in the Alexa app by following these steps?

We'd also like to know the exact model and firmware version of your Sonos device.

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

I unlinked and re-linked via Alexa, no change. 
I have a Sonos play bar, two Sonos Ones and a sub woofer all linked together in one “room” 

Hi @mlweare,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

Could you try linking your account to each Sonos device and try each separately to see if that makes any difference? This will help us narrow down the possible cause of the issue.

We'd also like to know the firmware version of each device.

We'll be looking out for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

Linking to either system causes the same problem.  So neither will respond to the Spotify App.  

See below for version info:

Sonos App: 12.2.5

Sonos OS: S2

Build: 61185260

Playbar Version: 12.2.2 (Build 61183220)

Hardware version: 1.9.1.10-1.2

Sonos One Version: 12.2.2 (Build 61183220)

Hardware Version: 1.26.1.6-1.1

Sonos AMP Version: 12.2.2 (Build 61183220)

Hardware Version 1.24.1.12-1.2

That was the first thing I checked and it is up to date 

What’s the next step? This still doesn’t work

Suggested posts