Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Playlist on CarPlay Only Showing 200 Tracks

Spotify Playlist on CarPlay Only Showing 200 Tracks

I have a Spotify CarPlay list with 250 tracks but the CarPlay app will only show the first 200.

I can access the tracks 201 - 250 by clicikng on the forward track button but I can't physically see them within the app.

Is this a bug or has the CarPlay app limited this purposely?

50 Replies

I wouldn't hold your breath for a fix. They can't even be bothered to respond to this thread.

I will cancel my subscription until they fix this, i began to drive crazy until i realized that 3/4 of my songs are actually missing when using car play, the most reasonable feature when on the road.

Adding additional song files to the local folder is also totally bugged, after the initial import of the local files, they aren`t available if you restart spotify, until you cut and replace the same files at the directory....what the literal F 😛

@Bazza06 wrote:

I wouldn't hold your breath for a fix. They can't even be bothered to respond to this thread.

Yea i don´t get this at all, 30 million paying user and spotify wont be willing to spend some resources to fix it, even worse, they won´t give any reply over months... a freking shame.

There are so many flaws in basic functionality, which i am already resigned to.

Even the randomization is not usable when sorting your playlist the 'wrong' way, this simply appears unprofessional.

I have the feeling they have some major flaw in software desing for the app, forcing them to totally refactor the app, which would eat up so much ressources, that they won´t be willing to invest anything.

Anyway, being non responsive when having 'bad' news seem to become a thing in it business, having the goal to maximize profits while ignoring most 'minor' requests. (howsoever they determine the priority for features like carplay)

Just spend some money and increase resources ffs, after reading tons of threads at the forum, i will stop spending mine until i see any kind of reaction.

I just booked my iPhone up to my truck today and noticed something. It said playing xx song of 585 and wasn't limiting me to 200! I'm not sure if Spotify has changed this in a recent update or I found a way to somehow make it work.

Has anyone else had any recent success with this?

I'll check it out tomorrow morning

See my first post in this thread. 

The issue is that only the first 200 tracks are shown within CarPlay. 

You can have a playlist of hundreds but CarPlay only shows the first 200. 

I do realize that, however, he said he didn't experience that recently.

The point I'm making is that playing +200 tracks in a list isn't the issue. You just can't see past the 200th track in the playlist.

I have just checked in case the latest update rectified this issue which it haasn't.

When I scroll down my playlist which contaians 263 tracks I can see every icon to each track up to the 200th track. After that it goes no further.

It's ridiculous and so is Spotify for not sorting this out or even responding on their own forum.

As an Apple user (iPhone, iPad, Mac) I get Apple Music offered to me frequently yet I've stuck with Spotify but it seems they have no loyalty to their customers.

I did not notice any change. I could not use my carplay interface to shuffle all my tracks. Still showing only 200.
I still have to use my phone interface to show all my tracks to shuffle.

I understand what you were saying fully. What I was saying was that I had full visibility of a playlist greater than 200 songs on the carplay screen in my vehicle. Where it normally said 25 of 200 in the top right it said 25 of 665 (the total number of songs on that playlist) without the cap of 200 or being restricted to the most recently added 200.

So, I was able to figure out what allowed me to see my entire playlist.

I opened the playlist, selected my song and hit play before plugging my phone into the USB of my car stereo (I believe it was mentioned earlier in the thread). When I started the car, the carplay screen showed the whole playlist and all the songs. I was able to skip forward and back and randomly though the songs, and I checked to make sure that the songs that were now available were the ones that came after the first 200.
When I tried to open a different playlist though it went back to showing only 200 songs again.

It's nice to know there's a work around, but I would still prefer full functionality as opposed to a cheat to make it work.

It seems like the issue stems from the pre loading and possibly buffering of songs. When you play a radio station or some playlists it shows 1 of 25, then when you get to the last song it then opens up and shows 1 of 50 and so on. This seems like it could be rectified rather easily by Spotify, but I don't know why it hasn't been.

I have always seen the total number of tracks in my playlist. What I can't see is the icon or track details for those from 200 onwards.

If I hit the button for next track the screen shows me the name of the track but I cannot scroll any futher than 200 in the playlist itself.

Just for laughs I went to a CarPlay forum to search for any issues there. Clearly is doesn't bother anyone else but us. Proof by the first screenshot of this webpage. http://www.carplaylife.com/news/spotify-app-update-adds-long-overdue-apple-carplay-controls/

What's interesting about that first screenshot is that it shows a playlist of 200 tracks!! The max number we are able to see icons of. 

That suggests to me they know of an issue but doing nothing about it. Too much of a coincidence. 

Open spotify without the phone connected to bluetooth or a lightning cable. select shuffle and plug the phone in after is starts playing. Then it will show all of the songs that you have available in your playlist. Its not a fix but a work around. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

A similar solution was posted previously but thanks for confiming this works.

I have since cancelled my Spotify subscription and moved to Apple Music.

I am very disappointed that Spotify did not address this issue or reply to any of the posts within this thread.

I am also disappointed that with all the app updates they have released in recent times none have rectified this issue.

I have this same issue with the spotify app on ios with a 2018 Subaru with Carplay, affecting the list of artists.  In my case I can only get through part of the J's, when I hit my 200th artist.  This sucks because my CarPlay doesn't seem to have the #-Z index, only up and down arrows.

Haven't checked with artists, I'll do that later.

This sucks, because while I much prefer Spotify for the number of playlist available from other sources online, I'm not willing to give up most of my library of music to do so.

I found out that it you start your playlist before you plug it up it will load every song.

Hey, everyone. 

Just to register, same problem here. 

What was meant to make or lives easier and safe ends up to getting us some troubles. 

I use Spotify a lot. Headphones, chromecast, selecting music, albuns all the time, etc. But, generaly in my car, I use all my 1000 offline songs on shuffle. If I forget to play shuffle before the connection to carplay, I have to stop the car, grab my phone and do it.

I believe CarPlay was developed to make drivers forget their phones while driving. Spotify is not making sense on that way. And, please, improve the app design. It’s ridiculous. They use the album folder to male a blured background, but do not show the cover it self. Come on!

Load your playlist and hit play before you plug it in. It will load every song that you have saved instead of just 200. This allows you full access to your music from your headunit and steering wheel so you dont have to touch your phone. Its not a fix but it is a work around that doesnt really annoy me.

Suggested posts