Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify group session kicks me out when I join and try to initiate playing a song

Spotify group session kicks me out when I join and try to initiate playing a song

None of the below information is required. However, the more you provide, the easier it will be for us to try and help.

Plan

Premium

Country united states

Device

(iPhone, Macbook Pro)

Operating System IOS

My Question or Issue

When I join a group session created by another person, and I try to play before the other person starts playing the first song, I get kicked out of the session.

But if the other person who is the owner of the session plays a song first, it works as expected. Meaning I can change the music, play, pause, etc

If this is a feature, we should let the owner of the session know that they should start the first song or initiate the music.

8 Replies

Hi there @Sunilb0575,

Thank you for your post here in the Community. We're happy to help.

We tried this from our end and we couldn't replicate the same behavior.

Can you log in with a different account - such as a friend's or a family member's and join the group session to see if the issue persist?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi Jeremy, thanks for the response.

Better explained. Example: Person A creates and sends session link to Person B. Person B joins and resumes the song. Person B gets kicked out of the session.

Hey @Sunilb0575,

Thanks for your reply.

We've tried it on our end and we can confirm that the person joining the session can resume the song being played or play another immediately after joining and won't be kicked out.

What we'd like you to try is to log in to another account, like a friend's or relative's, and try to reproduce this to check if you have the same issue with that account.

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

The same thing happened to me. I joined a group session and after every song, it kicks me out of the session.

A message appears saying "you have left the session" but I hadn't even touched my phone. 
Please help! 

Hi @dddaae,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

Can you try logging out, restarting your phone, and logging back in?

If that doesn't make any difference, could you try logging in to your account on a different phone and see if the issue persists? This would help us understand if this is account-related.

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

This is a super common issue with a lot of users that I've tried to use Spotify group listening to and it happens often the first few songs will be in sync and then either a person cues one or something and it shows them being in the session but in reality they are not and it's out of sync and the person gets kicked And sometimes you can't even end the session it just says this does not work scan the relaunch Spotify and it happens all of the time

This is a super common issue a person will join the group it will be insane for a couple of songs that either person tries to add a song or skip one it becomes out of  Sync and either x person cannot leave the group gets kicked from the group or says they're in the group and  They are not. I've been having this issue for months with any person I try to listen with it only works perfectly through the Discord group listening but that is not the same

Hey @Keegan6,

Thanks for your reply and for the info shared. 

In this case, would you mind sharing with us the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far? That way, we can avoid repeating any steps. If you haven't yet, we'd suggest you run a clean reinstall of the app on the affected device. By doing that the app can be up-to-date and you can make sure the cache is not leading to this inconvenience. You can follow the steps in this article to do it. 

If the above doesn't do the trick, would you mind sending us the make/model and OS of the affected device along with the Spotify version you're running there? Just to confirm, do you use a VPN service? If yes, try switching it off.

Lastly, is this happening over WiFi? 3G/4G? Both? Do you notice any difference if you switch the internet connection you're using? It'd be awesome if you could double-check. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Suggested posts