Premium

Country

Australia

Device

iPhone 8 Plus

Operating System

iOS 14.3

My Question or Issue

The app will not let me even play half a song without crashing. I have logged in and out, updated, uninstalled and reinstalled, and even updated my iOS. It won’t play songs downloaded onto my phone, or stream new ones. It’s just as bad after updating everything, if not worse, as it was before. It started happening probably a week ago and has only gotten progressively worse to the point where I can’t listen to anything. Please god fix it I hate free YouTube music so much

30 Replies

Hey again @Croseshe,

Thank you for your reply.

We just want to make sure that it's definitely an issue isolated to your account with that specific device. Creating a new account would help us identify that. You can still keep your current account.

Let us know how the new account works so we can continue assist you 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I made a new account, and yes it works.

what now?

Hey again @Croseshe,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation, and also for the troubleshooting steps you've taken so far.

Can you let us know if you follow a lot of artists and likes a lot of music on your active account?

Keep us posted 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

Yes, I use my account a lot. Can you fix it? I’ve now not been able to use Spotify for a like month and have been paying for it.

Hey again @Croseshe,

Thank you for confirming.

Having a large library can make the app slower, especially on certain devices.

Can you let us know how many liked songs you have?

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

1005. I have doubts this is a weird amount of songs to be liked, and even so, it shouldn’t make my app not work. 

Hey @Croseshe,

Thank you for your reply.

That shouldn't be an issue. As we mentioned before the issue seems to be related to your account.

At this point the best option would be to transfer all your music to your new account, and if it still works fine, cancel any potential subscription and start using the new account. The algorithm should soon be up-to-speed with your preferences again.

You can read more about how you start over with a new account here and how to transfer your library here.

If you have any questions we're always one reply away.

JeremyModerator

Is there no actual IT person who can go into my account, look at the problem, and fix it? There’s no solution? 

Hey @Croseshe,

Thank you for getting back in touch with us.

As we've narrowed down the issue to your account with that specific device, the best solution really is to transfer your library to the new account.

Further investigation is difficult at this point as we're not able to reproduce your issue. We understand the inconvenience though and will make sure to forward this feedback to the right teams. Let us know how it works out with the new account, if you decide to go for that.

JeremyModerator

So I think I may have figured out what’s causing my issues. One of the things I do is download my music and turn off cellular data for Spotify, when I’m off wifi (just to save eating into my monthly data plan). When I play anything from a downloaded playlist, on Bluetooth (either in my car or on Bluetooth headphones), it crashes. Over the last year, I’ve turned my Liked playlist into a repository for all my songs I like listening to (it’s clocking in at about 769 songs currently). I make sure it’s downloaded, so I can listen on the go. Anytime I download a playlist, album, song, whatever, it seems to crash when the app is in offline mode. Could it be the amount I currently have downloaded is causing the app to crash? I also don’t see how creating a new account would solve the issue.

Hi there @ivseat,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

Just to confirm, is the crashing only happening when connected via Bluetooth? The number of Liked Songs you have shouldn't be the issue.

Also, could you try enabling the Offline Mode in the app but without turning off cellular data for Spotify on your phone, and let us know if that makes any difference? Keep in mind that when the Offline Mode is enabled, the app consumes a very small amount of mobile data to none at all.

The point of trying with a different account is to check if we can isolate the issue to a single account and determine if it's account-related. If that's the case, the best thing to do is to create a new account and transfer all your content over, but we'd like you to try it first as it might not be the case for everyone.

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

Suggested posts