Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify keeps playing after answering phone call

Spotify keeps playing after answering phone call

iPhone 7s, iOS 10.3.3, Spotify 8.4.8

Steps to reproduce:

1. Play music from iPhone. (Just happened using the built-in speaker; not sure if this matters).

2. Receive a phone call. Music pauses during this time.

3. Answer phone call.

Expected result: music stays paused.

Actual result: music resumes playing while on the phone call.

This only started within the last couple weeks, but not sure the exact Spotify version that caused this. Super annoying, as my job involves handling lots of phone calls, and it's quite frustrating to start every call with "one moment, my music keeps playing over your voice - gotta go to Spotify and pause it".

Not sure if this helps, but there is a lengthy thread about this same issue happening on Android a couple years ago.

18 Replies

Having the same issue since updating my iPhone 6 to iOS 10.3.3 - Music playing, get a call, music pauses but then starts playing again at half volume? It's like the phone call and the spotify app are competing 50/50 for volume. Never had a problem before but was forced to update iOS for security reasons.

Also, the problem seems to happen when the phone is connected to the car stereo via Apple Car Play (USB connection), if I disconnect the phone and switch to bluetooth the problem doesn't happen.

Any chance there will be a Spotify fix coming soon?

As of a couple days ago, Spotify will now pause for about the first 5 seconds of the call, but then start playing again (and, like sjkiwi said, will come in at half volume). This at least gives a moment to jump into Spotify to be able to pause it, but is still a pain.

Everyone I work closely with is aware that "Spotify has a bug" because that's how every one of my phone calls starts...

Update from iOS 11: After answering the phone call, the music still starts playing after about 5 seconds. But now if I try to pause the music from the lock screen widget, the icon will change as if the music had paused, but will not actually pause. So I now need to end each received phone call, pause my music, then call them back.

Apparently I'm the only person experiencing this issue, but wow is it annoying....

I have the same issue.  Iphone 7+, ios 11.1; Spotify 8.4.25.906.  Very bad situation.  How do we escalate so that someone at Spotify actually lets us know that this issue is being worked on and will be resolved?

Hello

I have the same issue. Spotify keeps on when emitting or receviving calls. The other party does not hear the music.

I must crash the application to make it stop. 

FYI, it appears that this has been fixed as of a couple weeks ago. Wish there had been better communication on this, but thanks for the fix, Spotify!

This is happening for me on a Verizon iPhone X running iOS 11.2.6 and Spotify version 8.4.43 - it’s happened the last 2 times I’ve received calls. Everything is up to date, and I am also experiencing the inability to pause via widget (though the widget changes the play/pause icon, nothing happens,) however opening the app and pausing from it works. Please fix this!

Still happening for me here!

I am still seeing this as well. 

iOS 11.2.6

Bluetooth via Airpods. 

The workaround that fixed the problem for me was toggling off "Allow handoff between this Mac and your Icloud devices" found in my Mac's system preferences/general.  I have no clue as to the logic of this solution but since I have done this I have not had the problem. 

Having the same issue on iOS 11. Really annoying having to hang up every time. 

Same thing happened to me yesterday, and reproduced:

I have spotify on my iPhone and on my TV (Windows).

1. Play something on the TV (Control it with the iPhone through "Spotify Connect")

2. Receive a phone call

Actual result:

1. When picking up the call, music instantly stops on the TV, and start playing through the iPhone, during the phone call.

2. It seems that during the call, Spotify in the TV is playing, but through the iPhone. The progress bar in the TV is progressing, and "Spotify Connect" on the TV shows that it's controlling the iPhone.

Expected result:

Music will keep playing on the TV during the phone call.

Yep, the bug is definitely resolved with turning off the Handoff setting. Settings > General > Handoff. The bug seems to be more of an issue in recent versions of  iOS versus being a Spotify specific bug. For me, the issue is present even when I have launched Apple Music ... so it's a problem even if I have not launched/used Spotify prior to a call.

Same problem:

iPhone X, iOS 11.3.1 (newest), Spotify 8.4.53 (newest, it happened before), connected to BT in Car.

When I play music using spotify (only spotify, other music apps are fine), and got a call, music stops for 1-2s, and then starts playing in background, quieter. It is very annoying. 

It started few weeks ago, before that it was fine.

I tried to reinstall spotify but it didnt work.

P.S. Turning handoff off is not a solution, I use this feature very often between iPhone and Mac.

this happens to me too, i usualy redownload the app and it works fine or i also turn my phone on and off (the same thing happens to me with youtube and netflix sometimes) hope I helped

Having the same problem too

I also have the issue! iPhone X iOS 11.4, Spotify 8.4.53.689. When I take a call through Mazda Connect in my Car while listening Spotify, music starts playing in the background and I cannot hear a thing. Please fix this.  

Having the same issue on my iphone IOS 11.2.6 since a couple of days! Spotify doesn’t stop playIng while taking a phone call or recording a voice message in whatsapp.

I have turned off the handoff but now spotify doesn’t restart playing automatically after I finish the call or the recording.

can you please advise?

cheers!

Suggested posts