Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect multiple devices/speakers

Spotify Connect multiple devices/speakers

Is there a way to cast to multiple devices/speakers at the same time?

Starting a playlist, let’s say I want to select both the sonos system in the kitchen and the a/v system in the Living Room to play the same Music simultaniously (using only the Spotify app, not the sonos app). Is that possible? If so, How?

if not, why not?

12 Replies

Hey @Brasch! I actually do not know but, the only way I connect is using Bluetooth. I have never actually connected two speakers at the same time, but it might work if you use two Bluetooth enabled devices and connect each speaker to every device that has Spotify on it. I hope this works for you, and tell me if it does not.

Hey folks, Thanks for reaching out to us about this. It's currently not possible to stream music to two separate devices using Spotify Connect. However, there's a popular idea in the Community which you can add your vote to - just head here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Connect-Multiple-Speakers-Devices-simultaneously/idi-p/6.... Hope that helps!

This is the one thing that keeps me from making Spotify my primary music listening service at home. I have 5 zones each zone having an echo and an airplay audio device attached. iTunes and aother services allow me to stream to multiple rooms. 

Spotify does not so I only use spotify on the go or in the car. Maybe this is what they want since this is such an obvious thing that even iTunes has supported for 20 years. 

Hey @d3m7n_q-1x2qt,

Thanks for bringing your feedback about this to the Community.

We always welcome users' feedback on features they'd like to see implemented. The best way to do so is via the Idea Exchange, since it allows us to gauge the relative popularity of all the different ideas that are submitted.

With this in mind, make sure to add your vote to this relevant idea. Even though the status is currently set to 'Not Right Now', we're still eager to hear from users, so feel free to also leave a comment in the Idea thread.

You can find out more about how users' feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange in this Spotify Answer.

Thanks again! Take care for now 🙂

If all 5 of your speakers are Echos, then it's totally possible. Just go into your Alexa app and group all 5 of your speakers together under a single group name (e.g. WholeHouse or Everywhere). Then the group will show up on Spotify Connect and you can play the same music in multiple rooms. It works for me with 3 Echo devices (Echo, Spot, Show5)

It doesn't work if you have multiple types of devices - PC, Echo devices, 5.1 speakers hooked up to a receiver, etc.

Hey there @Brasch

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

We suggest you take a look at this help article. It includes useful tips on how to create a group of your Sonos-devices. This feature allows you to play the same music on multiple speakers simultaneously. 

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know if you have any more questions.

This isnt really a matter of grouping sonos, thats done easy enough. 
but ti get the same Music Playing on several devices at the same time. 
A pair of sonos in the kitchen, a/v-receiver in the Living room, another a/v-receiver in a second room

I can see why they don't want to implement it.

I'm no programmer, but I know it would need sync packets and some "new" technologies (for Spotify at least) between the devices, and if they're on the same network, with the same ping etc, I think it would be a headache.

I also have two speakers running HiFiBerryOS and would like to stream. Guess I'll have to stick to Apple's AirPlay. That severely limits my choices of devices to use / apps to use.

I agree this is a huge gap in Spotify's functionality.  In the meantime, I've been using Airfoil .  It works great with my combination of Sonos, Denon, Apple, and Google products.  While not free, isn't too pricey at $29.

Please also upvote this idea so Spotify will implement this someday.

I didn't realize when I signed on to premium today that I could not use both my sonos and blue tooth speaker at the same time. This is a game changer for me. I will be canceling my subscription for the next month. 

If you connect your echo devices as a group. It allows Spotify to play on multiple devices. For example, I have a group named everywhere with just echos included. Therefore if I say, “Alexa plays XYZ everywhere,” the devices will play the same thing. I have noticed that lately, she gets a little testy, and I have to manual section everywhere in the Alexa mobile app. However, is has been working for at least 3 years. 

Hey folks,

Once again thanks for reaching out about this.

Just writing to confirm that specific devices (Sonos, Amazon Echo, Gogle Home, etc.) allow to be paired into groups in order to allow simultaneous playback.

However Spotify does not support streaming from more than one device / device group at the same time.

Cheers!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts