Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify changing songs by itself

Spotify changing songs by itself

Having a really annoying issue where songs I am actively listening to randomly change to other songs. These songs aren’t even songs in que or saved in my library, they are random songs in random playlists I never listen to. I’ve already deleted and reinstalled the app, and turned my phone on and off. So annoying! Anyone have a solution to this?? 

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone XR 

39 Replies

another thing happening is that the songs play exactly for 2 seconds and go to the next song and do that same thing! after about 5 songs it plays for 9 seconds stops audio and says its still playing. man i do like spotify but if this is the stuff thats gonna happen then why bother!

i've made new accounts/deleted the app and basically everything the spotify customer service told me to do!

i made a screen recording of it.

here's the link:  

https://youtu.be/v7bgwQRLrLQ

Hey there @liboy1,

Thanks for your reply.

Would you mind telling us the exact version of your Spotify App and the OS on your computer?

Also, you've mentioned that you've created a new account, does the same happen on it across devices  as well?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. Thanks.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

The exact same as liboy1 is happening to me! Song changes and the sound gets muted but the song still plays.
I've read all the answers and suggested solutions but nothing is working.
For me it only happens on my Chrome Web Spotify. I'm have Windows 10 pro and Chrome version is Version 87.0.4280.141 (Official Build) (64-bit).

I too am starting to think about cancelling my plan and changing to Youtube music or whatever. I've been with Google Music for three years and nothing like that happened.

Hey @CaptainCracker,

Thank you for your post here in the Community. We're sorry to hear about this.

Can you see if you have the same experience if you use a incognito/private window?

It would also be great if you can log in with another account - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persist?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I also have this issue. I use the native desktop app on latest macOS.

When I play my songs within a playlist, it suddenly get stopped and another track (an unknown which I haven't played so far) is shown.

I observe this behaviour since last week of March 2021

Hey @bzero,

Thanks for reaching out.

Could you please list the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far from the previous posts? That way we can avoid suggesting something that you may have already done.

Keep us posted.

Mihail Moderator

I am using the native Desktop App

macOS 10.14.6 

Spotify Version 1.1.56.595.g2d2da0de

There is no trouble shoot guide for the desktop app.

Hey @bzero,

Thanks for posting.

It's a good idea to go ahead and secure your account using the instructions in this Support Page. Don't forget to change the password for any service associated with your account, such as your email address, Facebook, or Apple.

We recommend that you also have a look at all third party apps that have access to your Spotify account and remove any you don't recognize. You can learn how to do this here.  For the other ones you should update the login info as well.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted how it goes.

Mihail Moderator

• Obviously this issue has been made aware to spotify but we keep receiving the same response. It's not frustrating that the issue happened, its frustrating that the issue hasn't been properly addressed or resolved. Please LOOK INTO IT!! I've been a spotify supporter since 2011 and while I do have issues with other things that have changed throught the years, this one has been the most aggravating. 

I am having the same issue, I already did all the troubleshooting steps and it is not working.  It is not fair that you are very prompt to charge my credit card but you are unable to fix this issue.  I have tried to listen to music on an Apple Computer, on an iPhone and on an Android device and I am unable to use my account.

I came across here because I got the same problem. And solution which I found is similar to:
> Did you try restart your PC?

Dear Spotify if you don't know how to solve this issue there's no problem! I decide with my wallet and I we never pay again for**bleep** again.
In Chrome (I done your solution with DRM) I never played one second of track from Spotify.
In FIrefox I used few months ago and today I can't. Your app switch tracks one by one, and after few switches play 5-10 seconds of random track and that's all!

Enough.
Will go to your competitors if you don't want my money.

When Spotify is playing, but the interface is not on the screen of my Iphone, as soon as I doubleclick my home button to be able to switch between already opened applications, when I choose Spotify, it changes the song that’s currently playing.

The songs Spotify switches to are not at all in my history, playlists etc. But do happen to be by bands that are programmed in a Dutch poppodium which I happened to be checking simultaniously on Safari!

Coincidence? I guess not. Annoying? Very much!!!

Best, Mark

Oh yeah, this is the site I was referring to:

https://www.vera-groningen.nl

Hey @Mark151,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

If you haven't tried before, we'd recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app. This is often an overlooked step, but it’s more thorough than a regular one and can be helpful to get rid of any cache that might be causing trouble. 

However, the tracks shouldn't be changing by itself when selecting the app from the background. To make sure it’s not an "unauthorized login" it's better to secure your account and revoke any unrecognized 3rd party access with the steps of this article.

Hope this helps. If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to ask. 

OscarDCModerator

How I resolved the issue with the web player on Ubuntu with Chrome:

1. Open spotify web player in firefox
  2. Open spotify web player in chrome at the same time
  3. play songs through firefox for a bit (1-2)
  4. close firefox and use chrome

From that point on I had no problems.

I've got the same issue since I downloaded Spotify onto a new phone. It's giving me the shits! Nothing works to fix it. Even upgraded to Premium, exactly the same. It**bleep**!!

Hi there @

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Sorry to hear the app has been acting up like that. Can you let us know exactly what issues you're experiencing with the app and what troubleshooting have you already tried?

Also, is the song switching happening only on your new phone or on other devices. like your PC as well?

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator

This has been happening to me intermittently. When trying to play from my Google Home devices it will switch from my music to music I don't even recognize. When playing from my phone it will say I'm connected to my car and continuously change the song mid way through. Absolutely infuriating. The plan is not exactly cheap so I expect the service to work without constant interruption. The odd glitch is not big deal but frequent incessant glitches is unacceptable... Tried the uninstall, rebooting etc...  Now I am getting an unexpected error on the website when I try to post my feedback.... had to copy paste this message into a new browser.

Hey there @calvotix

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community. 

We're sorry to know that you've been experiencing this. 

To make sure no one else is using your account, we suggest that you head over to your Account page > scroll down > Sign out everywhere. This will log you out of the app on all devices. Also, since you mentioned this happens on external devices too, head here to remove the access of those.

Let us know how it goes.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Just remove all history / catches / cookies etc. from your browser if you use the internet browser on your PC/Laptop. Then, log out and log in back again. It helped in my  case. 

Suggested posts