Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Offline Mode REQUIRES internet access to use! Nearly useless on iPod Touch!

Solved!

Spotify Offline Mode REQUIRES internet access to use! Nearly useless on iPod Touch!

EDIT: iPod 4th generation running up-to-date iOS6.

Almost every single time I open up the Spotify App I'm required to "login" -- it absolutely isn't remembering sessions very well at all. The iPod isn't turned off, isn't reset, other apps aren't opened.

I was listening to music last night while reading in the Kindle App, and this morning, literally the next time the iPod was used, I was required to login. Except, I was in my car, so obviously I didn't have internet access and I was denied access to my music.

After logging in at work and using it, then locking the device for some time, I used it again to drive to lunch. Once again: you must login to use the app.

How can you call it "offline mode" if you must be "online" whenever you want to use it!

I get that most people have phones so they can use the internet to enable offline mode, but it seems deceptive to call it offline mode if in fact it actually requires an active internet connection every single time I want to use the feature! 

(For the record: I just opened up Spotify on my iPod while writing this: Had to login even though I've used Offline mode TWICE today already!) 

It is very frustrating to only be able to listen to Spotify Offline when I have WiFI access! It's difficult to remember to explicitly relogin to Spotify BEFORE leaving somewhere, just so I can have music while traveling. 

Is this intentional or is the app just doing a crappy job of handling sessions?

As it stands: the spotify app is nearly unsuable on an iPod touch unless you're sitting at home with wifi. I'm getting tired of having no music in the car or at the gym because, even though I was logged in, I am suddenly required to login again...

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

This is a problem with Spotify's Facebook login requirement. While I'm not actually allowed to say this (don't be surprised if the post gets deleted), this will solve your problem:

First, create a device password for your account. This can be done here: http://www.spotify.com/account/set-device-password/ 

Then, instead of logging in with Facebook, log in with Spotify details, which are your username that consists of random numbers and your device password.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

I'm having exactly the same problem on my iPhone.  And, weirdly, it just started happening even though I've been a Spotify user for many months.

It's infuriating.  Anyone have any ideas?  I've completely ditched iTunes for Spotify — making this problem a major bummer while on long flights or train rides.

Please help!

Same problem here.  It doesn't even allow me to get to my Offline playlists.  I have to use Slacker Radio cached music until I can get to wireless again.  When I do, it says "You have already authorized Spotify. Press 'Okay' to continue."  Yah - I know.

iPhone 4s with iOS6... I have now eperienced 2 flights without ANY music because of this BS. Please explain offline music when you need a network to authenticate?!?! This is so incredibly frustrating for a paying premium member.

HAHAHA very funny....

Screen Shot 2012-10-02 at 1.46.55 PM.png

UPDATE: just in case I was missing something I manually put the Spotify app in offline mode, then put the phone into airplane mode, rebooted the phone and it still wanted to log in before it will play any music. Crazy.

Marked as solution

This is a problem with Spotify's Facebook login requirement. While I'm not actually allowed to say this (don't be surprised if the post gets deleted), this will solve your problem:

First, create a device password for your account. This can be done here: http://www.spotify.com/account/set-device-password/ 

Then, instead of logging in with Facebook, log in with Spotify details, which are your username that consists of random numbers and your device password.

You rock Stupify! I just created a device password and re-tested below and it worked fine.

> UPDATE: just in case I was missing something I manually put the Spotify app in offline mode, then put the phone into airplane mode, rebooted the phone and it still wanted to log in before it will play any music. Crazy.

For some reason, that link just drops me into edit my profile — maybe that means I've already setup a device password?  Now to remember it...

Out of curiousity, @stupify, why wouldn't you be "allowed" to post something that solves a problem for paying customers?  Seems counter-intuitive.

Thanks much!

Because the device password allows you to disconnect a Facebook-made account from Facebook, if you were to log in to the desktop version with it. That would be a bad thing because it's much harder to remember the random numerical username than your password. Also, Spotify employees have said there may be trouble if you do that.

Don't disconnect from Facebook, and you should be fine.

If the link drops you into edit profile, you signed up for Spotify before they required Facebook (or used the email option recently reintroduced). It means you have Spotify details and you should log in using those instead of Facebook.

I edited my profile and clicked on this link.

Use Spotify on your devices

Set your device password to use Spotify on your Sonos, Squeezebox and a whole heap of other devices. Set a password for your devices

I got an email with a device username.  It also had a link for "Set your device password".  When I clicked on that it eventually tells me:

Using Facebook?

It looks like you are using your Facebook credentials to log in to Spotify. To change your Facebook password go to your settings page at facebook.com.

And it won't let me go any further.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Suggested posts