Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify icon 3D Touch problem

Spotify icon 3D Touch problem

Hello everyone,

Plan

Premium

Country

Turkey

Device

iPhone X

Operating System

iOS 12.0.1

My Question or Issue

My problem is basically when I press the Spotify icon firmly and hold it, the activated 3D Touch quick action panel does not show the most recently played playlists sometimes. Only thing I can see in that panel when I face this problem is the sharing option, i.e. "Share: Spotify", instead of most recently played playlists. Have you experienced the same problem? I searched that problem on Internet but I found nothing. Any help is appreciated!

12 Replies

Up 

Hey @onurkirimli

Every time I use the 3D Touch on the Spotify icon it always shows the recently played playlists.

Have you tried opening the app switcher and then closing out of the Spotify app completely? Then launch it again and try.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

There was already no problem if Spotify works in background, i.e. when I launch the app. What I meant is that it does not show the recently played playlists when Spotify is deleted from background sometimes. 

My problem has not been solved yet!

I have tested this across both of my iPhones and it looks like I have the same problem when the app is completely closed in the background (from the app switcher)

When l always leave Spotify in the app switcher then the 3D touch works every time.

I suggest to keep Spotify open in the app switcher so that the 3D touch icons can work every time. Not sure why it requires it to be open in the background (most apps word just fine if not already open) it could be to determine the most recently played items it needs to check the app (dynamic) versus the static 3D touch buttons that don't change on other apps.

Leaving Spotify open should be fine. The last few versions of iOS, Apple actually recommends not closing out of apps from the app switcher. The operating system handles power and idle apps so there shouldn't be a need to force close an app in the app switcher unless it's misbehaving.

MattSudaSpotify Star

I tested on another iPhone and it worked just fine without the app open in the switcher. Then I went back to the first 2 iPhones I tested and 3D touch icons started working again even with the app closed. 

It seems to me like this might actually be an issue in iOS. All iPhones running iOS 12.1

MattSudaSpotify Star

It does not make sense to me. I’ve tested it on another music streaming services’ apps like Tidal and Apple Music. I observed that 3D Touch support just works perfectly fine on those apps even when the app doesn’t work on the background. In addition to that, I want to mention one more thing and the thing is that 3D Touch support was working well on Spotify either but in earlier versions of the app. I don’t know how they did it but it seems that they made 3D Touch support work faulty somehow. So, I agree with you with the fact that this must be an issue on iOS devices. In my opinion, it should be fixed immediately because it’s quite annoying and makes the app harder to use. 

Note: My iPhone X is running iOS 12.1 too and the Spotify version is up to date. 

Hey,

Please make sure background app refreshing is enabled under Settings/General. After enabling the option, launch the Spotify app and exit to the home screen (without closing it completely) and try using 3D touch.

Then close the app from the app switcher and try 3D touch again. It should work.

Cheers.

All of things you mentioned were already as same as what you stated even before I open this thread. Therefore, it’s irrelevant to the problem. The problem still continues. 

I don't think background app refresh has anything to do with the 3D touch problem.

I usually keep background app refresh off for Spotify as there doesn't seem to be any benefit and it keeps battery life good.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Me too. I do not think that’s related to the problem either.  Despite of being irrelevant, I’ve given it a try anyway. However, it does not seem to be working out. That’s a proof of the irrelevancy. I can never see why people use corny lines instead of trying the problem by themselves and help people solve it for real. 

Up! Same problem. Spotify support in Twitter

was not able to help ;-(

Suggested posts