Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Playlist on CarPlay Only Showing 200 Tracks

Spotify Playlist on CarPlay Only Showing 200 Tracks

I have a Spotify CarPlay list with 250 tracks but the CarPlay app will only show the first 200.

I can access the tracks 201 - 250 by clicikng on the forward track button but I can't physically see them within the app.

Is this a bug or has the CarPlay app limited this purposely?

50 Replies

Yes, man. Thanks, I was doing that. But, as uou said, it’s not a fix, and
it’s against the CarPlay purpose.

Update:

In the privacy and safety of my own garage, I did some troubleshooting and this is a much worse problem than I thought.

After disconnecting from the car (Bluetooth and CarPlay), I noticed that even the iOS version would also only shuffle from a portion (200 songs) of my song library. For instance, I changed the sort from "Recently Added" to "Title" and shuffle would only select songs stat started with 'A' or 'B'.

So, I deleted the Spotify app from my iPhone and re-installed it. Joy! Shuffle randomly selects from ALL my songs.

"Joy!" was shortlived. After I connected my iPhone to CarPlay and hit shuffle again, I was back to the 200 song limit on CarPlay. AND, my iPhone was back to its 200 song limit.

Interestingly, I can choose any song from the library using the iPhone (say one that starts with 'S'), but the other songs in the randomized list also start with 'S' rather than being chosen from the entire library.

In other words, connecting to Spotify on CarPlay corrupts Spotify on iOS's normal function.

---------

1. I have playlists that exceed 200 songs that seem to work.

2. My library has WELL beyond that but will only shuffle amongst the most recent 200 I added to it.

3. The previously mentioned workaround no longer seems to help me, though it has in the past.

I don't pay $15 per month (Family Plan) to be able to randomly listen to the same 200 songs over and over again.

iOS 11.2.5 on an iPhone 6.

Yep, same on my CarPlay System. Thougt it is maybe an issue between my Head Unit (Pioneer SPH-DA230Dab) and Apple CarPlay. 

But reading through all the posts it seems an issue ob the SpotifyPlayer and CarPlay. I have 1200 tracks. Spotify on the head unit is only showing 1-200 of them. 

Luckily the Pioneer Head Unit does not force my iPhone 6 with iOS11 into CarPlay mode. So I can access my spotify app/acount on the phone.

That’s how I managed to get all tracks synchroized: just tapping the last song within my song library on my iPhone. 

Tadaa... Apple CarPlay was then able to shuffle my whole library showing for example song 896 of 1200 in the upper left corner.

But this is not the way it should be. I assume that this is not a fault of Spotify. If you think about Apple and remember how restricted everything is handled with regards to third party software by their corporate philosopy it is possibly they just limited this function.

For me this is not the only thing I don‘t like about Apple CarPlay and Spotify.

It‘s 2018 and Apple CarPlay is not able to run song tags across the screen 🤣

Another issue: Why are you not able to search for a song or an Artist or at least search by Siri for it. Big miss.

Same with the Apple Maps: I find nowhere the option to enter a location manually. Only Siri is available and she is quite limited in interpreting where i wanna go. Always need to decouple the phone and do it manually on the app and save it to favorites. 

Bye Thomas

Unfortunately we do not know if it is the fault of Spotify as they have never had the courtesy to reply!

Yes, thats right. But everything becomes more and more complicated when it comes to software application and data transfer between the the big players. Everyone tries to save their business and market shares. 

For example I would rather like to use the Waze Navigation App with Spotify integration cause it is so much better to navigate and also comfortable as you don‘t need to quit the Apple Maps to skip a track on Spotify for example.

But unfortunately iOS11 crashed the whole AppRadio functionality owned by Pioneer. 

All their devices are useless for that purpose. And even Pioneer is not able to solve that problem since mid of September 2017 😕

Yep, same on my CarPlay System. Thougt it is maybe an issue between my Head Unit (Pioneer SPH-DA230Dab) and Apple CarPlay. 

But reading through all the posts it seems an issue ob the SpotifyPlayer and CarPlay. I have 1200 tracks. Spotify on the head unit is only showing 1-200 of them. 

Luckily the Pioneer Head Unit does not force my iPhone 6 with iOS11 into CarPlay mode. So I can access my spotify app/acount on the phone.

Thats how I managed to get all tracks synchroized: just tapping the last song within my song library on my iPhone. 

Tadaa... Apple CarPlay was then able to shuffle my whole library showing for example song 896 of 1200 in the upper left corner.

But this is not the way it should be. I assume that this is not a fault of Spotify. If you think about Apple and remember how restricted everything is handled with regards to third party software by their corporate philosopy it is possibly they just limited this function.

For me this ist not the only thing I don‘t like about Apple CarPlay and Spotify.

It‘s 2018 and Apple CarPlay is not able to run song tags across the screen 🤣

Another issue: Why are you not able to search for a song or an Artist or at least search by Siri for it? Big miss.

Bye Thomas

Apple Carplay is a waste of time. It’s far from a “Safe driving solution”.
I was excited when bought my car because of CarPlay feature, now I want a
solution to charge my phone with USB withou being forced to use Carplay.

fyi... there is an IDEA posted to that problem

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/CarPlay-Lift-CarPlay-200-song-limit/idi-p/1692629

Vote for it 😉

So i contated Spotify Support and had a chat with a guy who said this about the issue

“I see. Apologies for the inconvenience Lachy. Although, what I would suggests is to have the app reinstalled on your iPhone.

But as you mentioned, all of the songs in the Songs folder are playing using different methods. I'm afraid that since Apply develop their own Spotify app, they’re the ones who can provide you with the best possible support.”

So my next move is to contact Apple and see what they can do

I used to work for Apple. Ask them right away to speak with someone In development. You will get stuck in a endless loop of low tier support if you don’t.

So i have found out it is 100% Spotifys issue. My headunit has its own Spotify control program built into it which i only just found out. I go onto my head unit in the car and use Spotify via Bluetooth or USB and open this Spotify program on it, and I go into “Your Library > My songs” and same thing, only plays the same 200 songs out of all 1900 in my library that are played in CarPlay. It also for some reason puts them in order of recently added when on my iPhone its in Title order. So it shows the last 200 songs I saved into my library. So annoying. So now I need to go into my phone and start music before i plug into the USB or connect through bluetooth, otherwise i just get the last 200 songs I added on shuffle, and none of the rest of my library. Seriously such a stupid issue 

Suggested posts