Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify crashing on iPhone 5 when playing offline

Solved!

Spotify crashing on iPhone 5 when playing offline

I have used Spotify premium for a few months and it has been working well on my iPhone 5.  In the past week or so it has started crashing mid-way through an album.  It seems to be doing this consistently when playing any album, but only whenin offline mode.

I've tried re-installing and that did not solve the problem unfortunately.

Any ideas, or is this a bug?

Thanks.

Stephen Nash

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@user-removed So I presumed you have also went to the offline devices settings:
https://www.spotify.com/sg-en/account/offline-devices/?_ga=1.212200732.960391241.1404140606

and clear all your devices? Because that also wipes the cache from the system too.
Meet Jeremy! | Day Entrepreneur, Night, Music Fanatic
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

@stephen_nash Not that we have noticed:

Pertaining your issue, that seems like it shouldn't happen given what you’ve described (I've tried on my end and it works perfectly fine), I guess your music cache is corrupted, kindly do a clean reinstallation following the steps below:

Click into your Spotify App -> Logout from Spotify (Spotify app Settings -> Logout) -> [If you are on premium and have songs that are on available offline, click here: https://www.spotify.com/sg-en/account/offline-devices/ and remove all devices -> Go to iPhone Settings, General, Usage and Delete the app -> Go to App Store and download the Spotify app again.
I'm here to shuffle!

• Write what matters in your heart to others, you never know whether you have another chance again.

Hi,

I was about to create a post on the same subject.

Mine started crashing on iPhone 5 the day the equalizer update installed. Last week Wednesday.

The app crashes when playing offline and then I struggle to get back into it. It just won't launch.

Restarting the phone sometimes helps.

I did follow the spotify instructions to delete and reinstall the app (by clearing cache first and restarting phone). It is now slightly better but not much better.

I have about 50 playlists. Since I have reinstalled about 5 of them are offline.

hope you guys can help. I need to play music offline for work (fitness instructor) and am getting desperate.

thanks 🙂

Just wondering if anyone has a solution for this. It happened to one of my fitness instructors yesterday as well on an iPhone 5. Spotify froze on trying to launch the app. In her case a hard reset helped. This is definitely an ongoing problem

@user-removed I get that problem on occasion too, can you try to double tap home and clear all of the running apps, because all of the apps is fighting for memory on the device and Apple's internal task killer will just kill those apps thats using more memory than usual.
I'm here to shuffle!

@jeremygoh That is always the first thing I do when it crashes. I usually make sure nothing else is open when launching Spotify in the hope that it helps. The app still crashes though 😞

Marked as solution

@user-removed So I presumed you have also went to the offline devices settings:
https://www.spotify.com/sg-en/account/offline-devices/?_ga=1.212200732.960391241.1404140606

and clear all your devices? Because that also wipes the cache from the system too.
I'm here to shuffle!

@jeremygoh I followed the Spotify troubleshooting guidelines which had me clear Safari cache on my phone, delete and reinstall spotify and restart. Tried it your way yesterday and it didn't crash this morning. Fingers crossed. I'll come back in a couple days and marked it as resolved if it stays ok.

@jeremygoh so after I accepted the solution the app crashed again.

I removed all offline devices

I deleted the app from my phone

I cleared the cache in safari

I restarted my phone

I reinstalled the app

I made one playlist only offline so that I could play it in class last night

It crashed one minute into the warm up

any new on this, i am having the same problem, I have a premium account and the app is buggy, can someone please advise on a solution?

no-one got back to me after the last message I posted. Nothing fixes the problem that I can tell. It still happens. Just try and avoid using it offline and hope your internet connection is stable if you happen to be needing the music for work like i do.

@albasharu wrote:

any new on this, i am having the same problem, I have a premium account and the app is buggy, can someone please advise on a solution?

Suggested posts