Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect Stream Rate

Solved!

Spotify Connect Stream Rate

Does spotify connect stream with the same bit rate as what is set in the ios app, like 320 bps for the extreme setting or does connect stream with a lower standard bit rate without regard to what setting we have in the ios app?

Since spotify connect is streaming directly to a receiver or speaker, I figure it may not care what our settings are at on our phone or ipad. Thanks.

Jon

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey all,

Yep, there's only one streaming quality on all hardware devices, e.g. Sonos, Pioneer, Samsung Smart TVs. For the vast majority of tracks (virtually all), it's 320kbps.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

The hardware device streams direct from the spotify servers and, as far as I know, all the connect-enabled hardware devices stream at 320 kbps. The quality setting on the controlling device doesn't come into play

I would have to agree with @Joe here, playing around with it, it seems to ignore my application settings and stream at what "sounds like" 320kbps.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Marked as solution

Hey all,

Yep, there's only one streaming quality on all hardware devices, e.g. Sonos, Pioneer, Samsung Smart TVs. For the vast majority of tracks (virtually all), it's 320kbps.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

If this is the case, why is the streaming quality when I listen to Spotify using my iOS device through my Apple TV to my Onkyo receiver so much better than when I use Spotify connect on that same receiver? Thanks in advance for your reply. 

If this is the case, why is the streaming quality when I listen to Spotify using my iOS device through my Apple TV to my Onkyo receiver so much better than when I use Spotify connect on that same receiver? Thanks in advance for your reply. 

I would agree that the Spotify connect audio quality is not very good.  I would ask the moderator does it vary depending on Spotify server load?  Ie drop to a low quality if you have many users on at the same time.  Also a duff codec could be affecting it. Which codec soes spotify connect use and is it different compared the desktop app or the phone apps?  Should we not rellay be expecting lossless compression on a premium Spotify subscription and spotify connect on high-end reciever?  I know the Denon can decompress FLAC (Free lossless audio codec).

The bit rate may be 320k, but the sound quality is subpar compared with AirPlay. That is my experience with my Onkyo TX-NR656 and a pair of Klipsch R-24F.

If you have a high end system and a audiophile-like ear, AirPlay is your best option.

Precisely my experience.

Same here: Any song sent to Spotify Connect on my Denon x3200w sounds significantly worse than through the Spotfy app on my Nvidea Shield TV that's connected to the same Denon receiver via HDMI.

Same worst quality on my new Onkyo TX-NR656 with Spotify Connect. Not good...:-(

I too use an Nvidia Shield and the sound quality connecting with the Shield app is much better than my Yamaha stereo with Spotify Connect.  The Shield is connected to the same Yamaha, and sounds much, much better.  Definitely more fidelity.

Yeah Spotify connect is inferior to airplay. Spotify connect Seems have to have low band with. Playing Spotify though airplay to my bose Sound mich better than connect. Please fix this. 

If my Spotify account is Free, and using it on Nvidia Shield, would I get the best audio bitrate? Or I must be a Preimum account holder?

I don't see the difference with respect to bandwidth when analyzing LAN traffic.

Scenario 1: Playing "Extreme" quality on iOS (active subscription)

Result: Spotify dumps the song to the iOS app at 2-3MB/s for a few seconds until the entire song is buffered, then network traffic goes to zero.

Scenario 2: Playing same song via Spotify Connect on Denon X4400 Receiver

Result: Traffic from Spotify shows ~ 377 kbits/s during the entire song play.

So it indeed looks like 320 kbits/sec is the rate Spotify is streaming to the Denon device. Sounds great to me.  I have listened to a number of the web based blind tests out there and can tell the difference between 128 and 320 more or less consistently 🙂

Suggested posts