Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Premium on my iphone won't play anything when my headphones are plugged in.??

Spotify Premium on my iphone won't play anything when my headphones are plugged in.??

Spotify won't play anything when I plug my headphones in. It just stopped working out of the blue. Why?
38 Replies

Does the built-in music app play through the headphones?

Yeah iTunes plays and other apps play sound. It's inky spotifu that wont. The song won't even play. Stats at 0:00

Are you saying that it plays through the internal speaker if you unplug your phones?

Yeah. But doesn't play at all when the headphones are in.

I don't use an iphone so I'm about out of ideas but @Peter__ is an expert on iOS and will be along shortly. I'm sure he'll know the answer 🙂

Ok thanks.

As summoned 😉 

What kind of headphones are they? Does it work if you use the standard iPhone headphones? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I've tried an aux cable into my car stereo and
My standard iphone 5s headphones.

That is very strange, if you start playing a track, then connect headphones does it work? (I know when you unplug headphones it auto pauses sometimes, so you might need to hit play again).

Peter

Peter

I have exactly the same problem! As soon I connect headphones (I tried 4 different ones including apples own) Spotify just pauses. When I unplug them it works again and music is streaming thru the iphone5 speakers. And there's no problem using headphones with a mic to talk regular on the phone. I have the latest update, tried to turn off the app, uninstall and then install etc.... getting me real pissed since now half of the reason to pay for a premium account is to use it via the phone..

@Gaz_fx wrote:
Spotify won't play anything when I plug my headphones in. It just stopped working out of the blue. Why?

@Lingotheswede - Just to confirm, you get no playback when?:

- You plug in headphones and toggle the play/pause button.

- Force close the Spotify application and start it with headphones plugged in.

Peter

Peter

iPhone 5 iOS 7.0.3
Spotify appV 0.9.0.8
app locks up when opened, freezes for a few seconds before allowing me to do anything, won't play offline playlists, won't stream. Saw comment above and pulled my headphones out, the track starts playing....Plug headphones in, back to frozen? This is like the 3rd time an update is released that causes more frustration than awe. C'mon guys, please fix this soon!!!!

Tried dragging placemarker-dot mid-track to see if that would break the silence, wouldn't play from a random spot in a track 😞

I have exactly the same config as jslasht regarding phone and Spotify version. My problem is exactly like he describes it. I can´t play offline lists, won´t stream... the play button is not there at all. I have no problems with the headphones and have tried with Urban Ears, Marshall Headphones, WeSC Headphones, iphones own (the ones that come with the iphone5). The weird thing is that as soon as you unplug them the music can play. I have no problem using the headphones for regular phonecalls so there´s no problem with the outlet on the phone.

Just really strange, yesterday evening all the sudden it worked just as it should, this morning it´s back to the same problem...

@Lingotheswede - could you post a screenshot of that screen that play button being missing? If anyone else has any, they'd be helpful too.

For everyone else, if you could let us know the following in this format that'd be helpful:

1. Version of Spotify.

2. Version of iOS.

3. Device type - iPhone 5S, iPhone 5, etc.

4. Make/model of headphones (and if it's happening with more than one set).

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

I am suddenly having the same issue. This was never an issue before.....here is what happens:

1. I open Spotify on my iPhone 5 with the headphones plugged in. (I've just been listening to a podcast, so headphones work just fine. 

2. I click on one of my playlists and it shows that it's playing.

3. No sound comes out.

4. I unplug my headphones and plug them back in.....suddenly it's working.

5. Then, song ends. It doesn't work again.

HELP. I am currently reinstalling the app and seeing if this fixes it. Nothing else changed on my phone either --- didn't install a new iOS. ??

I am experiencing the same thing suddenly.

iPhone 5. iOS 7.0.3
Spotify 9.0.8

Music plays on speaker. The second I plug in headphones ( I phone 5 headphones, 2 sets) the music does not play. This is a new phone and never had any issues until recently.

Anyone still having issues with the most recent version of the application?

Peter

Sorry for updating old post bit i have the same problem and i've had it since a week or two ago. I have iPhone 5. Newest update and newest update Spotify. When i put headphpnes Everything freezes and wont play.
Haris

Strange, does reinstalling the app make any difference? (You will need to resync offline playlists in doing this)

Which iPhone are you using and are they the standard iPhone headphones? 

Peter

Suggested posts