Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify draining battery extremally fast

Spotify draining battery extremally fast

Plan

Premium

Country

Poland

Device

iPhone Xs

Operating System

iOS 12

Recently i switched from my iPhone 8 to the Xs and after i started using spotify i realised it could drain more than 20% over around 30-40 min of listening 😢 which unfortunatelly makes the app unusable. I really need help since ive been using Spotify forever and im not willing to switch to Apple Music

40 Replies

Same here. Been happening for the past month. My phone overheats and battery starts draining. I think it only happens when i’m offline

Hi @ninashasha

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Could you let us know which troubleshooting steps you've already tried? 

On another note, we suggest that you make sure the OS of your device is up-to-date. It's also well worth trying it with a different connection to check if it makes the difference.    

Additionally, could you confirm that your phone's battery saving options are disabled?   

Lastly, sending us the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your device would come in handy. 

Keep us in the loop!

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I’m on ios 14.3 Iphone 11

i’ve reset my phone, deleted the app and redownloaded but nothing has changed.

It happens when i’m on offline mode

Hey @ninashasha

Thanks for your quick reply 🙂 

You mentioned that you've already reinstalled the app, but would you mind going through the steps of a clean reinstall, as it's more thorough than a normal one?

We'd also advise ensuring the Download Using Cellular option is disabled within Spotify (Settings > Streaming Quality > Download Using Cellular) and that WiFi assist is disabled (iOS Settings > Mobile Data > scroll all the way down > toggle off WiFi Assist).

On another note, can you let us know if the app has also been crashing?

Let us know how it goes!

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

i’ll try the clean reinstall now. and those settings are disabled anyway

also i was experiencing crashing about 2 months ago but hasn’t happened since

I have an iPhone 12 newest software 14.3

newest Spotify version 8.6.6.1099 

My battery is literally drained as fast as Usain Bolt, when I don't run spotify

i have made an full out delete of the app and reinstalled, removed cache, turn of the wifi help off (which I btw don't understand, as it seems as a good thing that my mobile connection help when bad wifi occurs). I have followed the entire thread, and nothing works. that's include turning background activity update ect OFF. 

i DO have my iPhone in "plane"/offline mode most of the time, but how does this fact change anything with battery draining. If any I would think it would reduce the battery.
Will it help if I downloaded all my playlists down? 
I hope you fix this HUGE problem VERY soon as it is horrible by such a large company to deliver SUCH a bad performance on a app, we pay for each month!! 

i have the same issue. ios 14.5 with the latest Spotify app. my iPhone 11 Pro gets boiling hot and
the battery is draining. Spotify has a 3-5 hours background activity even when i'm not using it. i also disabled the background refresh and it dosen't help at all. thinking about switching to other platform, because i don't want to charge my phone 24/7...

Hi folks,

Thank you for your replies in this thread.

It would be great if you can let us know the following:

• Do you have the Offline Mode turned on in the app or did you just switch to airplane mode in the phone settings?
  • How many songs/playlists do you have downloaded, if any at all?
  • How much free storage do you have on your device?
  • Try switching off 'Spotify Connect in background' in the app settings - does it make a difference?
  • Can you also let us know your OS and which version of the app you have?
  • Some screenshots of the battery usage would also be nice

We'll keep an eye out for your replies.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Pretty troublesome that this have been an issue for two years by now. To me this indicates that Spotify isnt caring for their customers.

I have the same story to tell here. Battery goes from 100% to 0% in 3-4 hours when playing on a sonos device.

I am using an iphone Xs running ios 14.5.1

Spotify version 8.6.28.690

Heres the images documenting this crazy behaviour. As you limit the number of images, you have to take my word for my battery is running at max capacity.

Tried all the suggestions in this thread

IMG-5678.PNG
IMG-5679.PNG
IMG-5677.PNG

Hey @pkras,

Thanks for reaching out. We're sorry to hear that you're still experiencing this issue.

Can you let us know if this only happens when you're playing Spotify on a Sonos device? If so, does it happen when using Bluetooth, Connect, or both?

It'd also be helpful if you could try using a different speaker to see how it goes.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

I have the same problem with iPhone SE 2020 (iOS 14.5). I very recently switched from Android and there Spotify rarely used more than 15% of my battery. Now it is unbearable. Spotify uses most of my battery (34% in the last 10 days). This is despite me avoiding listening on my phone as much as possible because of the battery drain. Here is a screenshot from today, where I maybe listened for 1h on my phone. I once even tested how this holds up in airplane mode, and it still drains the battery. No other app remotely does this. I tried EVERYTHING in this or any other threads, nothing helps. 

Is there any serious effort from Spotify's side to resolve this? It seems like you are pretty clueless about this issue?

Spotify is one of my favorite services, but needing to charge my (new!) phone twice a day with moderate use is simply unacceptable. If this issue remains, I will be forced to switch to Apple Music (which I don't like, but you leave me no other option).

IMG_0147.PNG
IMG_0148.PNG
IMG_0149.PNG

Hey @batterydrain100,

Thanks for reaching out.

Could you let us know if that happens when your phone is connected to another device (a speaker, headphones, etc.) via Bluetooth or Connect, if it happens when just using your phone, or in both cases?

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

It happens in both cases. I suspect that the effect is more pronounced when actually listening on my iPhone, but I'm not sure about that.

Hey @batterydrain100,

Thanks for all that info.

We've passed it on to the teams in charge for further investigation. We'll let you know as soon as we have an update.

We'll be right here in case you have any questions.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

This is an unfortunate window into Spotify customer "support" on line.  Good luck to all.

Hi Jeremy,

Hope these responses help out in resolving this issue:

• Do you have the Offline Mode turned on in the app or did you just switch to airplane mode in the phone settings? - When I keep my app online, the battery drain and phone heating issue is massive. I update my playlists and then move Spotify to offline mode. This also means I have no access to Lyrics or any other feature that requires an active internet connection
  • How many songs/playlists do you have downloaded, if any at all? - I have 6-7 playlists and 1560 approx. songs downloaded.
  • How much free storage do you have on your device? - I have the iPhone 12 with 128GB of space. Even with all the songs download, I have around 100 GB or more space.
  • Try switching off 'Spotify Connect in background' in the app settings - does it make a difference? - I have Background App refresh disabled at all times.
  • Can you also let us know your OS and which version of the app you have? - iOS 14.6

I have massive battery drain and phone heating issues. I tried to delete the app completely and do a fresh install but the problem continues. I usually listen to music while driving or on my Sony WF 1000 earbuds.

Hi there @user-removed,

Thanks for reaching out and for all that info.

Could you let us know the Spotify version you're running? We'd also like to know when this started happening and if it was after a specific event, such as an app or iOS update.

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

Hi @CarlosE

I am on the 8.6.40.1248 updated version. I haven't kept track on when this issue started. I guess someone else in the community can help with that info.

Hi there @user-removed,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

It would be great if you can provide us screenshots of battery usage for the Spotify app, and a screenshot of the screen time report as well.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hope this helps

IMG_0955-ConvertImage.jpg

Suggested posts