Spotify and Apple Watch

Solved!

Spotify and Apple Watch

AnGaeL
Casual Listener

Hi,

Recent Apple Watch buyer, and obviously disappointed with the app serving as nothing more than a remote to the iPhone.

Well aware of the idea linked below. However not updated since November last year and I feel Spotify owes some kind of a response to Watch owners.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/iOS-Apple-Watch-Spotify-Streaming-and-Offline-Listening/...

So, reality is, these are two separate items. First is streaming to watch and use headphones, second is offline playback.

Spotify, your turn. What is the latest on this? There is nothing from Apple, holding you back on doing any of these, and you owe an update to device owners on whether you are really coming there that is better than ‘coming soon’ for well over 4 months. Pandora has these FYI, no reason you should not.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Solution!

Guido
Spotify Legend

Hey @AnGaeL.

Thanks for getting in touch!

We are always looking for ways to improve the app. We're also aware of the over 3000 votes that the Idea you linked has.

We can't say if or when certain features will be released, but if you'd like to see Offline playback for the Apple Watch, don't forget to vote for the Idea.

Sorry we can't say more for now. If you have further questions, let us know.

Have a nice day!

View solution in original post

Solution!

MattSuda
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Good news!

Spotify now supports downloads on Apple Watch. This will be rolling out over the next several weeks.

Check out this Spotify news article for more info:

Enjoy More Ways Than Ever to Use Spotify on Your Apple Watch—Now With Downloads 

MattSudaRock Star 24
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

87 Replies
Solution!

MattSuda
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Good news!

Spotify now supports downloads on Apple Watch. This will be rolling out over the next several weeks.

Check out this Spotify news article for more info:

Enjoy More Ways Than Ever to Use Spotify on Your Apple Watch—Now With Downloads 

MattSudaRock Star 24

ArticMonkey

Such a pity. I have also been waiting for some time now and me and many I know here in Norway are in the process of switching to Apple Music. Pandora support it now. Come on Spotify. Apple Watches sell more than the total watch industry in Switzerland every year. You'll lose many customers in the next couple of years if you don't change strategy.

azanardi
Visitor
lame of you Spotzify. You make your paying customers suffer just because of some silly Samsung deals you did, and they wont work. Truly dissapointed.

Maglux
Visitor

No more waiting due to Spotifys unwillingness to adress this problem. (listening on apple watch)

Bye bye Spotify!

😞

Dudabrand
Regular

Ok, any news on the "offline" sync feature?

MattSuda
Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

Hey Dudabrand,

On a Spotify website dedicated to listing unfair Apple behavior, Spotify says they are working on offline functionality for their Apple Watch app.

The wording has been there for over a year so far so no promises if this feature will come. No release date mentioned.

https://timetoplayfair.com/timeline/

"September 2018

Apple finally allows enhanced functionality for the Spotify app on the Apple Watch

With Watch OS 5, Apple allowed the Spotify team to start developing offline functionality"

MattSudaRock Star 24

AppleG
Composer
Is this question a joke ? 😉 😉

johnpipi-hk
Casual Listener
Forking Ice hole bastages, somin batchin, mutha truckers. It's all about some agreement Spotify has with Apple to not release it then they can stay in business

toenni13
Regular

People... The ONLY reason why Spotify won't enable offline and streaming mode for the Apple Watch App is because they DON'T WANT TO. They could do it, Apple allows it and others have done it. (Browse the other "discussion" sites on this topic.) But they don't. Because they don't care about their customers. That's it. And before you wait for them to do something, let me save you some time: They won't (as they said themselves). So just switch to Apple Music or something else if you want to stream or download music to your Apple Watch. 

Gili1
Casual Listener

mercury666
Music Fan
Don’t think the Samsung partnership is the reason. Many people maybe do not buy an Apple Watch because Spotify is not working as expected and they are longtime Spotify users. If the feature would roll out both would benefit.

johnpipi-hk
Casual Listener

Come on Spotify get your **bleep**bleep** together!  Is it a technical issue where apple doesn't allow you to stream or you just don't care about your customers needs?

toenni13
Regular

@johnpipi-hk wrote:

Come on Spotify get your **bleep**bleep** together!  Is it a technical issue where apple doesn't allow you to stream or you just don't care about your customers needs?

They don't care. Apple did allow that for some time now but Spotify chooses to loose customers. (Apple Music is great as well btw 😉

Gili1
Casual Listener

Of course Spotify has the possibility to create an iPhone-independent app for the Apple Watch. It already existed with the Apollo App but Spotify themselves stopped it!40E2324D-2BDC-4C2C-A2FB-5FDFB1C6BD6B.jpeg

0E27F783-CBEB-4D03-A9F8-C5FB9122F91E.jpeg

th3_cr0w

Come on Spotify, so many people are waiting for this feature. Its pretty unsatisfying to not even get a response!

jdc123
I too am unsatisfied, and am leaving Spotify to subscribe to Apple Music so I can use my watch without the phone.

Melfyaus

Same.  We moved our family account on Spotify after years of support but no service such as offline songs on AW.  Goodbye Spotify

mercury666
Music Fan

Extremely disappointed. I just got my first Apple Watch 5, and would've never thought that offline playing isn't possible as I saw there was an official Spotify Watch app. I wanted to go running and listen to my Spotify music without my iPhone!

Now after digging around and realizing that this doesn't work I'm really considering to move to Apple Music - after years of being a Spotify Premium subscriber. This is so ridiculous. 

Spotify, any official comment? When will there be an app update to enable offline playing on Apple Watch?

mercury666
Music Fan

By the way, I was waiting the last week for an app update of Spotify, still hoping they would just roll out the feature.

Todax the update came - with new Siri support to the app. Unfortunately, still no changes to the Apple watch version so far 😞

I'm continuing to hope that it will come in the next weeks - until then the free Apple Music trial started. But tbh, I want to stay with Spotify if this missing feature is added. It's much better with all the personalization.

kitenski

I just moved from a Garmin that had offline to AW5 and just assumed it would work!

Amazed to find it doesn't, I'll be trying the 3 month Apple Music trial and switching over my family sub if that's the only way for offline.

For others that have switched, how was it? Did you notice any pros and cons?

SUGGESTED POSTS