Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify does not resume after Google Maps navigation guidance

Plan

Free

Country

United States

Device

iPhone X

Operating System

iOS 13.6.1, Google Maps 5.50.2, Spotify 8.5.70.950

My Question or Issue

I have Google Maps and Spotify connected, to listen to podcasts while driving. While navigating, Spotify controls appear at the bottom of the Google Maps screen and work as intended. However, during the first voice navigation guidance, Spotify is paused, then resumes, but the music playback controls downgrade to a “Continue playing” button instead. After the second voice navigation guidance, Spotify stops and does not resume, while the controls remain "Continue playing". I have to physically hit "Continue playing" to resume the podcast, which is unsafe and not ideal.

1. The Spotify controls should not downgrade to "Continue playing" after the first voice navigation guidance.

2. Spotify should automatically resume playing the podcast after the second voice navigation guidance.

For some inexplicable reason, this does not happen with Apple's Podcast app, which auto-resumes after every voice navigation guidance.

Hey folks,

Thank you for reporting this issue to us.

We just wanted to let you know that the right folks are looking into this.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest version.

In the meantime, as a workaround, we'd suggest that users do the following when playing podcasts:

1. Disconnect from Google Maps
  2. Start playback natively from the app
  3. Enable Car mode from the app's settings

Thanks again!

Comments
YulTheWizard
You should post this on the ideas page so they can add it.
YulTheWizard
Here is a link to the post you made: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/iOS-Spotify-does-not-resume-after-Google-Maps-navi...
(btw, you should post this as a solution so others don't have to solve it again)
Frogular
Thanks for the tip. Done.
anisankruth

Now that Spotify is heavily investing in podcasts, can you please bring my favourite feature on every dedicated podcast app - Pause for interruptions? 

I usually listen to podcasts when I'm driving - long drives or commutes- and I'm usually using a GPS navigation app. 

Spotify lowers the volume of the app whenever Google Maps or Waze is talking, which works fine for songs but not ideal for podcasts.

Especially long turn by turn instructions end up masking important sections in the podcast, and it makes it dangerous to fidget around the phone to go back and listen to what you missed. 

Frogular
I was advised to use this help section instead of the ideas page. Hence, I have marked this topic as unsolved.
YulTheWizard
ok
Frogular

This issue has not been resolved in the latest software versions - iOS 13.6.1, Google Maps 5.50.2, Spotify 8.5.70.950.

(I have updated the original post to reflect the latest version numbers.)

ritmatter

I have the same problem on iPhone, super frustrating 

Xenia

Hey there folks,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community!

If you haven't already, could you try a clean reinstall of the app as well as making sure that both apps and your device are fully up-to-date.

We'd also recommend re-connecting Spotify and Google Maps following the steps here.

In case the issue persists, it'd be great if you could clarify whether this only happens when listening to podcasts and send over a screen recording or some screenshots so we can see what's happening on your end.

Keep us posted - We'll be on the lookout for your replies 🙂

Frogular

I tried Spotify again - did a clean reinstall and re-connected using the links you provided, and it's still happening. Software versions are now iPhone X with iOS 14.1, Google Maps 5.55.3, Spotify 8.5.81.1110

This only happens when listening to podcasts. There is no problem when listening to music.

The problem still happens exactly as originally described. The first screenshot shows the controls working when I first start. The second screenshot shows the music playback controls downgrading to a "Continue playing" button after the first voice guidance comes on.

Thanks!

IMG_2697.PNG
IMG_2698.PNG