Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify keeps disconnecting from chromecast

Spotify keeps disconnecting from chromecast

Plan

Premium

Country

Device

iPhone 7

Operating System

iOS 13.4

My Question or Issue

Every few songs/minutes my chromecast audio disconnects from Spotify app and has troubles connecting back in. I've checked the issue and it only happens with Spotify.

30 Replies

I do have a Samsung (Galaxy S10) but the "Allow background activity" option did not work for me. However, what did work was adding Spotify to the list of "Apps not optimized". I've played a couple albums now start to finish with no interruptions. If your phone has a similar option try that.

Thanks for the solution lux-artist-wth!

I checked and in my case, the run in background setting is set.

I think that the problem comes from something that the app does when it is
running.

If I kill the after I have select the music on the chromecast, the music
continues.

Allowing all background activity has solved the problem on my Huawei P20 pro. Thank you! 

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to us about this!

We're currently investigating this issue in this Ongoing Issue thread - we'll make sure to keep you posted with any updates there.

Cheers!

This is a decent workaround for the problem, as soon as the app reopens in the cellphone the playback stops in the Chromecast, thanks for sharing the tip

Hi, I had this exact problem for ages on my Pixel 3 but had a work around where I used the Google Home app to actually start playing music - after starting to play a track, actual control of music was thereafter uninterrupted via the Spotify App.

But my girlfriend didn't need to use the workaround on her Pixel 3 so I guessed there must be some difference between our phones.

So I compared phones and found that on my phone under Settings/Network and Internet/Wi-Fi/[your wifi connection]/Advanced/Privacy that my phone was set to "Use randomised MAC (default)". I assume something similar exists on iOS for iPhones.

When I changed this to "Use device MAC" I found Spotify worked with my Chromecast Audio with no disruption and I didn't have to use the Home workaround.

I've no idea what difference the 2 settings make but it seemed to work for me!

The IOS equivalent is Settings, WIFI, Private Address under the wifi you pick. 

tldr; Cast from Spotify then immediately kill the Spotify app, the app is what causes periodic disconnects.

I've had the problem on both ios and Android.

I spent a long time frustrated with this.

Could be some design problem of chromecast, but I doubt it, i would guess Spotify just can't get their act together.

It's not your phone

Its not your internet.

Its not fudging software version.

Its just the god damn Spotify app, close it after casting.

We are in 2023, Spotify still has this Chromecast issue! When I use it with my Chromecast Audio, if I make a pause for 1 minute, it losts connnection and it's impossible to find my Chromecast Audio to reconnect it !! I have this issue since years now !

@Spotify, guys would you make something ??!!

I really, really think to change for Youtube Music....

I have same issue. Tried all of the things in this thread and nothing worked. 

Any ideas? 

Same problem with office chromecast for reception area.  Ridiculous, I have other things to do other than drop what I'm doing to try to reconnect it every other song.  I'm using Google Pixel 7a, Android version 14. Fix it.

Suggested posts