Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify connect disconnects when switching in and out of app

Spotify connect disconnects when switching in and out of app

I've noticed a new behaviour with v 7.6 of the IOS app. I use connect to play through an Onkyo amp, but the connection is lost whenever I switch back to the app after either locking or using something else. The connection is fine while locked or in the other app, but is lost almost every time I switch back into Spotify. The amp then has to be reselected from the devices list. This happens on both my phone and iPad. I have another phone running v 6.5 of the app which Is working fine.
51 Replies

I connect to a marantz receiver via iPhone and have the same problem as of recently. If I switch out of Spotify then open it from background it disconnects from the marantz device and stops playing. It's really annoying. I also find it does this when within Spotify I open the device menu through settings. In addition I have this problem on my MacBook Pro.

The problem looks to be just an issue when connecting to the amp as I have found a workaround. I have an android TV so I downloaded Spotify onto that. This plays through the amp over HDMI and I can use Spotify connect on the iPad to connect to the TV. It doesn't keep disconnecting if I use it this way.

I have the same Problem on both Android and ios. It is definitely the onkyo, Because it doesn't happen on other devices.

I have the exact same problem with my Android Spotify app and my Onkyo TX-RZ800.

I can see the receiver. I can connect to it and it starts playing, but then it immediately cuts out. Sometimes it works, usually it doesn't. If it does work, whenever I go back into the app, it disconnects.

I have the same problem with the mobile iOS app on my iPad mini.

I NEVER have a problem when using my Win10 computer as the controller. All of them are using Spotify Connect, but ONLY the mobile apps cause the problem. If I try to access Spotify with my mobile devices after initially connecting with the computer, it disconnects.

It has been like this through many iterations of Onkyo firmware and Spotify versions. It has never worked right from the day I bought the receiver.

Since windows works properly, I think it MUST be the mobile architecture causing the problem.

Spotify team, please fix this. If you need any diagnostic info, please let us know!

I have the same problem using my iPhone or my Macbook Pro and my Onkyo Receiver. At least for me it is not only limited to mobile devices. I'm not completely sure about it but i think i first noticed the issue when i bought my new Macbook in december 2016. 

Are there already any fixes to this issue?

Something seemed to change this weekend, but I'm not sure. It was still a
spotty connection, but far better.

I think the PC version might be unique. The mobile and Mac versions seem to
have the same problems.

Also, grab the Onkyo remote app if your receiver supports it. Use it to activate Spotify. This bypasses the Spotify problem for playback and skip control.

But when you enter the Spotify app again to select a different set of music, it disconnects. Then you can use the Onkyo remote again.

Also happens to me since a few months 😥

Onkyo TX-NR626
Oneplus 3T

Only in the moment of reopening spotify

Same problem here. It seems as if the latest Spotify update had solved the issue, but it came back after a few days.

That's exactly what happened to me.

They same to me, Marantz AVR SR-6009 and Android OnePlus3, I can't even rotate the phone and the Connect(ion) is lost.

This is a real pain in the A..

I too am experiencing this issue. It's really annoying. It only happens when I'm switching into the app or if I bring up the song - then it just disconnects and stops playing. This only happens when connected to the Denon, not if I connect to my TV.

I'm on a Huawei Nexus 6P connected to a Denon Ceol Piccolo.

I've been having this issue for awhile now, and have tried so many things. It was working fine, then one day my music just starts skipping, I noticed my connection to my reciever was connecting and disconnecting every second or third song. I have gone through years and years of posts on the net, and still this issue is brought up. But hasn't had an ultimate fix. Just messing around with settings and programs when in reality the customer shouldn't be having to do all these extra steps to make an app work when they pay for it every single month. Has there been any news or updates on this issue? I have run out of ideas.

Same here when using Spotify Connect to my Denton Ceol Piccolo, both from my iPad and android phone. Sometimes will stop between songs too. Very annoying

Same issue here as well. The Onkyo 838 using the mobile app and spotify app. As soon as you exit the spotify app and go back into it the connection drops the device currently playing.
Huge problem needs to be identified and fixed asap.

Experiencing this issue as well with iOS and an Onkyo TX-626. Super annoying having to reconnect many times during a listening session.

Same here. Denon amp vs. Nexus 6P & Huawei Ascend Mate. Both phones produce the same issue, so it can't be the phone. Not suspecting the amp either, since it is working fine until I open the Spotify app on the phone. So I guess it comes down to the SW (especially because a couple months ago it worked fine with the same hardwares:)
One additional problem on my end is that I can't always reconnect after the connection drop. Have to attempt a few times (plays a couple seconds on the amp and drops again), so it's extra annoying ;[

Same here with my Samsung Galaxy S6 running Android 7.0 with my Denon Ceol N9. 

This problem seems to plague many of us, I'm sure there's more people our there who need a fix too. I've been bothered with this issue for months, and I searched the web and found nothing about it at the time. Was happy to see this post, because maybe we can get a fix from onkyo of we all ask. I was beginning to think it was a network problem with my setup.

Let's all email onkyo and lead them to this post. I'm on it now..

Suggested posts