Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Premium no streaming my music

Spotify Premium no streaming my music

So I just got Spotify Premium because I heard you can import your iTunes playlists into it. This excited me because my phone is literally out of space (I have about 15 pending app updates that I don't have space for lol). So the plan was to use Spotify to stream my music and free up all that space.

Well I imported the playlists, but when I got to them on my iPhone 5 Spotify app, literally every single song is grayed out. It tells me I need to sync them.

Well that defeats the entire purpose. Because then I would have to put them on my phone, and then there's literally no point to even having Spotify.

Did I miss a step or did I have the wrong idea about Spotify in general. What do I do?

Thanks,
Scott

32 Replies

Good idea, Peter! Thanks

Here's the link: http://pastebin.com/xujBe65a

bump?

Please, somebody help me! Just Spotify just not work? I don't want to cancel my subscription but that's where it looks like things are headed.

The attached file means nothing to me sadly, paging @Joe for help! 😛 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Sorry, @hickmanc - I've been busy lately but I did take a look at that xml. Ivy didn't return any tracks for me either so I hacked it about with a text editor and some regexp and here is the result in which Ivy matched about 100 tracks out of the original 196. If you follow the playlist, you can then select all the tracks and copy them into your own playlist.

Thank you so much!! It kind of sucks that it only matched about half of the songs, but I guess that's Spotify for you. Can you please tell me how you did it so I can convert my other playlists as well? Thank you @jwylot!

You're welcome. I just used a decent text editor with regexp to hack the xml into a list of "artist - track". I did notice that some of the unmatched songs exist in the spotify database but are tagged slightly differently so you can probably add these by hand.

I'm afraid I don't really know what regxp is. How do you access it? I have Word and Notepad++ on my machine. Do you think you could send me the file that you finally got to work so I can see what you're talking about? Thank you!!

• Export your playlist as a .txt file - this is easier to work with
  • In notepad++ you'll notice that each line starts with track name<tab>artist
  • So, all you need to do, is swap those first two fields and you may as well delete the remainder of each line.
  • Open the search/replace dialogue and make sure that "Wrap around" and "Regular Expression" are checked
  • Copy and paste this into the search box
([^\t]+)\t([^\t]+).*

•  And this into the replace with box
\2\t\1

•  Make sure your cursor is at the start of a line and hit the "replace all" button.

You now have a artist/track title list you can copy and paste into Ivy and you're well on the way to becoming a regular expressions expert 🙂

When I did that, it came back with something like this: 

Artist NameThe Jackson Five
ABCNice Peter
Abe Lincoln vs. Chuck NorrisNine Days
Absolutely (Story of a Girl)Counting Crows
Accidentally in LoveOrianthi
According to YouSimple Plan
AddictedDaft Punk
Aerodynamic (Daft Punk Remix)Mayuko Aoki
After TearsManami Kiyota
After the Rain, a StrollYUI
againHajime Wakai

The Jackson Five sings ABC, so shouldn't it be on the same line as that song?? I could just fix it, but that would take a considerable amount of time when you consider how many songs I have. Thanks!

Sorry about that - I guess it was time I updated my notepad++ anyway 🙂

Slightly amended search term: ([^\t]+)\t([^\t]+).*\r\n

Replace is now: \2\t\1\r\n

Let me know how that works for you.

Here is what that resulted in:

Name Artist Composer Album Grouping Genre Size Time DiscDisc Count Number
ABC TheAlphonso Mizell/Berry Gordy, Jr./Deke Richards/Freddie Perren Jackson Five
AbeNice Peter Lincoln vs. Chuck Norris
AbsolutelyNine Days (Story of a Girl)
AccidentallyCounting Crows in Love
AccordingOrianthi to You
Addicted SimpleJeff Stinco Plan
AerodynamicDaft Punk (Daft Punk Remix)
AfterMayuko Aoki Tears
AfterManami Kiyota the Rain, a Stroll
again YUI Fullmetal Alchemis: Brotherhood Final Best 8347360 255 7/15/20135/12/2013 9:41 PM 7:37 AM
AiHajime Wakai no Uta (French Version)
Ain'tMelissa Etheridge It Heavy
Ain'tCage the Elephant No Rest for the Wicked
Ain'tPatti Page No Sunshine/You Are My Sunshine
Ain'tSweet Brown Nobody Got Time for That (Autotune Remix)
AirplanesB.o.B (ft. Hayley Williams)
Albuquerque "Weird"Weird Al" Yankovic Al" Yankovic
Alejandro Lady Gaga The Fame Monster Pop 5176212 256 2009 8/4/20135/12/2013 9:35 PM 3:15 PM
Alice'sArlo Guthrie Restaurant Massacree

It looks like the track name and artist names got mixed together rather than switched??

From the first result you posted, it should work fine now. Please check that you are using version 6.4.5 of notepad++ and recheck that you are pasting in exactly what I posted above.

Suggested posts