Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Premium on my iphone won't play anything when my headphones are plugged in.??

Spotify Premium on my iphone won't play anything when my headphones are plugged in.??

Spotify won't play anything when I plug my headphones in. It just stopped working out of the blue. Why?
38 Replies

I've reinstalled the app Three Times today hoping it Would work.
I've Tried Three headphpnes. Standard iPhone 5, koss and a-jays. Even Tried speekers. Sound works with youtube and so on.
It's an iPhone 5.

Does rebooting your device by holding the home and lock buttons together until the apple logo appears on screen make any difference? Which version of iOS are you using?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thanks for your help! The new update that was released today fixed it 🙂

Excellent - didn't even know there was an update going out today! 🙂

Peter

Still having the same problems even though it's a new 5s with all of the updates

@Erinkn Does it play through the speaker?

Yeah, exactly as others have said: it plays through the speakers, but when I plug headphones in, it stops and freezes for a second, unfreezes itself, but still doesn't play. The play/pause button works, but it stays at 0:00. Restarting the app doesn't work either. No difference with online/offline mode.

I have this problem too. iPhone 5s with the latest iOS and Spotify.

This problem needs to be solved already. Getting pathetic. There's been several updates since ios7, none of them adressing this issue. I refuse to reinstall the app again, and resync etc. Spotify on ios need to work with Apple headphones, why is this still a problem? Fix it.

The issue is, the number of reports of this issue are tiny compared to the number of users I would assume are using iOS 7 and iPhone 5S's.

I will bump my escalation on this to see if any progress has been made.

Peter

Ok. I guess I just assumed it was a common problem. Should have been less harsh then. (But it is the kind of issue that is very annoying because of its nature and the fact that you can't just restart the app to get it working again.)

If it helps you at all, restarting my phone fixed the problem for me.

Thanks, vortura, I appreciate it. Certainly beats uninstall/reinstall. I've actually created emergency playlists in itunes as a temporary solution when walking the dogs (they have less patience than me..). 

@armadillo Did restarting your phone help improve things at all? 

I haven't had the chance to try it! The day after the last incident it worked again, by itself. I have – unsuccessfully – tried to recreate the problem myself: start spotify unplugged and then plugging in, start plugged in, start – "play" – music within app, start with headphone control etc, having different apps open together with spotify etc... If I can find some kind of pattern, I will report it here.

And the app was updated today, I'm hoping this was one of the bugs crushed 😉

@Meredith @vortura So, the issue returned today. I had just finished a phone call, so the phone app was active but no other apps. I started spotify but it would not play with headphones plugged in – although visibly playing (and actually playing when headphones were unplugged.) Unusally, I received Error:2003329396 ("Playback has failed miserably...) which has never happened before. I restarted the phone as suggested and it worked fine. I did try to recreate the problem, used the phone app, plugged in, as I had earlier, but this time there was no problem. In short, restarting the phone is a great tip; the issue, though, remains an enigma. 

Yeah, I just got that same message - Error: 2003329396.  Pretty strange if you ask me!  Why would any app tell you that it "failed miserably?" 

Can someone at Spotify enlighten me as to why I'm getting this error message?  A reboot of my phone fixed the issue also, but still...

I'm having the same problem! Just got the same error message. Restarted my phone and now it works like its supposed to. Yesterday I used the phone app with my headset, and was having some trouble.. Not sure if this is a iPhone problem or a Spotify problem. Using a >14 days old 5s, updated with latest iOS.

Yes.  Re-installed. Totally ticked off.  I have a Samsung 8.  Works fine without headphones.  When plugged in(which I need in public), no sound.  My ipod is broken and I need music for my workout in the public gym, 😞

Suggested posts