Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify 1.7.0 crashing on sync

Solved!

Spotify 1.7.0 crashing on sync

Just added some new local files to my starred playlist yesterday, and app was crashing when I tried to sync (about 12 songs?)

Then today the same was happening, reinstalled the app, synced all the spotify tracks fine, then tried to sync the local files (approx 150), it made it until the last 60 before crashing. Since then it syncs a couple at a time, before crashing up until the last ~45, and now it crashes immediately upon opening the app. 

Any ideas/help would be appreciated!

280 Replies

I've since reinstalled it at least 4 more times and it's still not working.

Please help.

@ling08 wrote:

Spotify keeps crashing on my iphone. I did a clean reinstall but that did NOT help the problem.

A more detailed description, using numbered steps

1. First I did this

I open the app expecting it to work properly and then it crash. I tried to reopen the app over and over again but nothing happened.

2. Then I did that

I tried to reset my device. That usually does the trick.

3. I also did this

i reinstalled the app.

4. then this

Tried to open the app but it still keeps on crashing.

What I expected to happen:

For the app to work without any problems.

What actually happened

The app crashes every single time.

My iPad/iPhone model

iPhone 5

Device’s Operating System

Is your device jailbroken?

No

Approximately how many playlists do you have?

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

My provider and country

ATT, USA

This is completely unacceptable. I pay for a service that I am not receiving. I have tried all the tricks, including reinstalling. That is NOT an acceptable solution to this problem as I have thousands of songs to resync everytime. Patch this please. Everything was working until the latest update. Not a fan of throwing my money away for something I can't use. 

I just deleted the app, reset my phone holding the center and lock button, reinstalled it, downloaded all my songs for offline use, and it seems to be working. This is not the solution if like me you have a good amount of songs that you had to put on from your computer that spotify didn't have. I think the problem stems from syncing with your computer, or even downloading songs to your phone on the same wifi with your computer without actually syncing. This is highly unacceptable still, with ac/dc not being on spotify and mixtape snot being on spotify you have to be able to sync.

reinstallation worked so long as I synced only Spotify tracks. Once I started adding my local files, I would get crashes again. It would load 20 songs then crash, then the songs wouldn't show up as loaded any more. over and over.

I believe you have a point when it come to syncing local files. 

Once I plug my phone in to my comouter to synce the local files the problem starts again. Crash, crash crash

Update

I was using the app with no syncing of local files, it worked for long than it has, than by coincidence or because it's part of the problem I changed the playlists to view offline only, then it crashed, so it delayed the problem but the problem still persists.

@Mjames10121

Now that you mention it, the app started crashing again for me once I enabled the view filter to show offline only.

I'm going to try to download and sync my local files, and see if the problem is as simple as the filter causing it to crash or if it's either or meaning both local files and filter will cause it to crash.

IPHONE MODEL: 4s

IOS 7.1.2

SPOTIFY VERSION: Latest Version

APPROX CRASH FREQUENCY: Seconds after launching. 

JAILBROKEN: No

It started crashing often a few weeks ago buy now crashes instantly after start up before i can even play anything. Ive tried all of the obvious fixes.

Okay so as of now, I have all my local files synced to my phone through my computer, it is working fine, the problem is filtering your playlists to view offline only. I have no idea why and if this is only for me but if this is for everybody we have to let spotify know. We pay 10 dollars a month if we want to filter offline only we should be able to, but now it is usable, if this doesn't work for you I don't get it, if spotify stops working for me, I will let you know. But as of now it is working just fine, and not filtering is the solution.

I just tested the available offline filter function on the latest version of Spotify iOS 1.7

Everything goes well, kindly follow this steps to resolve the problem:

Pertaining your issue, that seems like it shouldn't happen given what you’ve described (I've tried on my end and it works perfectly fine), I guess your music cache is corrupted, kindly do a clean reinstallation following the steps below:

Click into your Spotify App -> Logout from Spotify (Spotify app Settings -> Logout) -> [If you are on premium and have songs that are on available offline, click here: https://www.spotify.com/sg-en/account/offline-devices/ and remove all devices -> Go to iPhone Settings, General, Usage and Delete the app -> Go to App Store and download the Spotify app again.

Also clear off Safari’s Cache under iPhone/iPad Settings > Safari and Clear all of the caches.
Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

If deleting the app with all my sync'd songs is always going to be the answer then I'm moving to another service. Inexcusable answer.

Ipod 5G

iOS 7.1.2

Spotify version 1.7.0.2390

crash frequency-few seconds after opening the app

jailbroken-NA (Ipod)

App crashes a few seconds after opening, don't even have time to play a song. Tried deleting then reintstalling the app, seemed OK at first, then when I tried to finish re-syncing my local files, the app crashed again. Will try one more reinstallation, if that doesn't work I am cancelling my subscription, will try Rdio or Rhapsody.

Same problem. App started crashing after 9/10 update. I reinstalled the app and when I started re-syncing my local files, the app crashed again. Tried reinstalling a second time, same result. Get it together Spotify or I am cancelling my subscription!

@HookemAZ

Having to download music each time we reinstall is incredibally annoying, but switching to a different service would not solve this problem. I've used competing services and the same thing happens when you delete their apps. That is because each app file is essentially a container. Files needed for the app, as well as any user created/downloaded files are stored in this container. So by deleting the app file, you delete anything that has been saved.

One thing Spotify could do is remember what we have downloaded, as well as app settings, so that reinstalling would allow it to start downloading everything again automatically. Of course if they actually tested the update before releasing it then we wouldn't have this problem to begin with...

@jeremygoh

It working now for me, if I do what you just said, I would have to re download all my songs and re-sync for like the 10th time and it is getting old. If I do this are you sure it will work?

On multiple occasions in the past three days, I've repeatedly and re-install the app on my phone, and the problem of the crashes still persist. It's driving me insane, and I'd very much like to know what is being done about it. Please inform me when an update will be available.

Hey there @kirkkkkkkkkk, welcome to the community!

That's definitely something Spotify doesn't want happening! To help them look into the problem can you please provide the following:

iOS Device & Model:

iOS Version:

You said you tried resetting your device, just to make sure, can you try these following steps:

1. Uninstall the Spotify app

2. Hold Power button and the Home button together until you see the Apple logo appear

3. Try reinstalling and opening Spotify 

If your case is resolved, please click the 'Accept as Solution' button and add your kudos!

I did what you said step by step.

My phone started crashing again when it was communicating via wifi with my laptop.

The issue is with offline files.

Same here my app keeps crashing making it unusable. 

Suggested posts