Spotify and Apple Watch

Solved!

Spotify and Apple Watch

AnGaeL
Casual Listener

Hi,

Recent Apple Watch buyer, and obviously disappointed with the app serving as nothing more than a remote to the iPhone.

Well aware of the idea linked below. However not updated since November last year and I feel Spotify owes some kind of a response to Watch owners.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/iOS-Apple-Watch-Spotify-Streaming-and-Offline-Listening/...

So, reality is, these are two separate items. First is streaming to watch and use headphones, second is offline playback.

Spotify, your turn. What is the latest on this? There is nothing from Apple, holding you back on doing any of these, and you owe an update to device owners on whether you are really coming there that is better than ‘coming soon’ for well over 4 months. Pandora has these FYI, no reason you should not.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Solution!

Guido
Spotify Legend

Hey @AnGaeL.

Thanks for getting in touch!

We are always looking for ways to improve the app. We're also aware of the over 3000 votes that the Idea you linked has.

We can't say if or when certain features will be released, but if you'd like to see Offline playback for the Apple Watch, don't forget to vote for the Idea.

Sorry we can't say more for now. If you have further questions, let us know.

Have a nice day!

View solution in original post

Solution!

MattSuda
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Good news!

Spotify now supports downloads on Apple Watch. This will be rolling out over the next several weeks.

Check out this Spotify news article for more info:

Enjoy More Ways Than Ever to Use Spotify on Your Apple Watch—Now With Downloads 

MattSudaRock Star 24
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

87 Replies

ramborobinson
Regular
I much prefer Spotify’s playlists but other than that they are pretty
similar. Apple Music looks a bit slicker but that’s just personal
preference.

ErJButler
Regular

Other 2 months of the Daniel Ek laughing at us and our miniscule request.  He can't help it.  As a founder of a half-commited & lucky startup, he is desperately jealous of real companies like Apple.  He acts out his emotions by depriving his user base like a child would.  Typical 1%er behavior.  And here you and I are contributing to his $billions at the expense of artists.  Might as well vote a billionaire real estate mogul into the white house.  Oh wait 

toenni13
Regular

@kitenski wrote:

I just moved from a Garmin that had offline to AW5 and just assumed it would work!

Amazed to find it doesn't, I'll be trying the 3 month Apple Music trial and switching over my family sub if that's the only way for offline.

For others that have switched, how was it? Did you notice any pros and cons?

I don't think there are many pros or cons, the UI is different but not worse, it just needs a bit getting used to. Imo the playlists were a bit better over at Spotify but there are ways to transfer playlists from one platform to another. I switched as well and gotta say, its just great to being able to play music on the AW without my phone 🙂

stay05

Any updates after realeasing WatchOS 6?

R_Eliasson
Visitor

Also looking at Apple music now, always been using Spotify Premium but forced to look for new solutions.

Really bad from Spotify.

KeepItReal
Casual Listener

Spotify 

Please respond and outline the plan for offline support on the Apple Watch.

I love Spotify but this is a showstopper for me. Given this has been a hot topic for over 6 months, i have found it very frustrating that Spotify has failed to provide an adequate response. (I’m sure Spotify users understand the answer will be complicated but stating ‘watch this space’ for a year is not acceptable.)

The new Apple Watch will release in September. If you fail to respond by then I will have to cancel my subscriptions and move to Apple Music.

KeepItReal
Casual Listener

Congratulations Spotify you have just lost a family who passionately supported you for many years and wanted to continue but due to your lack of responses and action we are now moving to Apple Music where there are no restrictions with Apple devices. Very sad when a successful company doesn't listen. Nokia, Kodak, Blockbuster, Spotify - great companies destroyed by not listening to their customers.

NewHere83
Casual Listener
Something new with WatchOS6 and Spotify Streaming?

ErJButler
Regular

The only explanation I can see is that Spotify is just pure calculating cruelty.

They know Apple Music is absolute garbage.

They know my protest unsub to Spotify will be reversed likely within a week.

Why put forth the negligible effort it takes to tie into Apple Watch API when they can spend those nickels and dimes elsewhere.

Unless it's just a petty squabble with Apple.

Remember Rhapsody once seemed to think that they were invincible and didn't see a need to work on high demand feature requests.

edu2525
Visitor

I'm also a big fan of Spotify but if this doesn't get addressed soon I will have to switch. Spotify can't be lacking and staying behind on one of the most important devices for the future. It's not good for your company and not good for your users.

Get it together spotify team!

mattnager
Casual Listener

Sadly, I must agree. 

I'm a long time Spotify user and have been waiting, giving Spotify a chance since January when I bought this watch. If this simple and obvious update to the iWatch App to allow for offline music listening isn't addressed soon, I too will be forced to switch to Apple Music. 

I prefer Spotify...but this oversight is absurd. 

Whalenrs

spotify I have to leave you because I have this great watch and I cannot listen to Spotify on it with out carrying my phone.   I am not an Apple music fan but like every new technology that competes with the big boys, you can’t whine like a little baby and not be creative and give your users the ability to use your product on those devices that they purchase. You sound like a bunch of blue ribbon babies.  If you are going to cry why don’t you just stop developing for IOS and go to android platform.

Sick of waiting for Spotify to listen to the customers.

s77tas

Couldn’t agree more. This is easily the biggest feature that Spotify are missing right now and should be priority one.

Having to still take my iPhone out running and to the gym when I have my watch on my wrist 🙈

Solution!

Guido
Spotify Legend

Hey @AnGaeL.

Thanks for getting in touch!

We are always looking for ways to improve the app. We're also aware of the over 3000 votes that the Idea you linked has.

We can't say if or when certain features will be released, but if you'd like to see Offline playback for the Apple Watch, don't forget to vote for the Idea.

Sorry we can't say more for now. If you have further questions, let us know.

Have a nice day!

b_p_c
Casual Listener

Still waiting for this Spotify. Please get on with it and implement this. It's so important!

heikki9
Regular

You guys are barking up the wrong tree here. Please see https://timetoplayfair.com/ and send all the hate mail to Apple. They deserve it.

DesignByAdrian
Gig Goer

Apple allows other services to store offline content on Apple Watch since WatchOS 5.

This is Spotify who isn't interested in keeping smart-watch customers.

heikki9
Regular

@DesignByAdrian wrote:

Apple allows other services to store offline content on Apple Watch since WatchOS 5.

This is Spotify who isn't interested in keeping smart-watch customers.

Do you understand how ridiculous that sounds? Like company wouldn't want to sell more subscriptions or want to lose their customers. Yeah, you must be right. Or maybe.. just maybe there is another reason for all this. Open your eyes.

mattnager
Casual Listener

Problem is lack of transparency. Plain and simple. 

If there is a reason, tell us there is a reason. 

The frustration is there has been a complete lack of response. As in...none.

heikki9
Regular
I understand that. However, it is very clear what is the reason. And they have told it. You just need to listen. Timeline for example has a good view for the reason: https://timetoplayfair.com/timeline/

Probably they can't just say anything more here because it is a sensitive subject and company has forbade them to comment about it.

mercury666
Music Fan

So I've read through all that timetoplayfair timeline which is indeed very interesting, and infact, a pity.

However, looking at specifically the progress outlined, Spotify is working since September 2018 on offline / streaming abilities for Apple Watch: 

Apple finally allows enhanced functionality for the Spotify app on the Apple Watch

With Watch OS 5, Apple allowed the Spotify team to start developing offline functionality

So I'm still wondering why after more than a year there hasn't been any statement on this. 

I'm still pretty sure that they have it almost ready. Just waiting for another bigger update in the coming weeks like the Siri integration.

SUGGESTED POSTS