Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify is killing my iPhone

Solved!

Spotify is killing my iPhone

Hi everyone, 

I am having issues with Spotify. I am running iOS 11.3.1 in an iPhone 6+ and the device has begun to heat up like **bleep** when I am listening music in background. It didn't heat up like that except when I skipped a lot of songs at a time or when I was running another "heavy" app. Is that normal? Or are they mining crypto on our devices?

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @-_f1191qfuilk,

I hate to see that happening to you as well. Many other people are facing the same issue even with newer models. I think it might just be a bug that is causing that and it should be fixed in the next update.

In the mean time, you could try to reset your phone through iTunes, it will do a miracle to your device by removing all the junk and stuff being added up in the OS that would make it fail and make issues like this one pop up more often.

Another tip I would give is to close some apps in background that you aren't using but are just staying there. I know Apple says the opposite but when you aren't going to use them right away or the next few hours I don't see nothing good coming from keeping them open in the background. Limit the background app refresh because I am sure you don't need all the apps that support that to be constantly being refreshed in the background except for the ones you really need to.

Part of the big problem is also iOS 11, which boy was it buggiest one Apple ever released. 

However as I mentioned above, the next update of Spotify should fix this.

Hope it helped, if it did mark it as a solution and drop a like!

Cheers!

Edit: I edited my original post which was marked as a solution but Spotify removed it. No idea why. So I had to repost this. Don't hesitate to mark it as a solution.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Dude it was so fast and detailed!

I will try your tips for sure and hope they help me!

You rock!

Thanks a lot for the kind words!

Enjoy our community and if you have any questions or issues don't hesitate to ask for help here!

One of us will sure find a way to help you!

Have a nice day!

Nice seeing an actual response to this issue. Thank you. This issue seems to be affecting many of us.

Marked as solution

Hi @-_f1191qfuilk,

I hate to see that happening to you as well. Many other people are facing the same issue even with newer models. I think it might just be a bug that is causing that and it should be fixed in the next update.

In the mean time, you could try to reset your phone through iTunes, it will do a miracle to your device by removing all the junk and stuff being added up in the OS that would make it fail and make issues like this one pop up more often.

Another tip I would give is to close some apps in background that you aren't using but are just staying there. I know Apple says the opposite but when you aren't going to use them right away or the next few hours I don't see nothing good coming from keeping them open in the background. Limit the background app refresh because I am sure you don't need all the apps that support that to be constantly being refreshed in the background except for the ones you really need to.

Part of the big problem is also iOS 11, which boy was it buggiest one Apple ever released. 

However as I mentioned above, the next update of Spotify should fix this.

Hope it helped, if it did mark it as a solution and drop a like!

Cheers!

Edit: I edited my original post which was marked as a solution but Spotify removed it. No idea why. So I had to repost this. Don't hesitate to mark it as a solution.

This advice was not helpful to me and is a thin attempt to blame the phone instead of the app. Background processes are not causing Spotify to suddenly consume battery, that would be those apps consuming battery, if anything. 

I am also unsure of what you mean when you say "reset your phone in iTunes". There is no "iTunes" app to speak of besides iTunes Store, which does not have an actual reset option. Are you saying to format the phone? If so, that is a laughable suggestion that might as well be "uninstall Spotify" instead.

I'm sorry for the harsh tone, but the avoidance of clear responsibility from Spotify on this is really frustrating and shakes my faith in their platform.

Yeah, sorry, but that is absolutely not a "solution" and it shouldn't be marked as such. The solution is for Spotify to fix the issue. There is nothing wrong with our phones.

Hey @burgurdy,

I don't mind your harsh tone. But I do mind your total lack of knowledge about this.

Using iTunes, "on PC" as you didn't get it should have made it clear, to reset your phone fixes more things than you might imagine but sine you have no idea about it you would call it an attempt to avoid responsibility from Spotify and in case you haven't noticed I don't work for them!

Another fact, don't know if you are aware that iOS 11 exists, because you may still be on iOS 10, it was a total disaster. The buggiest OS that was out there. I have been using it since Beta 1 until iOS 12 came to light and things haven't changed that much. Hopefully they will. Same with Spotify, a new UI is out there, things have changed and it is as buggy as 11 is. They haven't updated the app in a month in the App Store and that's because they may be working to fix those issues for anyone who is experiencing them. 

Have a nice day 🙂

Hey @burgurdy,

I don't mind your harsh tone. But I do mind your total lack of knowledge about this.

Using iTunes, "on PC" as you didn't get it should have made it clear, to reset your phone fixes more things than you might imagine but sine you have no idea about it you would call it an attempt to avoid responsibility from Spotify and in case you haven't noticed I don't work for them!

Another fact, don't know if you are aware that iOS 11 exists, because you may still be on iOS 10, it was a total disaster. The buggiest OS that was out there. I have been using it since Beta 1 until iOS 12 came to light and things haven't changed that much. Hopefully they will. Same with Spotify, a new UI is out there, things have changed and it is as buggy as 11 is. They haven't updated the app in a month in the App Store and that's because they may be working to fix those issues for anyone who is experiencing them. 

Have a nice day 🙂

Hey @owmybrain,

I am not denying Spotify's fault on this.

Since it worked for that user it means something.

I know it isn't worthy to do it just for an app but update after update things get messy.

A clean install is the only solution to that. I guess you understand that 🙂

What a lovely response! :eyeroll:

You want to pin me for not assuming the "on PC" bit that you didn't include in your response, but then go on to assume that I haven't even figured out how to update my phone in the last 12 months. Quite an interesting set of expectations! 

For those referencing this thread to actually voice their concerns instead of antagonize other users, I'm on iOS 11.4 on an iPhone X. 

Hey @burgurdy and @owmybrain,

Sorry to hear that you’re also experiencing this issue outlined in the thread, too.

It’d be great to know the following from both of you exactly:

• The model of iPhone and it’s iOS version (and if an update’s required)
  • The exact app version (and if an update’s required)
  • If you’re streaming over mobile data, WiFi, or both
  • If you have any other apps running in the background on the phone when it happens
  • How much free space you have left on the device

Rest assured, any updates and clearing of the device's unused apps should improve the performance of the app for you. Let us know the above any we'll continue to investigate if you need us.

Thanks, we’ll be on the lookout for your reply.

iPhone X and 7 here

Happens on both also offline playlists.

No other apps running 20 percent battery drain in 15 minutes.

iPhone SE

iOS 11.4 (happened in last iOS version as well)

No other apps running

Latest iOS 11.4

Wifi or not

Also likes to drain fast when casting to a Chromecast audio device even though it's not technically playing the music. As an aside, it'd be nice if you eventually fixed the Chromecast Audio groups issue. Another one that's been hanging around for quite a while now 🙂

Suggested posts