Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify connect disconnects when switching in and out of app

Spotify connect disconnects when switching in and out of app

I've noticed a new behaviour with v 7.6 of the IOS app. I use connect to play through an Onkyo amp, but the connection is lost whenever I switch back to the app after either locking or using something else. The connection is fine while locked or in the other app, but is lost almost every time I switch back into Spotify. The amp then has to be reselected from the devices list. This happens on both my phone and iPad. I have another phone running v 6.5 of the app which Is working fine.
51 Replies

I'm having the same problem with my pioneer n50a. Infuriating since it's such an expensive device and doesn't seem to get firmware updates anymore. Hopefully Spotify listen to these issues. I'll try your 'log out of everywhere' approach later this week AlibabaUK, hopefully does the trick. Thanks

You'd also need to change your Spotify password then log out everywhere. This will then prevent system logging back on using old password.

Unfortunately has not worked for me. Hopefully spotify are listening to HiFi users. I will finally try opening the correct ports on my router but doubt it will work as many people have said an update has caused this at the same time

I've resolved by changing password then signing out of everywhere from account section. I'm not having this issue any longer when using Onkyo. Yes the issue was introduced in last update. 

This issue persists I am using a Galaxy S8 version 8.4.17.640

I already migrated my Facebook account 6 months ago and have never had this problem until recently, after using echo over Bluetooth for several months  I correlates with echo for my case, but some users claim they do not have echo.

Hi, no issues using echo. I had similar issue where I logged out of all devices then changed password. That stopped the problem. I use Echo Dot, Onkyo receiver via both connect and Bluetooth no issues.

Absolutely issue with echo. I can now reproduce at will. 

Initially works fine with iPhone and Android tablet. Can shut down app while playing over Onkyo. Then launch app and music continues to play. 

Now go go to Alexa app settings and link Spotify to echo. Then click open Spotify app from that Alexa setting page that I just used to do the linking from. This then launches the Spotify app. The music then stops playing and I have to reconnect to the Onkyo and press play. From now on every time I leave Spotify and re enter Spotify app the music stops and I have to reconnect and press play again. 

If if I go back into the Alexa settings and unlink Spotify from Alexa the problem goes away.  I just tried these steps three times in a row and it is reproducible. 

I had the same thoughts a while ago and it seems to solve the problem for me as well while some other people stated that they didn't have any echo devices but also experienced the interruptions.

Still not sure who to blame for not be willing/capable of solving this problem for over a year: Amazon or Spotify.

This issue is getting infuriating as it's so hit and miss. Using Spotify Connect with Onkyo TX-NR676. Start playing music, phone does natural lock or leave app to check something. Go back to Spotify App and music stops.  I have to reselect the receiver to get music to play.

I've noticed sometimes the receiver WiFi gets messed up so I have to practically reboot the receiver to get Spotify to re-recognize everything. I'm not sure if this is Onkyo or Spotify issue but I'm tempted to try another music service and if it works better I would be thinking of switching.  I normally LOVE Spotify Connect but I need the ability to play through the receiver reliably to my outdoor speakers. 

Yes same here - still getting Spotify disconnected when moving in between the apps.

I removed my Amazon Echo from my WiFi two months ago and never had the issue again.

Suggested posts