Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify app locks up everytime it is used.

Spotify app locks up everytime it is used.

I've been having an issue with the Spotify App freezing up and becoming unresponsive after a few minutes of use. I am using an Iphone 6 with iOS 10 currently but I have had the same issue with the last three versions of iOS. I also always allow the app to stay up to date through auto updates, currently on 6.5.0.1665. The phone currently has 22 GB free space.

I have tried reinstalling the app, restarting my phone, killing the app and restarting it, nothing seems to work. There seems to be no difference whether im on wifi or cellular. Also no difference if im streaming or playing local music stored on the phone.

Im at a loss and getting pretty frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

10 Replies

I would have to assume it's either a phone problem or a problem with iOS itself. Cause that issue never happens with my friend's iPhone 7 Plus. Perhaps your phone is starting to show its age, lol.

No offense but your friend has had their phone for a week, the spotify app has been on iphones since well before my iphone 6 was available. Additionally I havent seen any restrictions noted in the app store for poor performance on older phones. I also have the same issue on my current generation ipad as well as my wifes iphone 6( granted its the same vintage as my phone). I suspect something else is going on, I hope there is a resolution. 

@slowhatch1 wrote:

No offense but your friend has had their phone for a week, the spotify app has been on iphones since well before my iphone 6 was available. Additionally I havent seen any restrictions noted in the app store for poor performance on older phones. I also have the same issue on my current generation ipad as well as my wifes iphone 6( granted its the same vintage as my phone). I suspect something else is going on, I hope there is a resolution. 

Yes, I know. Spotify has been available on iOS since 2012 or something along those lines. I'm not sure what I can suggest to help you fix the issue other than just possibly asking a friend who has a newer iPhone (say the iPhone 6s or Plus), and see if that issue still occurs on those two models.

Hi ....I have been having what may be a similar problem ...just all of the sudden recently. I have two Toyotas and an iPhone 6. I use Spotify and both of them connecting to the Toyota Entune system. Just recently driving on a road trip I noticed that the Bluetooth seem to be blanking in and out and the stream was freezing up.
I was experimenting about what might be causing it. Turn the Bluetooth on and off. Turned the program on and off. Restarted the phone. No solution.
I turned off Spotify and put on a YouTube video (and again this is in the car and on LTE) and it streamed flawlessly. So it's not the Bluetooth. The screen on my Toyota display seemed to be blanking in and out when Spotify was acting up which would make you think that the Bluetooth signal was bad.
I too dumped the program and then reloaded it and still have the same problem.
I have not been able to try it on my other Toyota yet. But I really doubt it's the car.
So while I'm not solving your problem, I am commiserating with you and looking for some help!
And just FYI to one of your other responses ....it has worked fine for months up until now. So I don't see what it has to do with an iPhone 6 or 7 or whatever. And I have not had an update on my phone recently in between when it was working and now that it isn't. Thanks

OK so all my other programs work with Bluetooth in the car. Pandora works. YouTube works. So it's not my car and is not my phone..... it must be Spotify's having a hard time with the stream.

Same story here, no issues with any other service, streaming or not. It's most definitely the app. It even has trouble playing the local music that I have saved to my phone. 

I've had the same issue. The spoify app freezes since I upgraged to iOS 10

I am having the exact same problem with my 2016 Toyota Highlander.  The blinking and and pausing after playing for 15-30 seconds.  It has been playing flawlessly for months up until the recent IOS update to version 6.5.01665.  I am still running IOS version 9.3.5.  When bluetooth streming spotify to another device there is not problems only with the Toyota Entune system.  

So, I upgrade my phone to an iPhone 7(not because of this issue) and I am having the exact same issue. I also now have a Samsung galaxy s7 through work. It does the same thing. All of my devices have the issues whether on wifi or cellular. The issue seems to almost always happen while skipping through stored music(I have about 150 songs stored locally from Spotify). I feel like it's the app and the way it handles this type of activity. Never have any issues what so ever with the Apple Music app, I have about 2000 songs locally and access the rest of my library(42,000 song). If the hardware were an issue i suspect this would be more taxing. Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an update that resolves this issue. 

I've got the exact same problem on my iPhone 6s Plus and iPad Air since upgrading to iOS 10. None of the usual tricks have worked. On my friends' iPhones everything works perfectly.
I'm getting really frustrated. I'm paying for a service that is unusable right now.

Suggested posts